This is my first time posting. My step-father fell a few weeks ago and tore his lung and broke his nose. The tear in his lung caused him to bleed internally. While in the hospital, he was diagnosed as a type ii diabetic. On thanksgiving he was sent home - no one ever mentioned the diabetes to any of us (only to him, once, when he was medicated), no care instructions were given and he was still bleeding internally - which we were not made aware of. He collapsed 3 days later in the arms of my mother and my boyfriend who were helping him to bed. We had to have paramedics come and he returned to the hospital. The care he has received has been horrific. While in the hospital the second time, he needed to be recesitated because no one was monitoring his oxygen levels. He was in icu for 4 days on a respirator and still remains in the hospital on oxygen. They want to discharge him now. He can't walk, he can't eat - he's been immobile for 16 days and they want to send him home. We can't care for him the way he needs to be cared for. He needs physical therapy and general ambilitory care. We don't want to put him into a nursing home. We would like him to be home with some in-home care for a couple of weeks to help him return to his physical state before the fall. He's not an old man - only 64. I need help finding out where to start looking for in-home care. Here's the clincher: they have no insurance, he's not 65 until july and medi-cal is pending but, not definate. If you can help, please post your reply. Thanks for listening.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 17th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
While the system here in australia is different the same basic things can & do happen. I've been in situations like this although not nearly as bad.

First i'd talk to your gp (local dr) & see if you can get any help/suggestions of starting points.

Next do you have what we call "community centres" or "health centres" these sorts of places are run by local, state & federal government here & often have lots of information or access to it that we just don't know.

Last, doesn't the dr/hospital have what we call "a duty of care"? Here that would mean that if they release someone without informing those who will be providing care (the patient doesn't count unless he is mentally aware/not medicated to reduce mental alertness) of all od the needs e.G diabetes & what's required plus the internal bleeding. Further here I believe that a dr/hospital could be sued for failing to advise you of this & also for releasing him without ensuring that internal bleeding had ceased.

So talk to a lawyer about that (do you have free legal advice centres where you could get some initial information on this without the risk of huge costs?).
|

replied December 17th, 2003
Thank You Purple333
I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, the doctor that was assigned to our case has been less than helpful. He is one of the major problems. As for the legal aspect, we are certainly looking into that. My original post was just the tip of the iceberg concerning the lack of medical attention they provided - I could write a novel. Luckily, we have documented it all. I think I will look into wellness centers and care facilities in the area. Thanks, again
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....