Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Trgretol...photosensitivity.....and...normal Eeg Reading.

Hiya everyone,
im on tegretol, I have recently been diagnosed with epilepsy I am 21yrs old. The tegretol isnt working I have been told I have a rare temporal lobe epilepsy because I am photosensitive also. Although I have no known abnormalities so far. But I am still having what they call grand mal and absence seizures daily. I also get weird squiggles in my eyes and headaches that go from front to back of my head. Then I feel like I am really weak or light headed dizzy and like I am having dejavu sometimes my feet feel strange also like tingles all over. Anyone else feel like this. Question the photosensitivity part is I cant look at a t.V or a p.C screen on an angle or look at the trees flicker with the sunlight or handle and flickering lights at all or camera flashes. Camera flaches make me have grand mal seizures with in 2 minutes or less usually I get no warning found this all out when I was out with my family for dinner I was so Embarassed anyway hope someone out there can help me.
Thankyou sam Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 19th, 2003
Experienced User
Meds
Hi sami
im on the same page as you. Only i've had brain surgery in june of 2002. I was diagnosed w/ epy in 98 and trying several meds and seeing 4 neuros. Finally after they all suggested b.S. I ended up at u.C. Davis. After trying several meds with allergic reactions to alot of them the same ones you talk about. I got worse and worse over those 4 years. My boss let me go, could'nt drive anymore. So I decided to go thru the b.S. After several trips back and forth to sac from oroville for a little overa year with alot of testing I finnally had the surgery. I'm much better. So you take care jamie
|

replied December 22nd, 2003
Hi sam
tegratol is he main drug used to treat front/temporal lobe epilepsy. Normally it is not taken alone and is complemented with another aed depending on severity and seizure types.
Photosensitivity is very common and you are not alone. Strong fluorecent light are the main culprits to trigger seizures (like the ones in shopping malls - they make everything look white)
i was unable to sit infront of a pc monitor without having a seizure now I am a software designer and spent most part of my day in front of a pc monitor.
Unfortunately, treatment of epilepsy relys on trial and error as epilepsy can be as individual as the person who has it.
You are not alone
jc
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Arvind Malhotra
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....