I am a very healthy 17 year old girl, working out at least 6 days a week and eating healthy. Two weeks ago when I was on the eliptical I noticed that my heart rate was pounding and bpm was 177. I got nervous and decided to get off. This has been happing to me everday since then. I took 5 days off from working out and slept a lot but my heart rate still wouldn't go down when working out. The other day when I tried to go running my heart rate shot up to 200!!! I thought that I wouldn't be able to make it home. Last year I had my heart checked with and ekg, echo cardiogran, x-rays and now i'm wearing a 30 day heart moniter. Everything so far has come back normal. My doctor did find a mitral valve prolaps, but said it was nothing to worry about. I've also noticed a tingling sensation every so often in my left pinky and thumb. This is becoming more then I can bear! I hate not being able to push my body to its fullest extent! I need to start training for track, but I cant! When I was just going on a walk today my heart rate shot up to 170 and I wasn't pushing myself at all! It took about 10 min for it go go down to its normal rate. This is really worring me! Could this be related to anxiety or some underlying heart disease? I get so worried like what if I die or have some type of crazy cancer! Please post a reply!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 23rd, 2007
Rapid Heart Beat
I have recently developed similar symptoms following a chest infection - Rapid, pounding heart beat of up to 200bpm, occurring at random intervals especially but not exclusively while exercising with associated chest pain and fatigue.
I have had physical examination, ECG & X-rays and am awaiting the results of a baseline ECG and blood tests, but my doctor is reasonably confident that the problem is due to a thyroid problem, such as hyperthyroidism causing an overproduction of hormones that control the heart rate and strength. I am informed that this is a very easily treated condition and is not much to worry about, despite the difficulty in doing this when your heart is beating at 200bmp after climbing a small set of stairs.
|

replied August 25th, 2007
I have a friend who experienced something like that. Doctor found out she has high levels of anxiety. She went into therapy then. Wink
|

You may want to get second opinion then.
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Jnine,

Have you asked yourself why are you pushing yourself so hard?
Whose expectations are you living up to?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2007
I get these kind of palpitations all the time. Last night I had some when I was in bed trying to sleep! Ive suffered with anxiety for about 5 years, had alot of heart checks and everythings fine. Anxiety/stress is a very powerful thing, it could easily just be that... and all the adrenalin your putting into everything you do might be tipping your heart rate up and up. By the sounds of it you might be making it even worse, now your worrying about it and your track running, it'll become a vicious cycle, everytime you train your heart rate goes crazy as your anxious about it the whole time?

Keep pestering your doctor. If you have had all the nessisary heart-checks and there all clear, theres no need to worry that there might be something wrong with your heart... practise breathing techniques and relaxation techniques. Try not to panic to much when its happening or it'll be even harder to make your heart settle down. When your young, there is nothing dangerous about your heart rate going up to 200.

Hope you work it all out soon. Keep us posted.
|

replied September 11th, 2007
You probally are pushing yourself too hard. When you are constantly checking your heart rate or worried about it, you are just adding to the problem. The heart rate as you know is supposed to rise during exercise and when you become nervous about it being high or pounding the body 's flight or fight system kicks in gear causing hormones to be releaseed into the blood stream. These hormones cause the release of adreneline and that will raise your heart rate even more. You might have an anxiety disorder and can be triggered by the lactate acid produced be exercising. just relax and know that if your docter has ruled out heart problems or thyroid problems you' ll be ok. I had this same reaction when i was weight training and started to were a heart rate moniter and it freaked me out.
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Rapid Heart Beat?
Don't know if you have solved this problem yet or not but I am 33 now and when I was about 20 I started having a rapid heartbeat...didn't think much of it as it didn't happen that often. Then when I was 28 my heart started to race much more often and faster,over 220 bpm during the spells. It was actually your tingly fingers that caught my attention as I had had the same symptoms but in my thumb and index finger. Then the numbness/tingling moved to the other fingers, my left arm and eventually my legs. All the while the rapid beating worsened as well. After 2 years and 20 different doctors, giving me painkillers but no help, I was diagnosed with herniated discs in my neck! I had a spinal fusion at the C4-5 and C6-7 levels 3 years ago and the rapid heart beat, the tingling fingers, the digestive problems etc. went away or lessened to virtually gone. Within the past 2 months symptoms have been coming back and after having another MRI done the fusion at 6-7 is not healing "properly" and there are other herniations started. So I think there is a definite connection between my rapid heart beat and the nerves that are being compressed by the herniations. If you are still suffering from this and haven't had your spine/nerves checked go to a neurologist! Hope you have found relief......
|
Users who thank bluebyrd26 for this post: Anarka 

replied October 18th, 2009
Bluebyrd I am very intrigued by your post. I have been having rapid heart rate for 6 years! At the same time that started I began having pain down my back and left leg, probably thru my sciatic nerve. I have had an MRI of my lumbar spine turn out ok. However I am convinced of compressed nerves still because I get muscle twitches all over. I've always had a bad back from mild scoliosis and bad posture. I've also had thryoid levels checked, ECG of heart, stress test, 24 hour urine test, everything all normal. Are you doing better these days?
|

replied August 5th, 2013
pain in left jaw, arm and throb at end of left index finger, could it be heart related?
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....