Let me start with saying I am 9 weeks post-op cervical surgery. The fusion of my c-6 to c-7 was done after a car wreck sublexed and fractured 1 of the vertabra. This was causing severe pain's in the neck, shoulder's, upper arm and hand along with numbness and weakness. The surgery took away some of the pain's and weakness but my shoulder's and upper arm's still hurt when raising them up or out to the side's. I am going to therapy for rotator cuff tendinitis. Can anyone tell me if these pain's could still be from nerve damage? Is there anything else which could be the problem? Thank's steevo
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 16th, 2006
Since this last post, I have been through weeks of therapy followed by months of follow up with the same excersise and increased weight training waiting to see the next doc that could fit me in. I finally had two cortisone shots, one in both shoulders. My question is, without using some sort of x-ray machine, how could this guy know where to position the needle he stuck in me?
|

replied February 16th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
He really couldn't other than by using the old method of landmark injections.

There are still many old school docs out there that do injections without floroscopy because it was the best that was had when they got into medicine but there is no way I would be having injections around my spine without the use of floroscopy. There is no reason to not use it and it is the best way to pinpoint the right location and also repete the injection at the same location if the earlier injection was successful.
|

replied February 20th, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I am going for a follow up visit next week and will question the doc about this. It's been about a week since the shot's and I can say they have probally did more harm than good seeing the same old pain's are there along with some new one's which make my bicep muscle's feel like I over did an arm workout. Will up-date later, I guess the experiment's are not over yet!
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I have no doubt that it did put you in more hurt than before. Those procedures are really intense and to do it blind makes no sense.

You may want to follow up with him but go back to your family doc and get a referal to a reputable spine doc that uses more modern methods of practice.

Your cervical spine is the easiest to break and the most difficult to fix. It is imperative that they not make a mistake in there.

You would do good to go to www.Spineuniverse.Com and also www.Spine-health.Com

and read about injections and success vs. Failures and other procedures as well.

Good luck steevo, like you, me, coastie, buttons and others are on the long, long, long, long, long, road to possible painless life. (i hope at least)
|

Hey thank's again, i'll use your advice and get a second opinion. We have to keep trying. Will post later.
|

replied March 9th, 2006
I went back for a second set of crtisone injections after talking with the doc. The first set without x-ray were put into the rotor cups which are fairly large in comparison to where he put the second one's. These were done under x-ray, with a dye and put directly into the shoulder joint. I don't really know the difference but it did seem to help. It's only been two day's with minimum activity so I can't say yet if it completely took the pain away or not but so far it has done some good. Will post later as I learn more.
|

replied July 14th, 2010
Body aches pain low mood feeling
Be relax act happy take it easy. Take a break fr norm . A holiday help ease pain
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...