I just want to share my experience for anyone thinking of terminating their pregnancy.

Right on new year’s day (1/1/06) after feeling sick for days, I decided to take a home pregnancy test, and it was positive. I knew right away what I needed to do.

A bit of background on me: i’m 28 yrs old, going through a separation, have a beautiful 4 yr old girl, and facing a judgment which god only knows how I will end up after they garnish my wages. I can’t depend on spouse for money (it’s a whole different subject) so i’m basically on my own, live by myself with my daughter, working full time, going to college part-time, struggling to give my little girl all that I can. I feel so bad that i’m not able to spend as much time as I would like with her, plus, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I went through severe hyperemesis. I spent the entire nine months vomiting and throwing up the entire nine months. I was in and out of the hospital the entire time. It was not a pleasant experience.

So now knowing what I needed to do, I talked to my doctor last tuesday and she referred me to a clinic to have the procedure done. I’m so glad my insurance covered it, I only paid a 5 dollar co-payment. So this past saturday (1/7/06) I went the clinic accompanied by my best friend. It went much better than what I expected. I first thought of taking the abortion pill, you know, the one that makes you have a miscarriage in the privacy of your own home, but after doing a lot of research on it, I decided it would be best and get the “d & c” done and get it over with quick and painless.

I was so surprised to see so many girls there in the waiting room. There must have been at least about 25 girls, most very young, I was probably one of the oldest ones there. The procedure itself only lasted about 5 to 10 minutes. I was completely asleep through the procedure, and when I woke up about 15 minutes later in the recovery room, the only thing I felt was a bit of cramps, similar to the ones you get when you are on your period. The entire staff at that clinic were so caring and comforting, they were the best! After about 20 minutes in the recovery room, I felt absolutely fine. They discharged me and we left the clinic and went to have lunch nearby in a restaurant. I was there for a total of about 3 hours, but most of the time I was filling out paperwork and just waiting in the waiting room for them to call my name. Later on that evening, I attended my little niece’s birthday party and I felt fine. My bleeding was not even that heavy like the way I thought it would be, I guess it depends on how far along you are pregnant, I was only 6 weeks.

Given my current situation, I absolutely have no regrets for what I did. I am just upset at myself for allowing myself to be put in a situation like this. I should have made smarter decisions about sex.

Anyone thinking of having an abortion, make sure this is what you really what to do, especially all you very young girls. It’s a very difficult decision to make, just look at the pros and cons about how this baby will affect your life as well as the baby’s life, and make the best choice from this.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sand77
|

replied January 9th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am glad to hear that everything went well and that you had a good experience. If you want, you can also share your experience at Imnotsorry.Net and read other .Women's experiences as well. Take care of yourself and your little girl and best of luck in the settlement. It can't be easy to be going through a separation and then have an unintended pregnancy adding to that. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Peace,
jenn
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yes, thank you for sharing! I only wish more insurance covered pregnancy termination.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
carifairy wrote:
yes, thank you for sharing! I only wish more insurance covered pregnancy termination.

do you think most insurances don't pay for abortion? As far as I know insurance companies do like to cover for abortions since this is better for them. It is way cheaper for them to just pay for an abortion than to pay 9 months of pregnancy care and post natal care etc.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Fortis/time (time is the new name) does not cover abortion procedures. Blue cross blue shield of nc only covers it if you select "maternity rider coverage" which is an extra 335$ a month... I buy my own insurance, so for the self employed the coverage for abortion isn't standard..
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
carifairy wrote:
fortis/time (time is the new name) does not cover abortion procedures. Blue cross blue shield of nc only covers it if you select "maternity rider coverage" which is an extra 335$ a month... I buy my own insurance, so for the self employed the coverage for abortion isn't standard..

oh I c. Wow that is a lot of $. I heard for pregnancy I would only pennies having the blue cross blue shield of nc hmo.
|

replied January 14th, 2006
I here to give and recieve support. It makes me sad to see people judging others. This lady is opening herself up for support.

I think we all try to make the best decisions for ourselves. All we can do is try.
|

replied January 14th, 2006
nightangel73 wrote:
carifairy wrote:
fortis/time (time is the new name) does not cover abortion procedures. Blue cross blue shield of nc only covers it if you select "maternity rider coverage" which is an extra 335$ a month... I buy my own insurance, so for the self employed the coverage for abortion isn't standard..

oh I c. Wow that is a lot of $. I heard for pregnancy I would only pennies having the blue cross blue shield of nc hmo.
even with insurance through a company or state/government agency (depending largely on which state you are working for), abortions are usually not covered. Yes, prenatal care would end up costing the insurance company more money than an abortion but you have to think about it long term. The insurance company is going to get their money either from your employer or from yourself. They get more money whenever new dependents are added to the coverage. For the most part, the majority of people who have health insurance don't hardly use it because they have access to good nutrition, decent housing, and preventative care. So, if I am an insurance company, I stand to make much more money if the woman keeps her pregnancy and has a live birth. Even though i'll pay out anywhere from $6,000 - $8,000 for a pregnancy, there will be 18 years, largely untouched other than for minor colds and the like, where I will be collecting money that I don't have to use. I spend the little money now to keep collecting the money for a good portion of the child's life, if I were an insurance company.

My husband worked for the state and at the time, it was cheaper for me to go on planned parenthood's sliding scale for my birth control pills than it was for me to pay full price at the pharmacy, even though my insurance covered some of the cost of the pills.

What good is health insurance when you cannot even afford to pay the copay?
|

replied January 28th, 2006
acoles70 wrote:
there are people that don't see, should we abort them. There are handicap people that are unable to process cognitive thought, hel.L lets give them the axe too. There are people unable to breathe without a machine, rid the world of them too right? You logic is absoluetly ridiculous. Is this the reasoning people have to kill?? We ought to be ridding the world of the oxygen thieves that have abortions, versus innocent babies.

Ashlee
what is at issue in this particular forum is support for the individual .Woman posting here either looking for information or help. This forum is not to post your opinion or to squabble over differences of opinion such as person/non-person. To post your opinion and disagreements as to other people's opinions, please go to the abortion debate forum. There you may post all of your opinions and argue to your heart's content over differences of opinion.

Let's try to keep this forum free of disrespectful comments from both sides as it is for support and support only.
Thank you.
Peace,
jenn
|

replied July 9th, 2012
Thank you for your story it really help ease my nerves. Already plan to go through with an abortion this month. I have my reasons...ex-boyfriend took the the condom off without my consent, he already has another girl, that he was cheating on with, 3 months pregnant!!!! That I just found out about!!! And he knew I didn't want kids anytime soon, I'm 24, and working on becoming a radiologist! And on top of that he gave me chlamydia!!!! We have always used condoms and I was on birth control but missed one month cause I couldn't make it to my doctor to get a refill! But I so pray that my insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield SC pay for something if not the whole thing!! At planned parenthood SC its $520, NC planned parenthood its $475!! If not I'm still going through with it someway somehow cause I refused to be knocked up by such a poor excuse of a man against my will!....So if anyone know anything from experience about Blue Cross Blue Shield SC abortion coverage please free to reply!
|
Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...