Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > First Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

First Trimester of Pregnancy Question

User Profile
Hi doctor,
My question for you is i just found out i was pregnant on the 5th of january. I went to the dr. the following day and got confirmed. They said i was about 4 or 5 weeks. My first day of my last period was on the 9th of december. On december 16 - 19 i was in the ER because i was having painful stomach pain and throwing up so they put me on IV and some nausea medicine along with morphine while i was there. They also made me take a cat scan to check my stomach and did ultrasounds. They didnt really find anything other than a small cyst. But before they did the cat scan they said they took a urine test to rule out pregnancy. I didnt think at the time that i could be pregnant because i just had my period. When they discharged me they gave me vicodin (i took like 1 or 2), some kind of enema to stop nause ( i didnt use that), and a pill that they told me to take that started with a "p" to help the stomach pain (i only took that once). When i went to the dr. on the 6th i told her all of this and she didnt really tell me anything other than the cat scan was either going to kill the baby or not do anything at all. But shes also not going to be my dr. throughout the pregnancy because she doesnt deliver, so she reffered me and i made an appt for the 17th of this month. Im so worried that something is going to happen to the baby after going through the whole er thing. Im also on zyrtec d-12 which i take twice daily to prevent my allergy attacks which get really bad to a point where i cant function and wont stop sneezing. She said to stop that for now until i see that other dr. So since ive taken zyrtec d-12 pretty much all of my pre-teen - now life does that affect the baby. I also dont take vitamins but i was told to start taking prenatal vitamins so im going to get some today and start taking. Is there anything i can do to or should ask the dr. when i see her. Because my family is all so worried that with all the medications ive taken both recently and throughout my life that its will all affect my baby. And theyre talking about getting rid of it because of the possibility that it could be mental retarded or have sme kind of disorder with the brain or body. I dont believe in abortion but if a dr. told me that my baby could turn out with something i dont know if i could handle that. If theres anything you can tell me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for time.

Sincerely,
Tanya

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2006
First Trimester of Pregnancy Answer A95
“Zyrtec” (ceterizine) is not recommended during pregnancy ,except if the potential benefit to the mother justifies the potential risk to the fetus. In your case, you can stop taking that medicine now. To summarize, it seems that you probably conceived between the 20th-22th of December. You report that a pregnancy test was negative during your treatment in the ER (from the 16th-19th of December). And now, you have confirmation of pregnancy. Therefore, let us discuss possible negative "outside effects" during the first 3 weeks of pregnancy (stadium of egg)... Your doctor is correct to state that there is a rule of “everything or nothing”. A baby may either die or develop normally if the external environment cannot support development. Further, genetics dictate that a fetus will either come to term and be born, or will self-destruct. In other words, a fetus whose genes are too "disrupted" (out of synch) might automatically abort, and the growth process will be cut short. In addition, there exist several regular ultrasound checks during pregnancy to monitor development. If and when a fetal anomaly is detected (perhaps caused by your medical history), you can decide whether or not to proceed to carry the fetus to term. Thus, it is not possible to predict the effect that your medical history will have on an unborn fetus...this is something that can be analysed in time.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our First Trimester of Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.