Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Swelling - No Rhyme Or Reason (Page 1)

This is happening to my sister-in-law. She is 15 and for more than 2 years she has had occasional swelling on her face - eyes, mouth, etc. We have always related to stressful situations. She had an allergy test done - negative. Recently (past 2 months) she had had more swelling all over the body face, limbs, back, wrists, ankles. She is not overweight, but life has been more stressful for her. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone heard for anything like this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper alejandre1989
|

replied August 11th, 2003
Hi, I was just wondering if with her swelling there were any hives? I have had angioedemia urticaria since childhood, and it can be very painful, the swelling gets really bad on forehead, lips, chin, bridge of nose and eyes..Among other places too. I feel her pain literally. There are days I can not go to work due to looking like a cyclops. If you think it can be hive related i'll help as much as I can.

Holly
|

replied August 11th, 2003
Yes, everything that I have found out online has said that she is experiencing hives. This is the first time that she has gotten this bad. She recently started exercising at the gym and I read a few things about this being exercise or heat related. She is not swollen now but it took her about 48 hours for the swelling to go down. Please help by giving any advice. Thanks *also, I read that most people do not get hives on the palms of the hands or soles of the feet, but she has gotten swelling on her palms of her hands.
|

replied August 13th, 2003
As we speak my feet are swollen, sometimes just a few toes, but now and usually it is the balls of my feet. My palms do swell, along with fingers, I have never found a cure, nor has any doctor. As a child I was on prednisone (sp) and had all the scratch tests done, eleminated foods etc.. And still nothing. There is a shot out there I was given last week but it did nothing for me, I get totally covered in hives as well though. But the shot is supposed to be for the swelling called kenalog. Might help for her?! I am so sorry and will add her to my prayer list, it is very miserable and awful. Mine went away when I was about 15 and now at 28 it is back. I spent many days home from school. What I have is called angioedemia. It's the swelling. Best of luck, keep in touch, i'll dig up as much as I can for you all. God bless
holly
|
Users who thank hivegirl for this post: markhaverland 

replied August 13th, 2003
P.s.
I have always been told stress was and is a huge factor. When my Dr. Comes back next week I am going to request a presc. Of zanex. Not implying a 14 year old should be on that....But an anti-anxiety pill might help?!?
|

replied August 14th, 2003
Thanks so much for your information. Best of luck to you. Good luck with the zanex. My sister-in-law is also tring yoga for relaxation and she feels less stressed out. Next week she has another doctor appointment and if anything works, we will let you know. Im also finding out as much as possible about angioedemia. Thanks for everything
|

replied September 30th, 2003
Hives
How is your sister-in law doing? I have the same problem too. I just get the hives all over ,not that much swelling. I have been told it is related to stress. I think once you have it, it's hard to relax. You can be so depressed about the hives ,how can you stop being depressed. Yoga is a good way. I think she should get a mild anti-depressant. If they clear up you will know it is from stress.
Nancy
|

replied October 7th, 2003
Update On Linda ...
Well, my sister-in-law is still hetting hives but the swelling has pretty much stopped due to the fact that she started taking over the counter anti hystamines like clortrimeton-sp , she usually takes a 12 hour one either once or twice a day and always takes one if she feels that the hives are about to start. It helps alot but it is only helping with the symptoms.

The yoga also helps for relaxation - but like a lot of people, once she got the results she wanted (no swelling) she tends to slack off on the yoga Sad

- I do think that the antidepressants are a good idea too.

Thanks for the help
|

replied October 14th, 2003
Swelling
Hi! I've been experiencing swelling of my face, tonque, neck; also seems to come after stress. I've had some hives as well. So far all alergy tests have been negative. The tonque swelling is scarey. Can't figure this out!
I've not heard of angiodemia before. I just can't image stress making ones tonque swell!
|

replied October 17th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Oh my gosh I think I have hives. But from stress because I have been real stressed lately and my lip swelled up like real bad and I looked funny, and last night my hand was itching bad and I could feel like a bump on my hands and that swelled up too, I hate it but I didnt know it was hives.
|

replied October 17th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Has anyone here (with the rashes, swelling and negative allergy tests) thought that perhaps this could be caused by some *other* type of auto-immune response?

Just a thought...
Ladybrannon
|

replied October 30th, 2003
I get swelling in the tongue, lips and reddish swelling on my face and it is absolutely embarrasing and frustrating. I am such a different person when this is happening. I wish I knew the answer.
|

replied November 16th, 2003
Experienced User
My Really Short Reply!
Either she is in need to take some medicine,or she needs to get off somthing Wink
|

replied November 18th, 2003
It is cholinergic urticaria
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Angioedemia
Im 15 years of age, and I suffer from angioedemia/hives, mine are very painful, not only do I get them externally, but internally as well. Sad sometimes it hurts so much, and I feel so bad, I cant even move, all the tests that the doctors have given me, I have shown to be negitive. They cant figure out what is wrong, they suspect that it may have to do with a duffy a antigen, or duffy a antibody. But there is little you can find on the anitgen so its hard to do research. When I was in the whom the doctors didnt believe I would survive the birth because most babys didnt back then. The doctors have tried to find a blood imbalance, but nothing has shown up. I cant take advil, because that can make it worse, tylenol is the only thing that wont trigger a reaction. I also take singular,doxipen,and allegra. Doxipen is actually a antidepressent, but what some people dont know is it can reduce the occurence of hives or stop them all together. I wrote this so that other people in my possition can ask their doctor if these simptoms and medications can help them. Its dont wonders for me, and im happy I dont have to take over 15 pills a day like I once did.
|

replied April 6th, 2009
EyeSwell
Every month or two my eyes swell up so bad that I am unable to open them. The swelling usually lasts a few days (usually gone by the 3rd or 4th day). All allergy tests have come back negative and the doctors can't seem to figure out what causes the swelling.
I have been diagnosed with anxiety and have been taking anti-anxiety/antidepressants on and off for the past couple of years. Could anxiety really be causing the swelling?
|

replied August 11th, 2009
Re: Eyeswell

I've been highly stress prone since I was fourteen. Over time, symptoms of this stress have been anything from panic attacks, not being able to walk (or walking as if intoxicated), swelling in my arms/legs/face, and hives all over my hands and forearms. These symptoms sound terrible, and they are, but no doctor ever attributed them to stress, as all allergy tests came up negative.

I think it's very possible that your swelling is due to stress because I've recently arrived in a foreign country to study abroad, and what seems like my tonsils have begun swelling severely, but they recede when I am very calm. The swelling also coincides with flares in hives on my hands. It is because of this that I am very certain that swelling can be a side effect of stress. I think a lot of people don't realize that stress is strongly related to your mind, and therefore dismiss its highly variant and strange side effects. While shaking and perspiring, and heart palpitations are typical, they do not cover the very wide range of the possible physical side effects of stress.

Over the past few days, I have tried running, breathing deeply, and even visiting a church. The symptoms have gone down a bit.
|

replied September 14th, 2010
Thank you for all the information, Now I don't feel like the only one out there, My Swelling is Like all of the above, From the Bottom of my feel to my Jaw, I have swelled up everyplace possible I think.
I Believe it is Stress related, I have been to Allergist, Dermatologist and am going to be going to a rheumatologist next. I'll fill ya in on what he says.
|

replied September 18th, 2010
Ok, Just a couple day's to go before my Appointment, and the swelling has started up on both hips, my left index finger and under my left arm, the Hives hold a lot of heat in them and the itching is about to drive me crazy! but at least the doctor can see what they are first hand. I noticed this time they seem to be caused from pressure from my belt rubbing on my hips. But i'm not sure why the other ones have started.
i'll keep yall updated that are interested. wave
|

replied September 21st, 2010
Ok I went to the Doctor today, My swelling has taken a turn for the worst, My right arm Lat's Groin and Butt is swelling bad, the Rheumatologist and he had no clue, He took more Blood work to look for Lupus and I already had that checked. but I got a steroid shot and Med's to help with stress and Anxiety, I hope it works.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Arvind Malhotra
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Paul A. Andrews
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...