Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

High Blood Pressure On Bcpatch!!!

So, after learning about the risks associated with the ortho evra patch I decided to switch to the pill thinking this would be a pretty easy switch that my health care provider would be more than happy to assist me with. After about an hour on the phone with kaiser and another 2 hours waiting for them to get back to me they say that they can't write me a prescription because of my "high blood pressure." i've had it for the past few months and they didn't seem at all concerned about it at the time and never reccomended I quit the birth control. So i'm just curious as to why they're concerned now. I'm worried about it, I am only 24 but heart problems run in my family. What if i'm at risk for a heart attack or stroke and I was putting myself at a greater risk by taking the patches the past 3 years.. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going to the see the Dr. On friday but I am not sure exactly what they're gonna say
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
High blood pressure is not an absolute contraindication to pills. I would suggest you to optimise blood pressure before going for pills to be on safe side.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.