Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Could Cord Blood Banking Help Our Family?

Do you believe that cord blood stem cells will cure leukemia?
Yes
No
100%  100%  [ 3 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
Hi, I have a cousin, sarah, who has leukemia. She is a little girl, only 4 years old. Currently, I am pregnant with my first child. I have heard about cord blood stem cells, which could help treat her disease. And cord blood banking. My doctor told me that I should consider banking my baby’s cord blood in hopes of curing sarah from leukemia.

I need some advice. Has anyone banked their cord blood? Are their any recommendations on which bank to use? Honestly, can the stem cells treat her disease? Do you know of any personal stories of a situation similar to this that turned out positive? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

I want to help her out so much and if i’m in the position that I can, I will. Not only am I excited to have this baby, i’m also excited to help cure sarah.

Thank you to everyone in advance for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Yes,it can be used for treatment of leukemia and can be stored in bank.However,HLA matching is necessary.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.