Hi, my name is rachel, and i'm 12 years old.

Ok, back in january 2005, I wasn't feeling good then I threw up. I got it on the carpet a lil bit and my mom got ticked off. I puked twice more later in the night. I can't look at puke, because that freaks me out too, and that's why I usually get it everywhere if i'm not with a trash can. A few weeks later, I started getting nausea all the time, but I never threw up. That mostly lasted from february to june. I missed school and I got all kinds of tests taken at the doctor's office, but nothing was wrong with me. I think about that night every day, and it makes me scared. When I was feeling nauseated, I would carry a trash can around, like my best friend, in case I puked, but like I said, I never did. Now, as I said I think about that night everyday, and for some reason if I refer to something that happened in 2004, I would think it as "______ happened before I threw up" or "last time it was christmas, it was less than a month before I threw up" it's like i'm obsessed with it, but I get really freaked out and scared about it.

Is there something wrong with me? I've been doing research about it, and I am glad that i'm not alone, though. Sites say its emetophobia, or some sort of anxiety disorder. And, sorry if I got to detailed and grossed you out.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 17th, 2006
Hi rachel!

I'm so sorry no one has replied to you and I really hope you still check this site out because I know exactly how you feel! My name is kassie and I am fifteen years old, not much older than you. When I was twelve, the same age as you this happened to me. I was a normal kid, I was never afraid of throwing up, although I really didn't like it. Then one day during the cold and flu season a boy in my sixth grade chorus class threw up. It was gross, but it didn't bother me too much. But, the next day, once again in chorus class, another girl threw up, I was starting to get really freaked out by this. Unfortunatly, the next day another girl (in the same class!) threw up while runnin out the door! Sure enough a week later I caught the stomach flu(luckily I was at home). I didnt bother me too much either, but then the strage anxiety started to happen. I came back to school a few days later(totaly better) and all the sudden I felt like I was going to throw up, but I didnt. We had to go on a chorus field trip and the nurse made me bring a bag on the bus, but again I didnt throw up. For the next year the symptoms went away, and then in eighth grade my anxiety got so severe I went to the doctor. My whole anxiety to this day is about getting sick(vomiting). Then that year I got stomach flu, and was so freaked out. Every day I feel like im gonna throw up. But guess what.. I never do. I ve been on meds to counselors, and now in an anxiety program. But I can identify with you exactly about the refering to the last time I was sick. Whenever I feel like im gonna be sick I tell me mom (even though its been a few years) "mom this is the month before I got sick last time, so I must be going to get sick" or "mom this is exactly what I ate/the activity I did/ or exactly how I felt before I got sick that one time, so it must be real this time!" and you know what, its never real(knock on wood). I'm getting a lot better, but its taken soooooo much hard work and unfortanatly its one of those situations where you get worse before you get better. I could go on and on about how I relate and talk about throwing up in my daily life, but it would take up this whole page. I hope you still get this, and yes I do think that youve got anxiety, because what anxiety does is create so real instances, and trust me I know just how real it is! I suggest breathing and muscle tension exercises, stay healthy, sugar and caffeine(my two fave things) are what can trigger anxiety attacks. Talk to you parents or even me if youve got questions. By now I guess youve either gotten rid of it or gotten help from your parents or doctor. If you do have anxiety dont feel like the only one, did you know that one in every five people has an anxiety disorder. I hope this helps and that you can email me back. I hope you feel better and know that your not alone, and there are many methods of help you can get.

Good luck!

From,
kassie :)
p.S. : I found out from a doctor that people with anxiety disorder usually have characteristcs like loving, kind, caring, creative, and, big imagination(thats what helps make our anxiety so real!)
|
Users who thank dodi7878 for this post: yoshi21 

replied July 26th, 2006
Hi rachel, my name is elena I am 24 years old and I suffer like you. It is called emetophobia (the fear of vomiting). It is one of the most common fears people suffer from, yet no one usually talks about it. I have suffered from this since I was about 8 years old. I went from 11 years old to 18 years old with never throwing up, but was nauseas everyday. I threw up when I was 18, on two different occasions and then once last year when I was 23. Yet, everynight before going to bed I get anxiety thinking that I might wake up and throw up. I cant stand the smell, the sight, the sound. Yet, I am obsessed with it. If someone I know threw up I ask a million questions. I want to know how many times, what hour of the day did it start, how long were they in agony before they actually threw up, did they have a fever..Etc. Its sick, and I researched and talked to people with the same fear and they too, never throw up, yet they obsess about it. I am very picky about food, becuase I am afraid of food poisoning, therefore I have lost alot of weight becuase I am afraid to eat. You are 12. You need counseling now. Dont be like me, 24 years old and carrying around the hand sanitizer to disinfect your hands everytime you touch something for fear of catching a virus like me. If I could get rid of the fear I would ina heart beat. There is a site I found that really opened my eyes. Its www.Gut-reaction.Freeserve.Co.Uk/emetophob ia.htm hope it helps and good luck
|

replied July 26th, 2006
Girls, I am just like all of you....But you do have a chance to overcome it! I did! I am 25 years old...And I suffered all through middle and high school avoiding sick people, not eating food that might make me sick...And chugging pepto bismol to make sure I didn't puke when I was nauseous.

A few years ago during the fall...I got a terrible case of food poisioning and threw up a bunch! I have come to realize that probably everyone in the world has puked at least a few times...Why should mine be any different? I am not afraid of anything else...Just puking....And so guess what I decided? I went to school and started getting a degree in nursing. I have been puked on, and saw people puke, on average I see people puke at least once a day. When you realize that honestly you are not the only one who does it...At least for me it was alright.

Who cares where you puke...Who cares how you puke...Who cares about any of that! You are human....And it will take time to get used to it. Honestly, if I didn't get food poisioning and puke my guts out...I don't think I would have had the courage to go for my nursing degree...Now I help people who are scared of puking, and help them feel better. Try becoming one with the idea that everyone in the world pukes...From oprah to brad pitt to paris hilton to me!
|
Users who thank clairy r for this post: yoshi21 

replied August 3rd, 2006
Hey!! I have the same problem, emetophobia. Its more common then you think. I belong to a emetophobia forum, its really helpfull and you get to talk to people with the same fear. Its something that took over my life. Im 17, nealry 18 and I have had it for about 3 years. It got to the point I refused to eat anything as I was to scared to bring anything up, I became very ill to the point I nealry lost my life. I now carry anti-emetic tablets with me now, which give the courage to eat again, if I feel that sick I have one. Its not a cure, but it helps. I hope you get this sorted, try talking to your doctor or getting some thearapy.
|

replied October 8th, 2006
Hi!
Hi everyone I have just opened a site today for people who have a fear of vomit. I am trying to gather some people so we can all help eachother. If you are intersted have a look and join it is free. Http://scaredtovomit.Myfastforum.Org/index .Php I am really hoping this will help us all. There are so many people out there with this phobia!
|

replied February 24th, 2009
Fear Of Vomiting
Hello everyone I have been suffering from this for a few months now and some days will be good and some days will be bad. I just hate this feeling of wondering if I'm going to throw up tonight or saying things like its been a month since I last threw up its annoying. About 3 months ago I came down with strep throat and I had to take antibiotics which made me sick, very sick I was puking every day. Eventually I got better but then started suffering from anxiety over it. I made my myself so upset on a few occasions I did end up making myself sick. I sometimes can't sleep at night cause I get anxiety over it and I make myself feel sick. Im so sick of feeling like this!( no pun intented).
|

replied January 26th, 2010
For me it's other people being sick
Hello everyone!
I am 24 years old and have suffered with the anxiety that other people will be sick around me since I was about 17. I avoid flying, going to the cinema, theme parks and crowded places especially where people are drinking. Since moving in with my boyfriend I find I don't like anybody to visit in case they are sick in my house. It's really strange because I find myself making excuses so I don't have to deal with the situation.
I never stayed at a friends house when I was a teenager and rarely went clubbing etc. My boyfriend has said he wants to pay for me to have therapy as he now realises how much this phobia disrupts my life and makes me feel uncomfortable. I just hope it works!
I think the best thing everyone with this problem can do is try and get help instead of just living with it and letting it control our lives.
|

replied February 19th, 2010
Hiya, I'm Sophie. I've had an anxiety disorder now for almost a year, because of Emetophobia.
It's awful. I really feel for you guys. I've been in and out of hospitals because my symptoms were so real (headache, nausea, tummy ache, fainting.) Whenever I feel sick, I get panic attacks. I can't go on public transport because I'm scared I will throw up. I can't stand school, I do whatever I can to not go in. I skive my lessons and I get into lots of trouble. When people I know are ill, I obsessed over it and ask millions of questions. I'm scared of doing exams, going to peoples houses, going to theatres and basically anywhere that I know I can't get out.
I can't sleep at night because I get it in my head that I will throw up in the night. I developed an eating disorder and made myself seriously ill because I refused to consume nothing except water. It really has ruined my life, my grades have gone down and my personality has changed. I stay at home all the time and never go out. I just wish I could be normal like everyone else and be scared of normal things, like creepy crawlies. I miss being normal.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
I too, suffer from alot of stomach anxiety. I constantly feel nauceous... I carry a plastic bag in my purse "just in case" which I have never told anyone because I am so embarassed of my fear.
I am 28 years old and have been struggling with anxiety for 10 years, but the stomach issues for about 2.
I avoid so much in life, and struggle with everyday tasks such as grocery shopping, going to restaurants, even work some days, and all together avoid movie theatres or some stores. I get extra panicky if I am not near an Exit, just in case I have to get sick.
I constantly drink Ginger Ale because they say ginger sooths the stomach.
I eat Gravol almost daily however it makes me sleepy, and I wish I could find something else to take (any suggestions???)
Eating is difficult for me, as I feel like my throat is going to close sometimes if I eat too fast or too much, and then I feel sick after eating and fear throwing up.
Does anyone have any suggestions?!?
I struggle with opening up to a counsellor although I continue to see her.
I am so tired of avoiding things in life and missing out on things.
|

replied February 21st, 2010
I live in a nightmare!
Hi - My name is Katie and I am 34 years old.
I constantly live in fear of getting sick, seeing sick, smelling sick you name it I live in sick hell!
I have a daughter who is 4 years old and I live in fear that she is going to be sick and it became very real on Friday when she was sick for almost 12 hrs, every 1/2 hour! I was very brave and cleaned her up, sat with her and rubbed her back and made a really big effort not to make abig thing of it as I don't want to pass my phobia onto her. She is much better but now my anxiety is at a high as I now think I am going to get sick. Everyone tells me not to worry as adults don't always pick up childhood illnesses but then there is so much talk of noroviruses that are v infectious. Its coming to a point now that I don't want to go places, travel or go out with friends I know will drink heavily and perhaps get sick.
Noone seems to understand and everyone thinks I ma silly and a pain in the arse when I get panicky when we go out. I am at my wits end. I have had cognitive therapy, hynotherapy and nothing works - sick is disgusting for everyone, you are not supposed to like it but one day I would like to wake up and not think 'am I going to be sick today?'.
I am considering anti-depressants if they work but not sure of the long term effects. What do I do?
Please HELP!!
|

replied February 25th, 2010
Vomiting
I'm 15 and still have this problem, in 5th grade I had a bad experience with vomiting and am still scared of it, my little brother threw up last night and I ran out of the rum and wouldn't go near him until he is 100% better, this fear is still messing with my head, I'm taking prosac now and I had theropy and it made it a lttle better.
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Wow...
Reading this page and all of everyone's experiences really opened my eyes and moved me to tears. I feel the exact same way as all of you. I'm incredibly afraid of being sick, when I feel nausea, I will fight it so hard. I'm 19 years old and have just recently realized this is my problem. I also feel nausea everyday [sometimes mild, sometimes not mild] but I never throw up. I haven't thrown up for 6 years, and before that, 5 years. I usually feel normal and healthy, but randomly and out of nowhere I feel sudden mild or not-mild nausea. I recently had to leave work and often miss class because of it. It's impacting my life so much and I'm so exhausted from it. I'm making an appointment tomorrow to see a counselor at my university and see what I need to do to get better. What has worked for me so far, however, is reading the book, The Secret. It's pretty much about positive thinking and thinking good thoughts. It helps me at times, but I feel I also need outside help. I often wish I could cancel school and work because I'm afraid of the anxiety coming back. I also think that, if you guys haven't already, open up to those closest to you. I have been dealing with this all alone for the past 10 years, and coming out at talking to my mother and grandmother have made it so much better, but I'm still not there yet...I know I'm probably rambling now, but I'm just so glad I found this page and so thankful that I was able to read your guys' posts. It's wonderful to know you're not alone, isn't it?
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
At what was one of the greatest moments of my life (watching the olympics) I suddenly had to puke too and its a nightmare to go through. I wish you well.
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
my horrible fear.
Hey everyone, wow it's good to know i'm not alone. I'm 18 years old (since last thursday) and I have a serious problem with throwing up. I HATE it. I dont even know where it came from. when i was litle i remember i never liked it, obviously. but now it's just gotten to the point where i get SO nervous whenever i feel nauseus. back in november i started to get really nauseus out of nowhere and i honestly felt like i was going to throw up, thank goodness i didnt because i was at a birthday party. it came back the next month and i decided to see my doctor. she told me i have a hormone irregularity that comes with my period every month, and that makes me nauseus. so this does happen every month and lasts for about a week. it's HELL to go through. the second i feel nauseus i freak out. it gets really bad... it's been interfering with school lately too. if i feel nauseus i have to be alone and just try to calm myself down. i never do throw up, but you can never be too sure. it's interfering with my social life too. tonight i'm actually supposed to be going out with some friends but i'm feeling nauseus and it's making me very anxious. i definitely have a really bad fear of throwing up. i cant stand the sight, sound, smell or especially the feeling of it. it's terrible. i just dont know why i feel this way. everyone i talk to about this doesnt understand, because they dont mind it as much. i just hope you guys feel the same way. thank you.
|

replied March 30th, 2010
help!
No way i dont believe this! I have struggled with the same thing for ages and never in a million years thought it was an actual thing and other people are the same! I finally had enough of thinking and feeling this way tonight so decided to research it to maybe find hypnotherapy as it is so severe i doubt just counselling can help?! im 20 and havent been physically sick since 11 and i can only remember bein sick on 1 occasion before that. i have never been sick in a toilet because i didnt want to puke so much that i refused to go and just did it all over the floor. but now i live in my own house i just sit next to the toilet for ages and sleep with a bowl next to my bed every nite in case im sick coz i would have to clean it up which i just couldnt do. it has got loads worse since i started working at a nursery. the kids are always getting sick and loads of bugs go round. i just think... its been 9 years since ive been sick i MUST be going to be sick soon?! i back away from people when they get close, wont eat anything with my fingers and wash my hands constantly. i even refused to have pethadine when i was in labour as they warned me it could make me vomit, and since my daughter started nursery shes had several tummy bugs which has made me even more scared, this sounds so awful but i cant even kiss her on the lips anymore in case she passes something on to me. i cant eat things i used to love like fish or curry coz i just imagine how horrible it would be to be thrown up, so i go for simple stuff like toast. it is affecting me so badly i need to get help but dont know where to go???
|

replied April 4th, 2010
A friend of mine suffers from this. He never really spoke with me about it but I could imagine it would be hard to deal with when your sick.
|

replied May 1st, 2010
I believe that it would be a nice and helpful thing if we could find people in our areas with our same problem. That, I think, will help us to open up to people and to talk about how we've gotten through the days where puking is your main thought. I'm in high school and for 6 years no one has been able to fully understand me. I have felt like puking for so long but never once had I puked until this year. I also, on a random note, fainted in my shower because of pain from 3 things. I puked this morning and it was because of my new boyfriend who has made me anxious and nervous about school and other situations. I feel bad and have no idea what to do anymore, ...I feel like I have completely given up with this.
|

replied February 17th, 2011
i hate it
awww i have had this for about 6 months now and its really starting to hit me. i just recently started taking zoloft but when i was in the chemist they said a side affect was nuesea so my stomach turned. ive tried it but no matter what happens i always have to have peppermint gum with me so it can calm me down but im sick of living on it. i get told by teachers to spit it out in class and its so hard to stay calm. no one seems to understand what it does and how it makes us feel unless you go through it. i cant sit in cinemas or rooms with alot of people and i defenetly cant sleep at other peoples houses especially if there drinking becuase the fear of them being sick or me being sick infront of them. its just hard as to live with this but i know its hard but we all have to get out there. when i first got it i avoided school which affected my grades and im in yr 11 now and i cant have to many days off. i wanna be able to have fun but as i was saying hanging out with freinds around town really helps me and i seem to enjoy it when i keep my mind busy like going to a game shop and looking around or playing a game at home if you cant go anywhere. i just hope yous all overcome this fear because its the hardest thing to live with. id rather have a cold or a broken arm then this thats how much it affects me i just wish the best luck for all of use. remember you are not alone in this.
|

replied September 4th, 2011
i'm afraid too
I'm 14, and I've been an emetophobe since 5th grade. I got two different stomach bugs two weeks apart, and for a long time even the thought of vomiting made me so scared I'd get nauseous. I felt nauseous all the time, and had to go through all sorts of tests, and they said nothing was wrong with me. That lasted a couple of years. I could somehow remember everything leading up to getting sick, and I was afraid to do anything I'd done leading up to it, even if it was totally unrelated. I used to lie in bed at night feeling so sick I'd have to fight not to throw up... don't even get me started on other people throwing up, even on TV.
I finally got a stomach bug this winter, and I realized that vomiting itself isn't actually that bad, but the thought still freaks me out. I think I'm getting better, though, because I'm more able to handle myself than I was. I'm still afraid, but not as much as I used to be. I hope one day to be not afraid at all.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...