Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Put On Lots of Weight Now I Need to Lose It

Hi, I put on too much weight in recovery, its not stopping, and I need to lose it...How can I do it healthily? I need to lose @ least 5lbs
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 19th, 2005
How Much Do You Weigh?
How much do you weigh? Before you think you need to lose, make sure you are really needing to, not just "thinking" you need to. I know I felt fat after treatment going from 53 pounds to over 100 in 3 months. I thought I would just lose 5 pounds but I started and it didn;t stop there. Within a few months I had lost 20 pounds and it was hard to stop.
|

I weigh from 88-90 now.....But im not that tall......And its like all the fat has accumilated nowhere but my stomach.....I cort of cant seem to get myself to starve anymore..I know I shouldnt...But the fact that I dont have the courage to, just scares the hell out of me......Its like I cant lose weight the healthy way and the lbs only drop when I do it the unhealthy way
|

Sorry, You Don;t Need to
I'm sorry but I really don't think you need to lose any weight. I know you may feel fat and all but even if you were like 4'10" tall, your'e still underweight. I suffer from anorexia and bulimia and I know how you feel. I find myself grossing out over my recent 10 pound weight gain so I don't look at myself in the mirror anymore(naked) and I only weigh myself once a day as soon as I wake up. I don't really know what to say. I am not recovered myself so I guess I shouldn't be giving others rebukes for wanting to lose even though they are underweight. When I feel really fat I just go for a nice long walk. It helps.
|

Hey dear.....I know how u feel

ive gained like 15lbs!! In 5 months!! I feel so bad..I try not to lok @ the mirror cos everytime I do look at it...I burst into tears......I dont know how to cope and deal with it
|

replied November 20th, 2005
I Understand.
I really understand. When my weight fell to 53 pounds, I was commited to a locked facility against my will and everything was taken away from me. No smokes, no coffee, no exersize, no t.V. No anything. Because it was a ward for those who are in danger of themselves or others, I wasn't even allowed my crossstich or sewing. I was put on bedrest and told I would stay there until I gained 50 pounds. They forced me to eat 3,500 calories every day even though I had stayed under 60 pounds for 3 years and used to a diet of only 300-500 calories a day. It was hell. I can say that is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life. It was only 3 months and I had gained the full 50 pounds and let me tell you, I felt like the hugest flabbiet ugliest person alive. I cried and cried every day and resolved to lose it promptly as soon as I got out. (of corse I didn't tell the doctor that) every one said I looked great but inside I was being eaten alive. I lost some of the weight but not all (actually glad I didn't realising that i'd probably die before getting back down that low) but guess how long it took me? 2 years to lose 30 pounds!!!!! And I just found out I have low thyroid and I have actually put on 10 pounds in 2 weeks and even though I probably eat 800 calories a day or less, I am still gaining...I am angry and I feel fat too. Like I said, I go fort a walk and I power walk at least 2 hours a day. Hypothyroidism sucks. I can't lose any weight unless I eat nothing and even then I bet i'd only lose a pound or two at the most per week. Hope you get feeling better, and by the way, the more you diet, the slower your metabolism gets, I just don;t want you to end up like me. I love food and I am upset that I have to purge my meals just so I don't gain 5 pounds a week.
|

replied November 20th, 2005
Oh my goodness....I am so sorry to hear about your thyroid and all that you have been through.....Yesterday my mom bought some jeans which were sposed to be 28 inches but was in a small cut, so it was around 25, and she couldnt wear it so she asked me to try it out....Then I tried it and it fit perfectly...When she saw it she went "oh my god!! You can wear it???" immediately I started screaming that I was fat and crying and thought of just killing myself........Thinkin of it still makes me cry.......Why must I gothrough this?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....