Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Birth Control After 40?

My doctor tells me this should be my last prescription for bcps, and she does not recommend any other hormone related contraception.

Here's what we tried in the past. Rhythm (failed), foam (failed), condoms (one broke, but I did not get pregnant), and withdrawal (used briefly, but no failures).

I don't want to go back to foam, sponge, diaphragm, or iud. I don't like condoms, but will put up with them. My husband tells me its my choice, and he will cooperate, anything short of vasectomy.

I would like to use withdrawal during my "safe" periods. Does this sound too risky at my age?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 27th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
You can actually monitor your cycles, and know when you ovulate. I know I am not 40..But I cannot use hormones.. There are only 6-7 days a month you can actually become pregnant. 4-5 days before you ovulate, because the sperm can live up to 5 days. And 2 days after you ovulate, the egg dies. So if you use fertility monitors ect.. You may actually be able to really avoid pregnancy. But risks are still high. Have you considered tubal ligation?
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...