Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Pain After Gall Bladder Removal (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Wondering if anyone has had a similiar experience. I am one week post op - and I was feeling pretty good. Last night I had the most intense pain in my right side I have ever had. I could not take a deep breath, could not get comfortable, and percocet did not help. I feel some better this morning, but the pain is still very noticeable. Just wondering if this is part of the normal healing process or if I should be contacting my surgeon.

Anyone have any advice???

Thanks,
jane
First Helper Aventurerose
|

replied November 28th, 2005
Anonymous
You will have some aches and pains as your body is healing. I still get odd aches and pains and I had mine removed in march(nothing that needs pain meds for though). If it continues or gets worse and you have a fever or vomiting with the pain then I would definately call your Dr. Or got to the er.
|

replied November 29th, 2005
I had mine removed just under 8 wks ago. Its only one week since surgery & you are bound to be sore for a few weeks. Keep an eye on your temperature, if that goes up, then contact your Dr. It probably that you pulled something inside you & didnt realise. Try not to do too much too soon.
|

replied November 30th, 2005
Post Opt Gallbladder Pain
I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago today and I still have pain and my tummy is really sore, plus i'm nauseated almost all of the time. I am so sick of this. As bad as I hated to I just took 2 vicoden but they don't seem to help all that much anymore

my husband took the tape off of my 3 remaining incisions this morning
and they look okay so I can't understand why I still feel so bad after all of this time.

Has anyone else on here had the same problem?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
Hello Anonymous,
I had Gall bladder surgery lastApril 2010 a couple of days after my surgery I was in severe pain and Doctors decided to go dwn my throat to remove sludge came from the gall bladder after surgery so you may wanna get another Cat scan or MRI done just to be sure everything is fine ..also you cannot eat the same things you were eating before your surgery for a very long time I still get severe Pain or what they call gas attacks after eating chocolate, drinkink milk or even over eating
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 4th, 2013
Hi i know this was a while back, but did you ever get this fixed. Im still having the pain i used to have before getting my gallbladder removed (3 weeks ago) and its driving me crazy
|

replied November 30th, 2005
I was still sore after 3 weeks also. Infact 8 weeks on, I still get a little sore sometimes & get nauseated when I eat a high fat meal. It takes a long time for your body to get used to not having a gb. As the dr said to me, you are only 3 weeks post surgery & are probably expecting too much too soon.
|

replied February 24th, 2009
pr op gallbladder
had my gallbladder out by keyhole 7 days ago but still feeling unwell sore and painful ,how long does it take to feel ok again when i eat im stillg etting pain under right ribs
|

replied February 27th, 2009
pain post surgery
i am 1 week post op and was feeling good then got this horrible pain in my right side that radiates around to my back and up into my right shoulder have had tests doc says this much pain is not "normal" but labs came back normal except for one that was slightly abnormal now i am having a x-ray and ultrasound on tuesday i cannot get comfortable and pain meds barely help i am just glad to hear i am ot alone and hopefully they can pin point what is going on
|

replied April 13th, 2011
right rib pain after gallbladder surgery
I have the same exact pain and one dr told me im constipated the other said i have a strained muscle yet nothing helps. I wish u luck in trying to find out what it is. When u learn let me know cuz I would like to be pain free for once.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
Hi Sickne, Its funny that I'm here searching because I had surgery was 1 1/2 ago and before surgery the pain traveled to my ribs and even now after surgery DRs. told me I was having gas attacks but it sure does feel as if my gallbladder was still there The pain is sometimes severe but only last for about 2-3 mins thats no strained muscle thats gas that hurts very bad!
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
pain after having my gallstone and gall bladder removed 1yr.ago
velicia i feel you there i had mii gallbladder surgery on june 17 2010 and i still hurt on mii right side like 2 to 3 mins also and it hurts so bad and yes mii pain b very severe that i wana ball up n a knot its been hurting every blue moon it go n come n makes me think sun else is wrong n the pain is very uncmfortable i wana make an app, to go back to the doc who gave me mii surgery but i dont want to have to go back under another knife again but i no the mess really hurts its like tha pain shoots up n to my chest n i be about to cry its sumn serious!!!!!
|

replied October 20th, 2013
have them do an MRI to check ur gallbladder bile duct the ultrasound won't show it
My daughter just had an MRI done and they found stones the size of habanero peppers in the tube that used to be connected to the gallbladder that was removed 4 yrs ago & scheduled her for surgery it took 45 min.. they go through your mouth she doing a lot better now hope this helps
|

replied January 18th, 2014
Thank you for this answer. I am experiencing the same issue. I had my gallbladder removed in 10/11. Then, in 4/13, I began experiencing horrible intense pain in my right side. An endoscopy and colonoscopy were performed. Nothing. An MRI was done. Nothing showed. My last attacked was the day after Christmas 2013. Back to the doctor. He put me on some medication, and I have to have another test this week so they can check the bile duct. I've lost 17 lbs and have terrible diarrhea. I'm hoping this is what it is, because this pain is as bad as having the gallbladder attacks.
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
pain post surgery
I am one week post-op and my incisions are looking great. I have having no pain at my incision sites, but my entire belly (from my ribs to my pelvic area) is very very tender and, frankly, quite painful. Like I said, I am one week post-op and still taking a vicoden or two a day when the pain is at its worst. Nothing else helps. Is this normal or should I be contacting my surgeon? Has anyone else had pain like this?
|

replied April 1st, 2009
pain normal, but there is hope! (6 weeks post-surgery)
I promised myself that I would post online if I had a good experience with recovery since so many online are the unusually painful situations.

I did have extreme pain the first week and couldn't even stand up straight (internal stitches to blame) but the more I walked, ate lowfat and rested...the better I felt. But, extreme pain warrants a call to the surgeon no matter what!

I had one weird pain attack that felt like a gall bladder attack but it seems it may have been severe gas?! Since then, I have felt increasingly better and even enjoyed a nice (small) steak and wine this weekend with no pain or adverse reactions. I feel great and have been losing weight too!

Best wishes to those considering this surgery...so far it has been worth it!
|
Users who thank annajames111 for this post: AnnieM29  RuthieK 

replied May 13th, 2009
one week post op
I had my gall bladder removed one week ago may 6,2009. The day of the surgery I didnt feel like I had any surgery , but the next day I was really sore. It was done thru laproscopy. Now one week to the day I feel really tight on the inside around my incisions. I dont know if this normal, but I will be calling my Dr today. All of my incisions are healing very well except my naval there is a lil drainage there. I think I did to much to soon I was back drivin the following Monday and I have a two year old that requires my attention.
|

replied May 29th, 2009
I had mine removed sat 18/05. Came home on mon 20/05 as I had a drain in. I was in surgery for over 2 hours and don't remember much until feeling sick in the middle of the night and not being able to sit up! The first couple of days were very painful but then started to get better gradually. It's now 2 weeks and the incisions are healing well but am very sore behind the navel and up at the surgery site inside. Think i have pulled the stitches inside leaning over in the car
I'm still not back at work and don't plan to be back at least next week - maybe the one after off also. I read loads of stuff to try and guage what to expect and ended up thinking I was squealing a bit in comparison to those going home the same day etc or back to work in a couple of days. Think though that every individual is
different and recovery will depend on all sorts. If you feel great soon after then great - I'm really pleased but if you're not u just have to take a bit of time - it's alot for your body to get used to and it's notlikely to happen in a week for everyone. Im glad to have had the GB removed - the attacks were terrible, and now hope things settle down over the next couple of months.
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Just had mine removed three days ago. I think pain is probably a pretty normal thing. This is major surgery, people just don't think it is anymore because it's done with the scope, but an organ is still being removed!
I am having a lot of back pain, that is the only thing I wonder about.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
I am worried because I went to work the Tuesday after the Thursday I had surgery. I am not feeling well and find myself sick almost everyday from anything I try to eat. I cannot even eat crackers without my stomach bloating up. I have a 3 year old and I feel like I just can't be super mommy with this intense pain. I found out I got an infection in my navel and it still giving me pain. Ugh I feel like I was better off before the surgery! Sad
|

replied July 14th, 2009
Bladder Control Products
hi
My experience regarding Bladder Control is: My brother is suffering due to Overactive bladder, daily he used to change so many pads he got frustrated.
he consulted doctor but no benefit, after that he joined in training program where he regained bladder control.For the first starting days he used bladder control products following their instructions after that he regained bladder control, now he is free bird.I think it is the best training program for all who are suffering from overactive bladder.First you should go for training programs after that you can go for Surgery but bladder control training programs are better than surgery. Rolling Eyes
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Hi madmaes!!

I can Understand your problem. You told that it was the major surgery.There is a training program who suffers from bladder problems.I think it is better to know about this training program.You may get some useful information regarding pain relief also.
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Hi madmaes!!

I can Understand your problem. You told that it was the major surgery.There is a training program who suffers from bladder problems.I think it is better to know about this training program.You may get some useful information regarding pain relief also.bladdertrainingprogram.com
|

replied September 1st, 2009
i had my gb out on 2nd of july, some days are ok others i cant be botherd to do anything, im tired, nausiated, and feel worn out .... had to have a week of heperin jabs after op due to suspected dvt , so i was running back and fore hospitals everyday 4 the 1st week of the op, i got dysentry terrible too ! think id rather suffer the probs b4 the op lol !
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Gallbladder Surgery
I had Gallbladder Surgery on the 17th of August I am very tired, back to work however, my navel is very sore I had over 73 gallstones in my gallbladder and was mis-diagnosed as the pain being related to ulcers..Anyone have any information I can use as to why so fatigue and also major allergic reactions and I have never been allergic to anything. Help what can I do any advice?
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2009
Pain after Gallbladder removed
I had my gallbaldder removed 2 weeks ago and I still have constant pain on my right side under my ribs and it hurts when take a deep breath. I also get so nauseas after I eat. I'm not eating anything that contains fat. Is this pain normal????? I'm so tired of been in pain a month bafore the op and still now Sad
|

replied November 17th, 2009
GALLBLADDER REMOVAL AND LIVER BIOPSY
I had my gallbladder removed ( lap ) and a liver biopsy on nov 6th 2009. the reason for the liver biopsy is they found it to be a fatty liver ( non-alcohol). i went home the same day and felt fine, no pain meds at all, all week i felt fine, no pain except around the belly button, a little sore.
all of a sudden, sunday morning, i woke up to pain in the liver area from my right abdomen side to my right shoulder it radiates to. it hurts to breathe, cough and sneeze.
i called my surgeon and he told me to go for a sonogram this morning to rule out free fluid and stones in the bile duct. it was ruled out, now what ? maybe a cat scan this week. i am so confused. does anyone have this problem or know what it could be. thank you
|