I'm just wondering, can heart disease begin in teen years? I'm 21 yrs old now. But all through my childhood up until I turned 20, I did not eat vegetables! Fruits, occasionally I did eat. But my diet mainly consited of anything junk. I ate fast food almost daily, tv dinners, and packaged snacks everyday. I had slight anemia as a child but ignored it. I just loved fast food. Particulary mcdonalds fries and nuggets! I lived off it.

When I turned 20 I started having chest pains that felt like jolts on the upper left part of my chest. My doctor gave me acid reflux medicine for it and said heart disease is nearly impossible for a young lady my age. And recently, a year later, i've actually felt my pulse and heart skip a beat..And many times. I talked to my doctor, the same doctor, about my pulse skipping and she said it could be stress related, after all- I am a college student.

I've changed my eating habits, when I started getting the chest pain. And now I eat no fast food, almostno junk food, and veggies! But I have fear that maybe all that junk I ate as a teen might have built up and narrowed my arteries. I fear that the cause of my chest pains is not acid reflux ( the medicine didn't help..I'm off it now..) and that the skipping is not due to stress, but also..Possible heart disease. Is it possible for someone at my age, young, to have heart disease even after improving diet? I did get my cholesterol levels checked, and they turned out ok. Would that be able to tell if I have heart disease? Or, even if I eat healthy now, could I be at risk, because of not taking care of myself in the past?

I am very concered and if anyone has an answer to my question, it would help alot..And I would appreciate it greatly!

Thank u....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 20th, 2005
Experienced User
Same With Me!
I have the same problem but haven't gone to the Dr. Yet...I just started getting the symptoms not too long ago and each time I think I am having a heart attack. Do you have any other symptoms? I have chest pain all over, shoulder/back pain, hard time breathing, headaches, arm pain and hot flashes. Sorry I can't answer your question since I am in the same boat as you...I'm 20 and freaked out about my heart. Hopefully it's anxiety, which sucks too but in my opinion it's way better than actually having a fatal disease. I would say though that if your Dr. Didn't find anything wrong before you probably don't have it, since even though you ate junk you were probably way more active as a child to help out your heart, plus your heart should be much more resilient at a young age. If you're super worried though get everything checked once more. Even though i'm fairly sure mine is just the result of anxiety i'm going to get checked out so I can hopefully have a little peace of mind. I know it's scary, but hang in there, chances are you'll be fine. Hope it all works out for you!
|

replied April 12th, 2009
me too !!
i'm 18 years old and i've almost the same problems
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yes it can start at any age however it is not too late to change...restart by eating healthy, exercise on a regular basic and yearly checkups...
|

replied January 5th, 2010
i have the same symptoms and was the same way at a younger age, now have children so i cook and eat way healthier. I started having chest pains and headaches so they switched my birth control, and still i had the chest pains, headaches and now I'm nauseated with it and have a pain in my upper back...i want to get checked out for it, but am scared or nervous as to what i might find! i have a cousin that was exactly 10 years older than me and she past away at age 31 (last year) with a massive heart attack and my father at 48 died of a massive heart attack and blocked arteries 2 years ago so I'm kinda freaked out!
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....