Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Recurring Butterfly Rash On Face

Let me preface this by saying that I am male, now 17 years old, and I used to have mild to moderate acne. I began taking olive leaf extract about a year and a half ago, and my acne cleared up about two weeks after I started taking the olive leaf extract. I continue to take olive leaf extract, as well as benadryl for seasonal allergies (sinus related). One olive leaf extract and one benadryl in the morning, and the same at night.

Now, around january of this past year, I started to develop a butterfly rash (mostly under the eyes, not so much over the bridge of my nose as most butterfly rashes seem to be), that itched like mad. Whenever i'd scratch it, it'd get worse, and then the skin would dry out and peel, leaving only more redness. I don't know what qualifies as "scaly" skin, but after having a serious outbreak of this rash, my skin is leathery for several days in that specific area, and will peel if i'm not careful.

Now, I did some research on lupus, and butterfly rashes are typical of those diagnosed with lupus, however, I went to the doctor and got tested for it, but the tests came back all negative, so lupus can't be it, and as far as I can tell, my doctor is stumped.

I've thought that it's allergies, and i've even switched shampoos and soap (even though I do not wash my face with soap at all)

i find it quite annoying, because for a couple weeks my face could be perfectly fine, no itches at all, but then just randomly my face will start to itch in that specific location, and the redness will reappear, as well as the peeling.

Please, please, please, anyone with any ideas about what could possibly be causing this, please tell me, this has really been plaguing me, and it's actually prevented me from going places out of embarassment :(
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Andrewbattese
|
Users who thank billthom for this post: lsm01 

replied December 30th, 2005
Anyone got any ideas? :(
|

replied January 2nd, 2006
This is seriously starting to bug me.
It was fine last night, and I have a date this morning, and it seems to have flared up once again.

What can I do?
|

replied January 8th, 2006
Malar Rash
Get a copy of the lab work & see what test was run & the actual results, don't take no for an answer!

Many dr's don't know what they're doing when it comes to lupus.

Try putting a lip balm called lip medex on the rash or when you're face starts in the cycle....It works wonders for all sorts of cuts and rashes but it is greasy so maybe you might try using it at night first & don't forget to use an old pillow case!

I have lupus & use it for all my skin probs since the prescription creams don't work at all.
Good luck
|

replied January 8th, 2006
Okay, i'll try and get a copy of the lab results.
|

replied July 12th, 2007
I have exactly the same problems ... When I get this rash I also get itchy throat which makes me coughing dry. I think it might be (besides lupus)allergy to dairy products or dustmite or sarcoidosis ... still have to make some research...
Anyone else experiencing this problem ?
|

replied February 11th, 2008
Re: Recurring Butterfly Rash On Face
B vitamins especially Vitamin B2 help relieve skin rashs. Vitamin B2 also helps with the dry cough
|

replied February 15th, 2008
it sounds a little like rosasea to me. i have it and sometimes its like that.
|

replied February 17th, 2009
Butterly Rash
Your symptoms sound identical to mine, I was tested for lupus, wasnt it, and its not rosasea becuase that medication didnt help. It is a type of eczema that is treated with a topical cream called Mometasone Furoate ask your doctor about it. Worked great for me, within an hour of putting it on all the redness was gone and within a couple days the acne symptoms were gone as well. I was amazed at the results. Let me know if this helps for you!
|

replied March 7th, 2010
butterfly rash
i have the same problem.. it drives me mad. i also suffer from eczema, i have had it since i was a baby but it is almost non existent now, i'm 21 and i've been getting the butterfly rash for a few years now and seems to be getting worse. i thought it was something different to my eczema as it doesn't seem to be linked as the rash on my face would be flared up but not the eczema on the rest of my body and visa versa.
Im keen to try the mometasone furoate..
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2010
Supporter
Andrew-by any chance do you have Lupus? A butterfly rash is one of the typical signs of Lupus..Do you notice the rash appearing more when in the sun? Even on a cloudy day sunrays can get through..
Do youhave any other things going on? You may want to look up Lupus to see if it is part of what you are going through..IF you have Lupus it can lie dormant and then pow you are in a Lupus flare..Lupus is autoimmune..Once you reveiw and you feel this sounds like you then you may want to get a doctor appt.with a Rheumatologist..k
|

replied February 10th, 2012
Reoccuring butterfly rash
I have the same type of rash on my face. I've been tested for lupus/negative. The rash started on my chin and spread to my cheeks, nose and a little bit on the forehead. My dermatologist prescribed mometasone and the rash went away. He then prescribed a less potent fluticasone and told me to alternate between the two. The fluticasone does not work. The topical steroid treatment has left my chin looking like crepe paper and my face is covered with red, itchy bumps. I had to stop using soap. When I wake up in the morning my face is covered with flaking skin. I tried rinsing my face with plain water and gently exfoliating the flakes with a soft cloth and applying cocobutter. Less than an hour later the flakes are back as well as the itching. I just dont know what to do anymore. Dermatologist treat it from the outside only, but I think that it might be a symptom of an internal problem. Help.
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....