Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

When I Exercise I Can't Get My Heart Rate Down For 4-5 Hours

I have had pretty bad anxiety for just over 3 years now and I understand a lot that is going on now. It's took me quite a bit to get to this point. The thing I don't understand is that lately I have tried to work out a bit nothing too much of course and when I do I can't seen to get my heart rate back down I am talking 100+ beats a minute. It makes it almost impossible to work out. I used to run track and play football now that was about 6 years ago but I would like to think I am not in bad shape. Anyone else have this problem when they work out or do something physical? I mean I understand when you get winded your heart rate goes up but that lasts maybe for 15 minutes or so not 5 hours. I feel like I am having a 5 hour panic attack afterwards.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 20th, 2005
Ever since I started having anxiety, my workouts haven't been the same either. It's not that it takes long for my heart rate to drop back down. My problem is that my heart seems to pound harder and faster than usual. Also, I get really dizzy half way through my workout. It has ruined my work out. I've had test down, and my heart's fine, so I guess it's just the anxiety. It's very frustrating because fitness is a big part of my life, and I feel it's being taken away from me.
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
Ditto
Same here, I use to run track, but now when I run, it takes forever for my heart to slow down and stop pounding, and I feel dizzy and sick like i'm going to pass out the whole time, so you're not alone my friend.
|

replied January 20th, 2009
this was great to know that other people are having this problem to im sorry to say lol but i have the same problem when i try to exercise i get worried when my heart starts pounding and it completely ruins my exercise i am taking meds for anxiety and i still have this problem it just sucks so bad i use to play football,baseball and my senior year i had to quit the baseball team because i couldn't run becuause if i did i had a panic attack i just want to screem hahah but let me know more about how you's feel thank you

Aaron
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Ever since I had my first panic attack my workouts have been that way. Somewhere along the way my body starts freaking out and I get dizzy and my heart rate skyrockets even if I'm just walking. I am not in as great of shape as a few years ago, so I think I need to make sure not to over do it until I get my endurance back. I feel like my body resorts to the anxiety as like it forgot what to do when I exercise. It sucks cause I'm exercising to reduce stress and anxiety and that starts to cause anxiety.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
i have the same problem!!!! Whenever i workout i feel like im dreaming and get so dizzy and i dont know what it is... how do i stop my anxiety?
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
anxiety
i have anxiety my question is this, when i eat i cant breath afterwords for acouple hours, does anyone experience this, please help
|

replied September 7th, 2009
yes usually just the thought of eating makes me stop breathing normal. then the vision gets blurry my heart races and I can't catch my breath and I wanna go to the er. It's gotten to the point i cant eat without freaking out...when it first happened i THOUGHT i was experiencing a reaction to the food so now I have practically limited my diet to crackers and water nothin too spicy and no caffeine. Then I cant eat very much. I think its a mind thing...but i haven't seen a doctor yet. I just developed anxiety a month ago and then i lost my daughter at 6 1/2 moths pregnant on august 18, 09 and it's gotten much worse.
|

replied October 6th, 2009
hello i kno this form is kind of old but, working out aint the problem it aint your heart or health its you by all means go get check out by a doctor and if nothings wrong with your heart or health its anxitey the reason this is happing (and im no doctor] is when u rase your bpm *beats per min* you link that too an anxitey attack cos thats what happends when u have one i too have a fear of my heart i fear it could stop beating but it hasent and it wont anxitey cant hurt u at all why? cos its ment to save your life not end it next time this happends stop fighting it say too your self i know what this is it has never hurt mee or anyone and its not going to now just let it go and in time once u learn too let it go it wont borther you and when it dosent bother you anymore your not afraid of it and it will go away i hope this helps
|

replied October 10th, 2009
Anxiety
I feel the same way when I work out I use to exercise months ago and will last like 1 hour and 30 minutes and felt good my heart was fine I wasn't dizzy and I would breath fine. After I took anxiety pills I felt horrible!!
I have now 1 year of not working out and feel sad since I use to love to work out and now I hate it!!
I feel dizzy , my heart beats fast, I can't breath, I feel pressure on my chest, back, head and I have a headache. I feel this way to when I eat and take a shower. This all happen after I took anxiety pills I had to stop taking them since I felt horrible!!!
I wish I could the person I was before. I hate anxiety I mean I can't even drive without getting nervous and having a panic attack.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...