Hello,

i have genital herpes and I am almost 8 months pregnant. I have spent countless hours on the computer and reading books about herpes and pregnancy. The fear of my baby getting this from me (if I deliver vaginally) scares me. I know the risks are small but there is still that risk.

I have talked to my Dr. Several times about what to do. He has told us that we can have a elective c-section but he still recommends vaginal.

I keep weighing the options, I want to give my baby every chance possible even if it means me going through the extra pain of recovery from a c-section. But I am still scared about have major surgery.

If there is anyone that has had this same issue I would sure love to hear from you. And share any stories you may have had. I do not really have anyone I can talk to about this. It is not exactly a topic you can bring up with people.

Thank you for listening,
newmommy911
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 31st, 2005
Experienced User
If it were my choice, I would do the elective c-section. C-sections are almost what you would consider a routine procedure. Now it is a fact that the baby can be exposed to the herpes virus, even if you aren't having an outbreak at the time through a vaginal birth. If I were you I would go with the path that is least likely to hurt the baby. Good luck sweetie!
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Unless u are having an outbreak at time of birth it is extremely safe to have a child vaginally.....

My friends has herpes and had her child the only repercussion she was made aware of was if she had the outbreak at time of birth she would need a c-section so the child wouldn't be infected...

In rare cases it can be transmitted by the placenta, other than that the chance of ur child getting herpes through a vaginal delivery is less than 1% some doctor will even give you meds ahead of time to make sure you dont get an outbreak (this is summarized from medical book) at time of birth(when ur waters break.) if the docter feels or see an immeniet outbreak they will perform a c-section because they dont have time to wait for vaginal cultures (pelvic exam) to come back

if you need any more info send me a message
jess
|

replied February 4th, 2006
Experienced User
I have herpes, and it was one of the first things we brought up at either my first or second visit to my obstetrician... He told me it was absoloutley fine to deliver the baby unless I was having an outbreak and if we were still worried about it we could talk about c-section.
|

Extremely eHealthy
If you girls are on anti-outbreak meds,(dont know what they are called) like they advertise on tv for your herpes, can you still take it while pregnant?? I am just curious.
|

Thanks For the Feedback!
Hello,

i have decided to give it a shot at a vaginal birth. I asked my doctor what he would have his wife do in this situation and he said he would definately go vaginal. So, I am going to trust my doctor.
I have 4 weeks to go and I am taking valtrax (which is safe). I have to take it a month prior to birth and a month after delivery.

Thank you for taking the time to post your help and feedback!

Newmommy911 :lol:
|

replied October 21st, 2012
seeking help
hi there girls im also 8 months pregnant and really want a csection but my doctor is not giving me a elective c section is this something they can do or do i have a choice. my husband and i never thought wed have kids and all we want is the one we are having and for the baby to be healthy. I havent had a successful pregnancy as far as outbreaks go and im on meds a 1000mg and still having problems why isnt my labor a planned c section should i demand it. thank you for the help
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
fatfamily02 wrote:
if you girls are on anti-outbreak meds,(dont know what they are called) like they advertise on tv for your herpes, can you still take it while pregnant?? I am just curious.

my doctor wants to put me on valtrex at 35 weeks. But I have taken it before routinely and still had an outbreak.
|

replied August 25th, 2007
Re: Thanks For the Feedback!
Newmommy911 wrote:
Hello,

i have decided to give it a shot at a vaginal birth. I asked my doctor what he would have his wife do in this situation and he said he would definately go vaginal. So, I am going to trust my doctor.

I have 4 weeks to go and I am taking valtrax (which is safe). I have to take it a month prior to birth and a month after delivery.

Thank you for taking the time to post your help and feedback!

Newmommy911 Laughing

I am in the same situation and here is my thoughts I have been diagnosed with HSV2 yet I have never had an outbreak luckily. My Dr. wants me to start Valtrex but I am scared that if I start it it will cause an outbreak I want very much to deliver vaginally and if the virus is spread thru skin to skin touch isn't there a possibility that during the C section that the fluids that get on the baby after leaving the amniotic sac could spread the virus to the baby???
|

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I Decided to Have a C-section
I have herpes II and I had an outbreak during my pregnancy in the 5th month. My doctor also assured me that I could deliver vaginally safely if I had no outbreak present at time of labor. But in my experience I have had outbreaks while routinely taking valtrex so taking valtrex at the end did not really make me feel any safer. Also I know that you can have an asymptomatic outbreak any time if you have herpes and while there may be no visable symptoms you are still contagious.

I lost a baby during a previos pregnancy at 5 months , and while unrelated to genital herpes I was so tramatized by that that I decided I didnt want to put my baby in any danger however small the risk and I chose to have an elective c-section. My recovery pain was minimal and controlled with pain meds and I healed fine. I was so happy that I chose to do that b/c I new I was making the best possible choice for me.

If you want to have a vaginal birth that is your choice but I just wanted to share my experience with you. I think that today c-sections are a very safe way to go and also you get to pick the birthday and not have to go thru the pain of childbirth. Good luck in whichever you choose!
|

replied February 12th, 2010
Question to newmommy911
I was just wondering how it turned out for you newmommy911.I am now in the same situation and trying to figure out how to proceed. I am 36 weeks and started valtrex a week ago. Please let me know if you had a natural birth?
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
there is extremely little chances of ur baby getting herpes from you, i recommend for you to ask your physician in detail.
|
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....