Which would be the better choice long term

does anyone know of any surgeons in the southeastern us that performs the tdr's?

I really don't want a fusion at all. Have heard too many horror stories and how people are still living in just as much pain as they were.

Heather
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Honey75
|

replied January 7th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Disc replacement if it is a choice. Although I am still experiencing pain, mine is diagnosed as facetogenic and with the right treatment, cureable. I lost my health insurance and now I have my wife's plan. School teacher insurance inflorida is horrible and they do not cover the facet blocks nor the oblation if the blocks work.

Anyway, get the disc if you can! You lose no range of motion with the disc.
|

I am certainly going to try. From what little i've seen on the matter, it's definitely the way I want to go. I know that there's some controversy about how long they hold up though, but what the hell, i'd rather risk that than the fusion, where you are just about guaranteed more surgeries in the future, removal of hardware, etc...

Thanks again steve

heather
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Hey bob I am brian.... :p

yes I agree. The testing that du puy is doing to ensure the reliabiity of the charite lumbar and the bryan cervical discs goes far beyond that of most medical devices. If you look up the information about the disc you are getting, you will read about the testing that device gets before it is put in someone here in the .U.S.

Brian :p
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Heather ~

you really need to do more research before jumpimg into fusionor adr. Here is a good start for adr.

adr support forum

http://www.Adrsupport.Org/private-cgi-bin/ ultimatebb.Cgi

adr is not always the best answer. If your surgeon didn't suggest it to you then ask why? I have had all fusions and I am very happy with my out come. Don't let anyone talk you into anything. Please research both fusion and adr on many sites. Look at both information sites and support gruop sites where people have had both. If you need more sites please let me know.

Imshirl
|

replied January 8th, 2006
Shoot brian,
i know name. I don't know why I called you steve. Sorry! :roll:

heather
|

replied May 21st, 2006
to Heather029
Hi, I just talked to someone today who had the artificial disk. His pain is worse and he said he would not do it again. I am scheduled for a fushion on june 20th. L5s1 is my problem. I may be making a mistake, but I want it fused and be done with this pain I hope. I would love to hear from people who have had the fushion. Melto9
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Hi melto9 ~

I have hear the same thing you have about adr. I believe the big problem with adr is that the people getting them also have facet joint problems and this is why they still have pain or even more pain once the adr is in. In order to have good results with adr one has to have good facet joints.

Will your fusion be posterior or anterior and with or without hardware? Will you be using your own bone for the fusion or donor?

I am fused from l3-s1, both anterior and posterior with bak cages, rods and screws. I first had the anterior side done with bak cages and then 3 years later which was last year in may I had the posterior side done with rods and screws. Please let us know what you would like to know about the surgery or anything related to the surgery, pre-op and post-op.

Imshirl :d
spine and beyond
|

replied May 22nd, 2006
Spine Fushion
To imshirl, I am having the posterior fushion with cages and the new metamorphogenic (probably spelled wrong) bone graft. They will not have to take bone from my hip.Supposidly this fuses faster than my own bone and only one surgery site.Thanks for replying.
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Spinal disk fusion L4/L5 and possibly L5/s1
Uncertain about getting a disk fusion. Already have had 2 diskectomy/laminectomy of the l4/l5. Recvd numerous caudal steroid injections, therapy, etc. doc said either live with the pain or fuse the disk. Any suggestions? thanks
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
some one any one please help me.
Someone, anyone, Please Help me.

My Surgeon/doctor is not going decompress or use any cages or spacers of any kind in a fusion of L5-S1 he says that the two vertebrae are solidly sitting together at the back and there is only a sliver of a disk left. he plans to leave it right where it is, and just place the rods and screws to prevent slippage from side to side. He needs to wait 6 weeks because I am at home with a Picc Line Pumping vancomiacin that I'm onto treat the second staph infection I managed to pick up in one of my five surgeries that I have had on the L5-S1 location
since January of 2009.

He needs decompress to take the pressure off the nerve/s and give me relief from this pain. I am in such horrible pain (so much that i was admitted for five days on suicide watch because, I just wanted the pain to end ) and now I'm having bladder and functionality problems and I have repeatedly asked for referrals, but i haven't gotten anywhere yet.

It is now June 20 2009, if there is any one out there who knows a good back doctor anywhere who can help to fix me, please write me.

I can probably get them the MRI reports, MRIs and any other information they
Need. Thanks for your help.
|

replied March 6th, 2010
ADR Failure
Don't do the ADR!!!!!!!!! This should be illegal!!!!! I have been left with worse pain after the surgery than before. As for the people that say you need to be the right candidate, I was the perfect candidate per my doctor. Young, with healthy facets. The disc replacement is terrible! I will tell you why. The ADR has caused my facets to become distracted on one side and compressed (bone on bone) on the other. Also, it has caused a stress fracture on another level. Now, I have to get two fusions as a result from the ADR. The pain is terrible. It's everywhere. From my back, to my legs, and the feeling like I'm stepping on sharp nails on the bottoms of both my feet. Getting the ADR was the worst decision I have ever made. The manufacturer should be sued and held liable for destroying peoples' lives. By the way, I'm not the only one with this condition. From what I have heard, it has happened to many people. What a tragedy that the FDA got suckered to pass the things. It should be recalled for sure. Johnson and Johnson is a criminal and somebody should go to prison. They know what these outcomes are but couldn't resist the money. Shame on them!
Jason
|
Users who thank appeljbc for this post: wizz 

replied March 6th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
did you have adr done in the usa? was the surgeon very experienced as the adr hasnt been done much here.....pete
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
Fusion
I am getting a fusion next week. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to recover. I had back surgery 6 years ago and now on the same disk.
|

replied February 22nd, 2011
Artificial disc replacement
Hi there
I had a disc replacement 4 weeks ago, through my abdomen and it was the worst thing, I have nerve damage in my leg and foot, and he scar is terrible, when you wake from the op your back is on fire and your stomach feels like you have been stabbed a million times, I am very mobile but living on painkillers for my leg, hopefully it will get better, but this was a shock of a operation.
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
Disc Replacement
I had a disc replacement done antierior @ L4/L5 in Januuary 2010. The pain that I had before surgery is gone, but I have totally different pain since the surgery. I still live on pain killers and muscle relaxers daily. My doctor keeps telling me everything looks fine on the x-ray so he is not sure why I am in so much pain. His answer, "we might just have to fuse it after all". NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! I just turned 35, I was very active before the accident that destroyed my back.......... Will I ever feel normal? I pray.
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
Artificial Disc Replacement Success
The greatest variable in any surgery is the skill of the surgeon. If that is levelized, then artificial disc replacement has many advantages over fusion, such as retaining the motion of the spine, much faster healing times and no contribution adjacent segment syndrome. Get the best private surgeon you can find (avoid corporately-owned hospitals). They are in Germany, because they have the greatest experience. Best wishes.
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...