Do I need a good counselor or is there some other course I can take?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 9th, 2003
Kids With Adhd/add
Well, I have two kids under 7 with adhd and very little help. I am continually being a referee. They fight all the time. I am having to take them to several doctor appts. For medication and counseling. I am just working diligently toward a solution, hoping for some relief. The outburst, anger, disrespect and etc. Are very familiar. With two, they are always demanding your attentions when you are trying to do something for the other one. I have tried every type of behavior modification approach that I have been taught, and little works here too. Ignoring is the one that probably has been the most effective. It doesn't work all the time though. I sometimes have to isolate myself and put ear plugs in my ears (they will still bang on the door). Very frustating, and most people thing parents like us are unstable or exaggerating. I can empithize with the kids, because I have add myself. I understand the bordom, but I didn't have the hyper aspect, and I was never disrespectful. Spanking scared me!
|

replied September 14th, 2003
I have a daughter who was diagnosed as oppositional adhd...She can be really hard to deal with at times...And i'm a parent that believes in good old fashioned whoopings...Time out never worked, she was very angry and still is at times...She's the class clown if u will and is only 6, I feel ya when u say u need advice...So here's what I have tried...Reward him with things that he wants...If he is good one week, get him a little something to show that u acknowledge his progress and good behavior. It works for me. Good luck and god bless.
|

replied September 22nd, 2003
Experienced User
Add/adhd
My son has adhd all his life and is now 22 yaers old, life does get better, but I used an herb, st. Johns wart as his calmer. The attention span does get longer with time/years. Randy used to have to have all his tests orally until he became 15, then he tried doing his tests manually like everybody else, it was hard but it did get better. I am proud to say that my son, of which a child psychologist Evil or Very Mad told him and I to our face when he was 14 years old that he would never amount to anything and that he would never hold a job, is now a natural gas pipe fitter, who is also going to school to become a refridgeration technician in the heating and cooling industry and also has worked for the same company for the past 3 1/2 years. Shocked so please, don't take to heart what others have to say negatively against your child, fight back with complete possative re-enforcement that he/she can be and do anything in life that they set their heart and mind to.

Before starting your child on any drug or herbal remedy consult your physican for dosage and direction. St. Johns wart is also used for treatment of bedwetters also.

Georgie :p
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Arvind Malhotra
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...