Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I'm 14 and I have constently thought about death since I was about 6. I have always wondered what happened after. I am a christian, so I thought until I realized that every religion (obviously) says that theirs is right and all others are wrong so how do we choose? I want to turn to christ but my faith has become almost empty. I wonder if its like before we were born. We new of nothing because we had no life. Or if its like when we sleep, just a long, never ending dream. Someone please help. I dont like feeling like everything is futile because we are all going to die :cry: . I dont want to make anyone depressed I just dont want to be either. Please reply.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper god4ever
|

replied December 28th, 2005
Supporter
Scaredofdeath,
for many years I was not afraid of death. I figured that one of two things would happen - I would either die and that would be the end. No more me thinking, scared, happy, nothing. Death wouldn't matter because I would no longer exist, dust. The other thought of when I die would be that I was still "alive," but a total different alive that we can only imagine (and probably not even close to what it's really like.)

so, what step do we take? The first thought - we don't have to do anything or think anything. So why are we even here on earth? To mope around or do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. I guess it could all be just the big bang theory, but I don't think so.

The other throught that death does matter - there are still two important questions to answer - do I want to go to heaven or do I want to go to hell? That's an easy answer - heaven. So what must I do to get to heaven? "believe on the lord jesus christ, and thou shalt be saved." hmmm, believe on a person that could be a total hoax or what?

Did you know that the christian faith is the only "religion" that gives man the option of going to a heaven or a hell? That's pretty amazing when you think about it. What do the other religions believe? You might be surprised that all they teach is that we must be good person on this earth (and in our own power). Their gods do not give us any power. We just have to want to be good and help others.

Well, I want to do that also, but I am one step further than they are - I believe my power comes from god and that my belief will take me to heaven when I die. Wow! That's pretty powerful.

Don't be too upset because you think your faith has almost become empty right now. You are young with many, many phases to go through to become the great person, with god's guidance, that you are going to become.

Try being old like me and more afraid of death now because I don't believe I have done nearly enough for god to consider my life worthy for him and i'm running out of time. Try being old and make the statement that you feel your faith is empty right now and i'm getting closer and closer to the end of time here as I know it. Well, that's me to a degree. I do know that jesus died for my sins, but i'm not reading the bible like I should be regularly, i'm not praying regularly, and I am not going to a church like I should be. I don't have a christian family right now and that does scare me. But I know I love god and he loves me. I just need to get to busy and do what he expects from me?

What does he expect from me and you? To honor and worship god in everything that we do. That's all. Doesn't sound hard, but boy is it ever.

You'll be okay. First thing to do is to ask god what does he want you to do next. That's it for step number one for both you and me. We'll do it because we can.

I'm so glad you wrote here. You have helped me young soul. Thank you. Please feel free to continue writing here or even at my personal email if you want. Make sure your parents know if you decide to email me because the internet is just not safe for young (or even old) people.

Now, take care and get some good rest and sleep before you head back to school next week. Oops, sorry to mention that awful word. Gets some good rest so you can enjoy the rest of your vacation. :) is that better?

God bless...

Carol
|

replied January 3rd, 2007
Re: Scared of After Death
Hi everyone i'm on the same page as you. Im 17 I always been scared of death, not so much death buts what after it. I get mild panic attacts and begin to feel ill and depressed I believe I god and a after life but im worried that I might be wrong. It makes me feel so small irrelevent, and all alone. It doesn't matter what people say you are born alone and everyone that lives will final die alone and thats all I have to say about myself. Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2007
Supporter
I Agree With Carol!
I totally agree with carol. I would start by telling you to live each days as if it were your last. Do not dwell on tomorrow or what the future may bring. Until you have come close to death, you will neer truely understand how precious life is. How wonderful your family and friends are. How materialistic things do not matter. God has allowed me to survive a brain anuresym, malignant melanoma and gosh knows how many other stupid stunts I pulled in my younger days. To be 14 years old and even consider being worried about what happens after you die? I could not imagine. Life is for living. I get up everyday and thank god for allwoing me to live another day. Thanks for letting me see hte sky, hear hte birds, smell the fresh cut grass..........Little things you nromally take for granted. Have you ever talked to a physican about this sadness you are feeling? Depression is treatable, it just sometimes takes time, differents meds to create a "balance" in the brain....And trust in god. I know there is a god because I myself am a living miracle. I am so appreciative for the life I have now, I do not worry about what happens when I take my last breath. This old body is wron out anyway......But my soul will live forever and it will be a happy soul. You have a choice in this life. You can choose to be sad and worry about death....Or you can choose to take life by the you know what and live it to its fullest! Cool
|

replied April 14th, 2009
scared of death
same here, ever since fourth grade, a paper model of my broke, and i started thinking what happened after death, but the more i think about it the more scared and i became, i have never been so scared before, i have considered both possiblities that catswold mentioned, but the one, but i believe the first one is much more likely. The good thing that came with it is i will never consider killing myself even if i live miserably because im so afraid of death or what's after it. But the bad thing is that i lost motivation and constantly trying to avoid developing any more deeper idealogy of death because everytime i try thinking about it, it makes me feel miserable and sad. I really wanna be immortal and live forever and experience every pain and joy of a human can possibily experience, or unless there is really life after death, but life after death seems to me would be the greatest miracle ever, the propability of that would be even less than winning a lottery. Life sucks, but i want life, haha...
|

replied October 17th, 2009
Lost faith and scared of death
I have suffered with depression for much of my life, riding through the ups and downs but luckily always winning in the end. I'm 27 now and during my bad spells I was pretty sure my life would definitely in suicide somewhere along the way. I am getting better at learning to cope with my depression now and all thoughts of suicide are gone, even at the low points. I am lucky to have a supportive partner who, doesn't understand of course, but he loves me anyway for being a bit 'quirky'.

However, more and more recently I have been thinking about death. Not so much about dying but what happens after you die. I used to have faith in religion up to about the age of 16 and attend church regularly but, when my depression got really bad, I lost my faith. The church didn't make me feel comfortable anymore as none of them understood what I was going through. Also, I could not understand how God could let this happen to me- making me think all these awful things, do awful things to myself and put friends and family through the trauma of having to deal with someone they love deal with depression. So I stopped being religious and have tried not to think about it since.

But I'm starting to be plagued with fear again- death is the only inevitable thing in this life so it is unfair we cannot know how it all works. 2009 has been a bad year for death so far - the media does not help so I am constantly reminded about it. I don't know what to think anymore, I lie awake shaking at night with hot and cold sweats when I think of what is going to happen to me and everyone I love around me. My partner is of the opinion that when you are dead, you're dead and that's that. This is not a helpful concept for me and it makes me more upset to think this. I would love to know we go on and carry on fulfilling some sort of purpose but I don't know what to believe or think. My friends and family are concerned that I think about death all the time and I am as well. I wish my brain would just switch off and let me enjoy the simple things of life but unfortunately it is like a constant torment.

I don't really know what else to say. I guess it is relieving to know other people have the same fears- I just wish there was an answer for all of us so we could get on with our lives and stop worrying about it x
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
Hmm. Sometimes others can look at you and they are looking for faith and you sense that they hate you but really they are angry sad or fearful and need help. But you don't have to help them. Because presence is enough.
We want to be reminded of heaven. Of love. Hurry, come quick... But He, or it, or there is a plan for everyone.
I look at heaven, and I wonder, what's going to happen? It seems so long. Such a long time to spend. What will happen? Well, something must happen! And this is why there is a plan. And that love exists and we can think.
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
everytime i think about death i think about being dead and just blackness..i cant quite grasp how i could not be existing, how my soul or thoughts will just disappear and where do they go..where do i go? i get so anxious i cant breath and feel faint..i hate thinking about it..i hate that i wont know and will be alone...i dont believe in god or anything..but it scares me that life goes on after i die and i just stop..i cant think or exist anymore Sad...i cant talk to anyone because it makes people sad
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2010
life is so short , it is just nothing comparate the infinite time before now and after now .
we came from the universe and in the universe will back .
we were not on this life for all the time before and we will back again in a no life situation just after some years from now . the strange situation , the exception is now , the exception is this life we are living ! not the end of this life ! noone can be sure what happen after died ..because noone came back to tell us , if you are religious your situation is better , bu tin anycase th eonly thing science can say about die is that the absence of life .So we cannot be sure about what is die , we can say only what it is not . and it is the absence of life as we conceive it
|

replied August 19th, 2010
Do not worry about life after death, have hope and faith
I completely understand. I am 33 year old, have a good family, a wonderful boyfriend, friends and a good job. I still however, find myself laying awake at night thinking about death, life after death and the meaning and purpose of life on Earth. Even now when my boyfriend is laying in our bed I am sitting here searching for some sort of comfort or clarity on the net. In a way, it does give comfort to know that I am not alone in these thoughts. I think that perhaps we all have them, it's just that people have very different ways of managing their feelings. I guess the conclusion that I am always drawn back to is that faith is exactly that... faith. For me as a Roman Catholic I believe in God and Jesus Christ. I believe that God speaks to be thorugh my conscience every day, I have free will and ultimatley I decide on my thoughts and actions. As a human being, I will of course make many mistakes, however, it's recognising these mistakes and wanting to be a better person that God will value. We all have guilt about not doing enough for others or making our stamp on the World but ultimately if we are all good, and all treat each with love and respect that would make the World a better place and that would make our God happy. Live your life well and love others and I am sure you will be rewarded in Heaven. I am sure that there is life after death and I am sure that it will be wonderful.
|

replied September 3rd, 2010
I KNOW THE FEELING. BELIEVE!!!
I have had all these same thoughts lately. About dying and what the afterlife will bring. All of these things started happening to me when I started to question my faith. So it seems easy to me how we get through these hard times, and that is threw Christ. I know there is soooo many different religions and soooo many different beliefs but in my opinion they all point to one spirit who created all things. I believe all of us who are having all of these problems with death are being tempted by the devil so we live an unpure life so we can join him in hell. All of us just need to BELIEVE in the big man upstairs, because he is real and he WILL guide us through these hard times to live a great life and join him in an AMAZING afterlife where it will be all happiness and no more hurt in your life.

Some advice for the people who toss and turn at night, a thing i like to do is read the bible. It just reminds me of God and all of the possiblities for this life ON EARTH AND IN HEAVEN.
|

replied February 26th, 2011
Thank god there are people who have the same fears as me, I wonder if there are any meetings that talk about death and dying and the fear of losing loved ones?
|

replied July 2nd, 2011
I'm 15, and most nights i lay in bed and try to sleep, however i am kept awake with morbid thoughts of death and losing loved ones and just terrible things that could happen. then i start to think about what happens after i die, after they do.. will i ever really see them again? will it be ok? or is everyone and thing lost forever.. the thought that the latter is the truth scares me so much.. i dont want to tell anybody i know because i dont want them to judge me, but it effects me so badly i start to cry, and cant stop.. right now its 3am and ive been trying to sleep since 1.. does anybody have any good ways to push it out of my mind? or anything that will help... i do believe in god.. ive never realyy been taught about religion. but i believe that there is a god that created us all. one who is all around and hears all our prayers.. but im still so scared...
|

replied July 12th, 2011
I find it difficult to even structure an answer to this because I cannot make up my mind. I lie awake most nights thinking/acting out the day when someone close to me will die because it will happen. I can't take the inevitability of it. My breathing starts to become heavy - death feels like this horrible trap. How death can just suddenly strike - for you do not know when you are dead - you are just nothing. However, I also feel overwhelmed by the blessing/miracle of life - the universe can be mind-blowing/simple things that happen everyday can be beautiful and amazing. The bad thing is, these positive thoughts are always knocked down by the unfairness and cruelty of life and it's cycles. The thing is, I'm not a God or a supreme being, i'm just another human being with human thoughts. Millions of other people will be lying in bed right now thinking the same thing. This scares me - my own thoughts that feel very much my own are really just chemical/biological reactions. What's the point of thinking? Where does it get me? Maybe I should just ignore the difficult questions in life like most people and just accept that I will never seek any answers. Sigh.
|