I've been with my boyfriend for almost 3 years and he's the only person i've slept with during this course of our relationship. I've gotten my annual pap tests and for the last two years i've turned up negative for any stds. Recently, I had my test...About two weeks ago? And my results came back stating that I have chlamydia.

Now...Im just confused because chlamydia can only be transmitted sexually and this narrows down to that he might have caught it from someone during our time together. He swears he hasn't had any sort of sexual contact with any girl and I believe him.

My questions now are is it possible for chlamydia to be hidden for long periods of time and not detected until later? And if it can be contracted through other ways like respiratory droplets like coughing or any sort of that nature? Oh and one more thing....How is chlamydia developed, what causes it?

Please ...Help me clear up my confused thinking!!! :roll:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
Chlamydia, is a bacterial infection caused by pathogen (germ) chlamydia usually infects the genitals of both men and women, but can also infect the throat, rectum and eyes. Chlamydia is one of the most common std's - and because more than 50% who have chlamydia have no symptoms at all - chlamydia infection usually goes untreated.
Chlamydia is mainly passed through sexual activity:
vaginal or anal sex with an infected partner
oral sex, although this is less common
sharing sex toys
touching parts of the body with fingers (for example, chlamydia often occurs in the eyes)
you can not catch chlamydia from simple kissing, sharing baths, towels, cups, or from toilet seats. The incubation period of chlamydia is
7-21 days. It would show up in a test after this time.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
good answer
i looked for this answer on so many sites and could'nt find anything to explain it better. thanks
|
Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....