Hi,
i was diagnosed in november 2003. I had what was diagnosed as uveitis during summer of 2003 and experienced tingling on entire left side (not the face) in november 2003. I was treated with steroid drip. Mri showed multiple lesions. Spinal fluid showed no antibodies. I started on betaseron in january 2004. Six weeks after starting the betaseron I experienced sensory symptoms (lost temperature sensation) in right hand. At this point I have a lot of numbness on large parts of my body and I experience persistent tingling in my left hand (and loss of some strength and dexterity in that hand). I may be experiencing some decline in cognitive processes but i'm also getting older. My question...Has anyone else experienced only sensory symptoms and feel you may have benign ms? Did you start/are you staying on your abc drug? Have you discussed the issue with your neurologist? Would love any feedback or discussion. Thanks. Beth
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper luckyMSgirl
|

replied November 26th, 2005
Hi I was dx in spring of 2000 with on, had an mri..All my sensory sx are very weak and only last minutes at a time ie numbness, needles/pins..Think i'm between benign/rr 2 symptoms i'm not sure about attaching to the ms are ear ringing and some erectile dysfunction that I later learned could be ms symptoms..I take no abc drugs just have used diet/supplements, my neuro told me to wait on the meds as did my gp. Deric
|

replied November 6th, 2011
I, at 49 had a major episode in 2001. For nearly 2 mos I saw double and could barely, after a month, get out of bed. The first diagnosis was a stroke but one Dr realized the MRIs had not changed and the spot was a lesion. I went on an interferon drug until an infection went septic in 2008 and I spent a month in a coma. Since that time, I have only been treated for anxiety. I personally believe if I had not been going through extreme stress in 2001, the gene would have not surfaced. My right side is slightly slower and when anxiety arises the right leg becomes slightly numb. I however, have had no progression, December will be 10 years. I was told at the Mayo, afer 10 yrs, it can be concidered benign. I take care of myself with a good diet and supplements but believe the reduction in anxiety is what keeps me well.
|

replied November 27th, 2005
Benign Ms
Deric,
thanks for your input. When I was diagnosed the abc drugs were a given. My neurologist never suggested waiting to assess the course of my illness. I'm seeing another neurologist this week who thinks that you can predict the course of a patient's ms. He believes millions of dollars are spent treating patients who's ms would follow the same course with or without the medication.
I've heard that ed can be a consequence of ms. Ear ringing sounds like it could be a consequence of ms. Best of health and post more about your use of alternative medicine if you get a chance. Beth
|

replied November 29th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Two years ago I was diagnosed with severe optic neuritis. Although I am at high risk for ms, because my father had it, my consultant advised me to wait to see if any other symptoms develop before doing any tests. No drugs at all were prescribed.

Since then, I have been taking high doses of vitamin d, plus linseeds, lecithin, and essential fatty acids. So far (touch wood) I have had no other symptoms, other than very poor short term memory which may or may not be related.

It does seem, if you look around, that a lot more people have some minor versions of symptoms associated with ms than are actually diagnosed with it, no different from what some of the people with "benign ms" seem to have, but without having bothered to look into it. The either/or of ms may be wrong -- it seems that there is a very big continuum of symptoms, and some of the people who are being medicated might never have had any progression.
|

replied November 29th, 2005
Hi poo, mine was severe on too! I have taken to a veg diet since dx and use hempseed oil as my essential fatty acid atleast twice a day. I agree my gp even said how do you know if your treating a remission and praise the meds. For benign ms I feel the best cases never become a stat because they never see a Dr.
|

replied November 3rd, 2007
Anyone Like Me?
Was diagnosed in 1978, sole symptoms were numbness, tingling and optic neuritis. No follow-up symptoms until August of this year -- yeah, close to 30 years symptom-free. Tingling and numbness only this time, responding nicely to preds.

Has anyone on this network had this sort of experience? Just curious.
|
Users who thank luckyMSgirl for this post: AnnieO 

replied May 21st, 2008
Lucky MS girl
I was so relieved to read your letter. 32 years ago I was diagnosed as having MS after a bad bout of numbness and tingling but wasn't TOLD of the diagnosis. I was a young mum of 22 so the doc decided to tell me I had some viral complaint and see what happened. Three years later I began to loose my hearing and have bouts of vertigo but I had changed doctors & moved to the other end of the country and no reference was ever made to that earlier diagnosis. I finally got hold of my own medical noted just a few weeks ago and read the truth. Now I can track all the little episodes of vertigo, gradual loss of hearing, leg pains etc over the years, but my present doctor refuses to consider MS as she says I am too well!!! At the moment I'm going mad trying to get someone to take me seriously.
Who can I talk to???
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
Good Luck
That is terrible that your Dr wont consider MS. I was diagnosed about 9 years ago and have had no symptoms apart from 1 ON about 5 years ago. My Neurologist says I definitely have MS no matter that I dont have any relapses, he wont consider changing his diagnosis and has said I have benign MS. I only have 3 tiny legions showing in my MRI scan and even he struggled to find them. That in my opinions tells that once you have been diagnosed, unless it has been later ruled or explained with another diagnosis, then you have MS. I think you should get a 2nd opinion under the circumstances. Good Luck. Dawn
|

replied May 10th, 2009
benigng ms and sweating
I have had only temp visual problems and tingeling on left side, but lately I have found that it is very easy for me to sweat
|

replied April 24th, 2010
I was admitted to hospital in 1985 with the whole of the left hand side of my body from my ankles to my neck completly numb.I was 34. They seemed to think i had had a stroke but apart from the numbness and not being able to sense hot/cold i felt fine. It wore off over twelve days and after loads of tests they sent me home. I went back to see the consultant and he put it down to a virus that i had proberbly contracted during childhood ie; mumps,that had not shown its self and had layed dormant until now and had hatched out in the top of my spine causing the numbness(Yes thats right). I was fine until 1998 and i had the same thing happen although not so severe. After an MRI i was told it was benign ms . I have no medication unless i get pain in my arm which once in a blue moon.Thing is no one takes me seriously as i look and feel so well,a blessing or a curse im not sure. Although i do realise how lucky i am.Susanne.
|

replied August 28th, 2010
Anyone taking Copaxone who may not need to?
I was diagnosed in Sept 2009 after my spinal tap showed antibodies. I have had two MRIs since which showed no lesions. I was diagnosed after suffering from mild numbness/pins and needles in my legs only if I would bend my neck down (touching my chin to my chest). I have since been taking Copaxone every day. I was recently told that I may have benign MS. I have no other symptoms or pain in any of my extremities. I was wondering if anyone else was diagnosed but does not have any symptoms other than mild numbness.
|

replied August 31st, 2011
RE: MS Diagnoses?
I was diagnosed in 2004 with Primary Progressive MS after a battery of tests, and the MS has stayed in the brain, with no evidence of plaques in the spinal fluid. Now, after several different types of brain scans, the radiologist and the neurologist can't really diagnose MS, but they say it might be early onset Alzheimers. Although I continue to have flat, or no, ankle reflexes, I am numb from the neck down to my feet......which is not indicative of Alzheimers. At this time I am going through a very tough divorce, and the Defendant attorney will state that I have been "milking" the system by "pretending" I have MS! Does anybody else look good, can walk ok, but have cognitive complaints, and are accused of pretending MS?
|

replied September 10th, 2011
Experienced User
Hi, noone but yourself knows how you feel and what you can and can't do. I was Diagnosed in 2000. It is now 2011. My neuro released me from treatment about 3 or 4 years ago stating that he thinks my MS has run its course. Some people with MS look normal, but they do have issues. I have a handicapped plaquard and you should see the looks I get. People are just mean. To this day, I have constant tingling in my feet, hands and I use a cane for my balance. When I tried to collect disability in 2001, I was turned down. I got a lawyer. They could not convice them that I needed it. It took a lot of letter writing on my part and I finally received it in 2001. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate. Keep fighting. When doctors don't know they guess. MS mimics other auto-immune diseases.
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....