Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass, Colon Disorders Question

User Profile
I am a 37 year old male.

In April 05 my 1st initial symptoms were discomfort in the lower left abdomen area and frequent urination with some discomfort in the urethra.

This persisted and I went to my doctors three days later. Upon examination my blood pressure was slightly elevated, near 140/90. The doctor ordered urine tests and some blood work. Urine came back negative for anything. Creatnine was elevated to 1.4 and serum calcium was 10.8.

These elevated readings began a series of numerous tests and the eventual visit to Urology, Gastro and Endocrinology.

I had abdominal ultra-sound, abdomen CT scans w/contrasts and a pituitary MRI. All came back normal.

Urology concluded I probably had a chronic prostrate infection and they could not do anything. This was after rectal exams w/seminal fluid microscope and cystoscoping to the bladder.

Gastro performed colonoscopy and endoscopies with minimal abnormal findings. Some colon bulges and mildly serrated Z line. There was some hyperemia in the stomach. These tests were performed in May 05. Since then I began experiencing upper right abdomen pain. I was given an ultrasound of the gall bladder as well as a bladder function test with the dye and xray. I have a pending follow-up to these results on 1/12/6.

Endocrinology ran many tests and concluded I had hyperparathyroidism due to elevated calcium and PTH, DEXA scan results. I had a parathyroid adenoma removed Sept 12th 2005. Since then my calcium and PTH have normalized.

I’ve had multiple 24 hour urine tests. Multiple blood tests, multiple CT scans, urethra scope, 2 endoscopies, 1 colonoscopy and 2 ultrasounds over the course of the last 9 months. Repeat testing of creatnine has normalized.

Unfortunately I continue to have discomfort and the following symptoms:

Urinary irritation and discomfort in the urethra. The frequency has subsided and the urinary discomfort is sporadic and not constant.
Upper right abdomen pain and discomfort. Within 3 days of this area of discomfort I experience soft sticky stools with some traces of black specks.
Torso pain and discomfort, as if my entire torso and around to the back are inflamed/irritated. Feels as if my insides are inflamed.

This had seemed cyclic in nature, where I would first experience the urinary discomfort and then the gastric discomfort, followed by the sticky stools with entire torso discomfort. It would repeat itself every 4-6 weeks. Now it appears fairly consistent with no break in the symptoms.

I’ve had no unusual bowel movements other then the sticky with black specks occasionally. The urinary irritation seems fairly constant with some days worse than others. The gastric pain in the upper right seems fairly constant with some days worse than others. At their worst, the discomfort causes me constant stress and sleep loss. Every other night I take Tylonel PM just so I can sleep.

Can anyone provide any insight as to what may be going on? This has been going on nearly 10 months and is not getting better. There is no family history of MEN. I had a 33 year old sister die of bone cancer. At this point my blood pressure remains elevated as well as cholesterol elevated. All other blood-work and urine normal.

I have a black lab who stays outside. We have numerous rats and mice in our area.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2006
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass, Colon Disorders Answer A115
Urinary irritation may be the result of chronic prostatitis if all other analyses (cystoscopia, rectal touché, urine) are normal. Stomach pain is probably a result of gastritis (hyperemia). You can check your blood pressure regularly and, for now, you can control it with diet (less salt in your food, for example). For the elevated LDL you report, you can consume less fats. Pharmaceuticals like simvastatin may be helpful... if they are necessary. For torso pain, you can request an ECG-examination to exclude or confirm heart disorder. If your black stools persist, you can take an HIV-test and request a coprocultura (microbiological investigation of feces) to ivestigate the origin or cause for this symptom.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.