Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Weight Gain Before Conception?

Hi, I am new and not sure where to post this, so feel free to move it to another forum if it's more appropriate.

For most of my life, I have been either underweight or on the thin side of normal. Just before I went on the pill about 1 ½ years ago (for heavy periods and anaemia), I weighed 98 pounds, at that time, the most I had ever weighed in my life (i’m only 5 feet tall). Since being on the pill, my weight has increased to about 105 pounds. I’m 40 years old, by the way.

Recently, I saw a gynecologist about my husband’s and my plans to try for a baby. The gyn said that I should take folic acid for three months before trying to conceive.

So I went to a shop to get some folic acid, and saw some pregnancy vitamins which contain extra folic acid, plus additional vitamins and minerals that are supposed to be good for women pre-conception, during pregnancy, and while breast feeding. So I decided to get those and replace my regular daily multi-vitamins with the pregnancy ones.

Since taking the new pregnancy vitamins, I started to want to eat a lot, particulary craving veggies and whole wheat products. So I checked the label, and I saw that the pregnancy vitamins contain twice the vitamin b12 as regular vitamins. Vitamin b12 is an appetite stimulant.

So should I be submitting to my cravings because i’m desiring food that my body needs, and getting the extra nutrition now will make getting pregnant easier, or should I try to keep my weight down so I don’t start developing health problems because of being overweight. I’m concerned because my mother had gestational diabetes and toxaemia during her pregnancy, and I have a family history of heart disease and non-gestational diabetes.

I would appreciate any advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 29th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi I am not very sure. But in general you probably require a lot of nutrients during the pre-conception stage. In fact, most books will suggest that diet is impt before preg.
|

replied January 9th, 2006
I totally share that problem... Except im 5'9 and 116 lbs... Im worried I wont be able to conceive because I am underweight even though I have regular periods... Gah
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
Weight gain for conception
Same problem here...Im 31 and 105 lbs. Ive been thin my whole life and every doctor tells me to gain about 5-7 pounds to have better luck with conception. Im working on it, but its difficult for me to gain weight.
|

replied May 4th, 2012
Experienced User
Hey...If you are facing this kind of problem then you should definitely consult a doctor. As this issue might create problems in future.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Your post is quite relevant to what I am looking up these days. For this problem you need to consult a good doctor.
Thank..
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....