About 2... 2 1/2 weeks ago I was hopsitalized with lower stomach pains and they couldn't find any problem. I had 2 cat scans done that night. The lady told me that b4 they did the cat scans they took a urine preg test. (please note I did not miss my period yet) I was due for my period about 2-3 days later. Well its been two weeks and no period. I also have hpv which I think might effect my period but i'm not sure...

My questions here are:
could the pregnancy test at the hopital be innacurate?
If so, what could the cat scan do to my baby?

Other than my questions, I have no symptoms of pregnancy except throwing up but I believe that's because of stress!!! :roll:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 5th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, the hpt could have been inaccurate--too early.

Im pretty cat scan is not as harmful to baby as xray--maybe not harmful at all. I would ask a .Dr about it.
|

Experienced User
Even tho it was a hospital hpt test?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Was it a urine test---or blood test?
|

Experienced User
Urine
|

Experienced User
Than again I think they took blood too but that might have been after the first cat scan...
|

replied December 6th, 2005
Experienced User
Ct Scan
I had a ct scan at 22 wks preg it was either that or I could have died they thought I had as blood clot I did not and she is fine.
|

Experienced User
Hi,

yes the pregnancy test can sometimes be inaccurate - pregnancy is only usually detected by the pregnancy test until 10days after conception so if you were less than 10days pregnant then yes it can give a negative result.

Cat scans should not really be performed on someone who could possibly be pregnant, especially in the first trimester of pregnancy when the cells are rapidly dividing. Usually they would only be performed if the doctor thought that the case is an emergency. They should have asked you to sign a form - whereby you sign to say there is no possibility that you may be pregnant.

Why did they perform the ct scan twice?? What did the doctors think was wrong with you?? – appendicitis maybe?

Also they should really have performed an ultrasound scan of your pelvis before doing the ct scan.

Take care.
|

Experienced User
At first they thought it was kidney infection which if they were right I would have had to get sergury that night so I guess they figred it was an emergency... This was done w/ out die. They didn't find ne thing so than they checked me apendix... Still nothing. I noticed today that I can't stop peeing.. Could that happen in 5 weeks? I'm really scared now... What if there is something wrong?! Well we will find out in 2 days! I'm taking a test in two days!!! I'm very scared... Cross ur fingers yall!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Sometimes the urine test dont come out until 3 weeks past missed period. Myself 20 yrs ago, my daughter, and daughter in law both took that long-- just last few years. 5 weeks after conception--
|

replied December 7th, 2005
Experienced User
One more question: I haven't wanted sex in two weeks... Could that have ne thing to do with pregnancy?
|

Experienced User
Hi,

there is a possibility that ct scans can affect an unborn child in the early stages of pregnancy - ct scans involve the use of high dose radiation. Try not to stress more than you need to because at this stage you don't know if you are pregnant even, you might be worrying over nothing.

I still don't think that the doctors should have referred you for this examination since both of the suspected pathologies you mentioned, could have been diagnosed clinically - blood and urine samples.

Did you have a urine sample at all to test for urinary infection?

More information can be found concerning radiation exposure during pregnancy can be found at: http://www.Massgeneralimaging.Org/newslett er/february_2004/
|

Experienced User
So is that article saying that there is a def. Chance my baby will get cancer?? Uggg this is so scary!!!
|

Experienced User
Hey,

the article just discusses that there could be a possible chance of getting cancer in future life, and discusses average radiation doses etc -

your dose from the ct scans are likely to be equivalent to 1-2years of background radiation (radiation we receive naturally e.G. From the sun, mobile phones etc).

But basically there are not many studies to show the effects from medical radiation - it would be unethical to conduct studies as such incase the study did produce any ill effects on an unborn child. So generally, pregnant women should not be exposed to unnecessary radiation unless the examination outweighs the risk.

Let us know how you get on, all the best xx.
|

replied December 8th, 2005
Experienced User
Haha sorry I couldn't read the article that well... I'm very sick and i've got a head cold, so its hard for me to think right now!

Speaking of my cold... How much alcohol can I drink durring preg? I took nyquil once this week and my friend told me not to because it 10% alcohol. Is this tru?
|

replied September 15th, 2009
CT scan
hi,reading this article,so curios about coz i have my CT scan 4 days my expected period and its already almost 3 weeks i dont have my period.dlisiouss,i know this 5 years ago but i would like to ask you?were u pregnant then?
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...