Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anyone Else Have These Symptoms!?! Dizziness, Twitching? (Page 1)

I am a 21 year old college senior and am plagued by anxiety! All my life I can recall being extremely health conscious and having a persistent fear/worry about every little ache and pain. This year has been extremely stressful with grad school applications, graduate exams, etc.

My recent bout of anxiety all began with a headache... Of course I immediately assumed it was something much more serious even though I have been told by three massage therapists that I have more tension in my neck/back than anyone else they know. With the headaches there is a tension from my neck through my jaw.

After about two weeks of worrying about the headaches I began experiencing chronic dizziness/lightheadedness that is very vague, yet disturbing. My balance is fine... But it's just this feeling as if I might faint... Especially when sitting still and trying to focus. Of course I worry this too is an indication of something more serious. Along with these symptoms I have also felt muscle twitching... Which is of short-duration, and occurs in randomly all over my body, throat-tightness, and feeling my pulse in my hands, head, and feet on seperate occasions... Especially late at night when lying down.

Does anyone else experience all of these symptoms or at least some of them? When I write them all out it's like "oh yeah, that's just anxiety" but they can be quite frightening. Oh yeah... I also have been told I have tmj... Which probably perpetuates some of the symptoms... I dont know... I go in circles with my logic!

Thanks for understanding and for your responses... It's comforting to know that there are other people who understand...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ms73
|

replied November 28th, 2005
Hi worrygirl,

I really understand your post! It sounds like we have a lot of the same physical manifestations of stress.
I hope this will make you feel a bit better.
I too have had tmj for years and (in combination with a lot of shoulder/neck tension) I beleieve this to be the cause of my on and off dizziness.
I often feel like the floor is rising up or dropping just a bit (like on a dock) and sometimes I feel like the room or the things in it are a bit wobbly, though I don't feel off balance.
I have also had body twitches. When i'm lying down my arm or leg will just jerk a little bit, like a tic. Sometimes i'll notice it several times in an hour or sometimes just once a day.
I've had all of these symptoms worse since a death in my family.
I have been terribly upset that something was wrong with me and looking on the internet at medical sites made all of this worse. There is usually no mention of stress or tmj when you look up these symptoms. It can be very scary. But if you read about anxiety, stress, tmj you will find these sypmtoms to be common ones.
And, its funny how when you write it out or explain it to someone, it seems more obvious that its anxiety than when you are on your own, working it in to some medical tragedy that makes you more scared and sypmtoms worse etc etc.
Ahh, breathe ....
Best wishes to you !!
|

replied December 7th, 2005
I had a seizure of some kind about a month ago and ever since have been really wound up and anxious about having another one. I have had muscle twitches, like my foot will jerk a little or muscles in my legs twitch or my thumb. It's really been getting on my nerves, I am having scans tomorrow to try and find out the cause of the seizure, really hope it was just a one off and the tests are all clear, hoping the anxiety will go away then too
|

replied December 7th, 2005
Yep, Me Too
Hi :-)
i have similar symptoms too. I have lost complete control of my legs and arms a few times, they flail out and I find that I can not feal them properly. Dont worry,
flowerlight
|

replied December 9th, 2005
Cocreative, I downloaded the manual and began practicing eft yesterday. Just now getting to the point where I have the basic technique memorized. Can you give me some set up phrases you have developed related to anxiety? So far so good. I like the technique and these folks at eft seemed very sincere about it working
|

replied December 9th, 2005
Experienced User
Have you thought of getting psycotherapy worrygirl?
It definately sounds like you have anxiety,
i've had all the symptoms you describe before.
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Update
Delancey~

I have considered going to psychotherapy or counseling... Oddly enough, up until two months ago I was planning on going to grad school to get my phd. In clinical psychology! I've gone through a lot of ups and downs in college as far as mental health goes... I struggled through anorexia my freshman year, but fought it completely on my own... So I know I have it in me to be strong and conquer my problems. However, if I have a hard time helping myself, how can I help others? But, I am really considering counseling. I still can't decide if I should go to the doctor to get my symptoms checked out further? I keep worrying about these horrible things and as hard as I try to combat the thoughts, they persist. Has anyone heard of serenitol? I was thinking about trying it since it is an herbal remedy, but I would like to know more about it.

This forum has helped me a lot... It's so nice to hear words of encouragement and stories of success from others. Thanks to everyone who responded!
|

replied December 20th, 2005
We're In the Same Boat
Stumbling onto your post has me feel a little better. I am also 21 and experiencing almost the same exact symptoms as you are. It all started out with head pain, turned out it was due to tmj. Earlier in the year I had frequent palpitations, had numerous exams done and nothing was wrong with my heart. They subsided for the most part. And i've been twitching for a while now, they're short in duration also and seem to happen mostly when i'm thinking about it. All of these things are obviously stress related, and its hard to relax when you're having these frightening symptoms. Whatever you do, don't turn to the internet for answers, it just makes you worry more. Google is not a doctor ;) I hope you are feeling better...
|

replied December 20th, 2005
Thankyou All
Hi im a 19 year old girl from england and have been suffering from all of your symptoms I first stated getting sharp pains in my head, and as a self confessed hypochondriac immediatly thought I had a brain tumour and went into panic mode. I started looking at my symptoms on the internet which didn't help and in fact assured me I had a tumor, as I started to notice more and more sysmptoms. I went to see a nurse and an eye doctor who both said it was most likley stress. However after two weeks I was becoming more worried and anxious and after reading a website on brain tumors and took myself in the middle of the night and floods of tears to aand e where a doctor once again said it was all stress related. Sadly I was still unconvinced until I came across all your posts, I found it hard to belive that stress could have such a physical effect on my body but now I realises i'm not alone so thank you all xxx :d
|

replied December 22nd, 2005
Hi emmie, I am a 17 yr old lad from england, a few weeks ago I woke up and was feeling these strange headaches, short pains that occured in different parts of my head. Like you I immediately thought it was a brain tumour and became increasingly worried. I went on the internet and looked up the symptoms for it. Also, like you I have been experiencing these strange twitches in my legs, especially when lying down. It is worrying, I also fel dizzy when I first get up from sitting. I just want it to go, how long have you been having them now, are you still getting these symptoms? Please reply, thanks
|

replied December 23rd, 2005
Hi Liam
Hi liam i've had theses symptoms for about just under a month now, by that I mean the physical symtoms started about a month ago, the emotional symptoms like feeling low and isolated started before that. I'v just started uni and I think thats what finally triggered it all off. Have you spoken to a doctor? Look forward to your reply but also heres my email address and i'm on msn incase you wanna have a chat I do understand how scary theses symtoms can be, I still have to keep telling myself its just stress and not tumor. But take care and don't hesitate to get in touch

xxx
|

replied December 24th, 2005
Thanks for the advice. I've been having my symptoms just over 2 weeks now. It all started with dull pains in my head that come and went after about 5-10 seconds. I started experiencing symptoms like dizziness and have recently been having small muscle spasms and twitches in my leg. I have not been to see a doctor. Have you had any other symptoms, are you taking any medication to ease the symptoms? Thanks, look forward to hearing from you, i'll add you to my contacts, thanks.
|

replied December 25th, 2005
Hi Liam
Yeah I have had other symptoms my whole body espessially my back will be incredibly achy and the muscles on my neck shoulders arms and back will feel quite tender to touch. Also this might sound like a weird thing but it's almost as if my hair near to the roots hurts like an achy pain. And my hands can be quite shaky which seem to come on when im tired or my sleep patterns been off. Ive also had mild insomnia where no matter how tired I am I can't get to sleep but once I am asleep its broken and then I could sleep forever. When I went to a and e and the doctor was trying to reassure me he said wha he thinks is that I just really needed to take some time out and relax and get lots of sleep and just basically give myself some tlc, he also gave me some strong painkillers whitch also hlp to relax your muscle tension. Sadly you cant drink alcohol on them so I havent really been taking them trough this festive season and as its christmas i've been have lots of late night and rushing about not good for tlc. I've noticed that when I get the sharp pains on my head if I touch wher I 've felt them it feels asif my veins are tender and more prominant there do you get this? Also I think it would be good for you to see a doctor just so they can cheack you over and give you some medication also it might be good to ask if they could refer you to a counseller im doing it because I think stress is taking such a physical toll on my body cos I find it hard to unwind and let the stress out like alot of other people can so it builds up while I ignore it and then pops out of me. My bf mom however told me she once had the pains and after 3 or 4 sessions of acupuncture they cleared up, I dunno if that will work for me but im willing to try anything because im stressing even more over theses pains.
Sorry I went on so much but I look forward to hearing from you take care and merry christmas xxx
|

Thanks, have a good christmas and i'll speak to you soon.
|

Experienced User
Myself Included
Hey there worrygirl, sounds just like me. The headaches, dizzyness, lightheaded, feeling of fainting, tingling in arms, etc... I worry about every little ache and pain and go see a doctor and have them say it is nothing just my anxiety. It is frustrating because I wonder on my drive home if they are missing anything.
Today right now as I am typing I am experiencing symptoms, it interferes with my daily life and makes it hard to focus on what I need to do. It is weird how the body responds to anxiety because you honestly think that you are dying. I hope that you are feeing alright and knowing that you are not alone brings you a little comfort. It brings me comfort.
Because lately I have been feeling pretty lonely.

Justy24
|

I'm So Anxious All the Time
I'm 23 and I have anxiety so bad is everyday I feel like i'm dying, right now I just abck from the hospital b/c I was bleeding from my period buty is was out of the normal today and of couse me being so scared I rushed to the hospital, but the doc said it was just from being the first one after having a baby last month, i'm here and since I got from the hospital I have had dizzinez, weid palipitations like if my heart stops and goes, and drwsiness, my left arm was nome and then hurting and my chest, this is not easy I feel like if i'm dying everyday if any of you need to talk i'm more than welcome ,to sahere my experiences, iot helps sometimes. God bless you.
|

replied July 23rd, 2007
Me Too!
I was so pleased when I came across your posts, I too have been paranoid about having a brain tumor. I always feel dizzy and tired and when I'm lying down my legs and arms twitch. I went to Dr and Optician and they said my eyes seemed fine even though they are blurry sometimes. I am just hoping it is anxiety xx
|

replied September 17th, 2007
Same Here
Hi I am a 30 yr old male. I think I have the exact problem as all of you here. I think it all started when my dad passed away 7 years ago with stroke, he was 59. My dad side of the family has heart disease and this got to my head. When I was 25 and went for a physical they diagnosed abormal Q-Wave in my EKG & high cholestrerol, subsequently I followed up with Echo and other Cardio tests and it was all negative. I am really fit and workout/play every day, vegetarian, non-smoker.

Ever since every year I come up with something crazy - either intestinal cancer, heart attack. The latest I came up with is TIA/Stroke few days ago. I moved and did a lot of heavy lifting followed with a Deep Purple concert and heavy drinking. A day later I had some tingling and numbness and went to the ER. They diagnosed it to be Rhabdomyolysis and pumped IV and discharged me a day later. I have been noticing every twitch, tingle, minor pain etc. since, AS ALWAYS. Oh - somone had mentioned brain tumor. That was on my list too. Also I was at a bar playing dart and accidentally poked myself in the hand, now HIV is also in the picture. Embarassed

I think somehow I have to get over this and this forum was very helpful to know that I am not the only one. I am also a little superstitious and tend to connect events to bad luck etc. I recently bought a home and moved in and attributed all of this to the bad luck from the new home. It is a very beautiful home and I think I should start being more practical and enjoy life as it comes.

I have a very good support structure with an understanding wife, family and friends. But sometime, I do not talk to them about this because I think I will worry them more, especially because everyone looks up to me in my family for being where I am even when my dad passed away early in my life. I do not want to shatter their confidence.

I think this is the first time I ever wrote something like this or even acknowledge that I am a hypocondriac (maybe my bloated ego). I think writing this long post has even helped me feel better and knowing that there are so many people out there who are very bold to admit these problems. I will consider this a positive thing and start meditating from now on to relax. Hope things will improve soon. I always say to others "IT IS ALL IN THE MIND". I should stop being a hypocrite and start understanding the real meaning of that statement.

BTW: I did a whole bunch of blood work after this episode a couple weeks ago, CT scan and MRI or head and MRA of head and neck with all results negative. It is also my philosophy to be safe than sorry. I have another appointment with a neurologist in a couple of days. Will keep y'all updated.

Thank you all.
|

replied September 23rd, 2007
Wow...me Too!
I am a 23 year old female with a lot of the same symptoms as you all. It usually happens at night before bed or while in bed. I get head pressure on the right side of my head that hurts behind the ear and I have even went in to the doctor to see if I have a ear infection. It also affects my teeth and jaw area. Then I get muscle spasms. They happen in the legs, bottom of my foot, arms and even stomach. They scare the heck out of me. I also wake up at about 3 am hot as hell and my heart is beating like crazy that I convince myself I am having a heart attack and am dying. My whole body trembles and I cannot get my legs to quit shaking. Then after this all happens, it takes me at least an hour to go back to bed because I am scared and wonder if I should go to the ER. I am really happy to hear that a lot of this sounds like anxiety. I do not have insurance so I have been apprehensive about going to the doctor, but I think I have to just to get some meds and hopefully the answer.
|

replied February 16th, 2009
Just fart
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...