Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

What Types of Meds For Cholestrol?

What different types of medication have people on this board been prescribed for high cholestrol?
I have been told to take crestor. But from the look of this board nobody else has heard of this medication.
What are the other types that people take?
Does anyone know if cholestrol medication is something you have to take forever or until you can get cholestrol under control? Thanks all!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper huffster
|

replied March 31st, 2006
Cholesterol Meds
I take lipitor...The lowest dose. I have had no negative symptoms and my total cholesterol readings have dropped to around 125, but my hdl readings have remained at 29 for several tests. The doctor seems satisfied but it bothers me that I still have the low hdl. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Btw: i'm 65 years old and retired...I also take the lowest dose of bp meds too. I'm not sure that is even necessary but I just do it because my doctor says to. I "never" have elevated readings but, of course, i'm always on meds.
|

replied May 8th, 2006
Re: What Types of Meds For Cholestrol?
Hypercholesterolemia is due to faulty lipid metabolism.

This is equally hazardous to health.You must try medicines containing garlic(herbs).Unlike atorvastatin 10 or 20 mg which is frequently used as cholesterol lowering agent,use of garlic is totally safe.
There are some medicines available in herbal form (ayurvedic having dried garlic,maka and arjuna as herbs which boosts lipid metabolism and are good for cardiac health.The amount of garlic should be 400-500 mg twicee a day.

Regards
dr.Pratik censored

dreamerinkw wrote:
what different types of medication have people on this board been prescribed for high cholestrol?
I have been told to take crestor. But from the look of this board nobody else has heard of this medication.

What are the other types that people take?

Does anyone know if cholestrol medication is something you have to take forever or until you can get cholestrol under control? Thanks all!
|

replied May 19th, 2006
I cut down to half a 10 mg of lipitor with equally good results. To raise hdl-quit smoking if applicable, increase aerobic excercise, have a little wine, lose weight, try an omega 3 supplement. Also avoid high quantities of zinc or vitamin e
|

replied June 8th, 2006
There are different medications for lowering cholestrol. These days hmg co a reductase inhibitors also called statins are main drugs used for treating hypercholestrolemia. These drugs mainly inhibit hmg co reductase enzyme which is rate limiting step in cholestrol synthesis. For how long these should be used. Better to consult your doctor. But as cholestrol level goes to desirable limits, these drugs are reduced in does or can be omitted. After that follow strict diet habits and exercise to keep cholestrol at lower limits.

Best of luck.

Dr armughan
|

replied December 9th, 2006
What Types of Meds For Cholestrol?
I had high cholesterol and especially high triglycerides and high bp after my by-pass surgery and my cardio md didn’t' t want to put me on drugs; but try diet and exercise. Especially eliminate sweets, trans fats and refined carbs. I called a friend of mine, a research chemist at e.I.Lilly for his help. He connected me with Dr.Zhu in china, who told me what to do and he also helped me bring my bp into normal range. Niacin was the original treatment for high c. But I have not gotten off all my drugs except aspirn and have never felt better. For 78, that's good! My Dr. Calls my cholesterol numbers “beautiful”. I now have my hdl above the scale and my bp is now around 118/67, same as the wife's. I watch my diet and exercise too. I have kept a log on this and will email you with a copy if you want.
My address is [email protected]
|

replied January 14th, 2007
Experienced User
I've posted this on a couple other forums, but it's important info. I apologize in advance if you've already seen this. Not trying to spam, just trying to get important info out to the public.

Here's the thing most people do not know. High cholesterol is not related to heart disease. About 50% of people dying from heart disease have "normal" levels of cholesterol. What you need to be concerned about are your homocysteine levels. You can get some good info at http://www.Homocysteine.Net/. But here's an analogy. Imagine your cholesterol is actually a yellow balloon. And let's say you take this balloon and rub it on your head to create static electricity. You may have done this as a kid. Then you take the balloon and stick it to the wall. Now imagine doing the same thing with several balloons and putting them around a door. Eventually it would be hard getting through the door. Same thing is happening inside your arteries. Cholesterol cells are getting charged up and sticking to the walls of your arteries until it gets to the point where it's difficult to get through.

And how does your cholesterol get "charged"? It becomes oxidized. A homocysteine test will check your level of oxidized cholesterol. Odds are you've never even heard of homocysteine. You can ask your doctor about this test, but he may not have heard about it either. The main reason is because there is no drug to lower homocysteine levels. However, if you take an anti-oxidant, this will cause the cells to loose their charge and, like our balloon, will fall off the wall.

I actually have a cd of a presentation given by a doctor who talks about this very thing. If you are interested in getting a copy, i'd be happy to send it to you at no charge. It's about 70min long and the presentation covers several aspects of supplementation with anti-oxidants. Send me an email with your address and i'll get it out to you. You'll learn some very interesting things.

Incidently, statin drugs are not worth the risk. I also have a short book written by the same doctor about 80 pages long which goes into the details. It includes several pages of documentated scientific studies comparing the effects of statin drugs and supplementation. I'd be happy to send this out free of charge as well.
|

replied June 25th, 2011
I am interested My name is Paula Glass my address is 1997 Brisk Way Cosby TN. 37722
|
Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....