Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety, Nausea When Going Out... Please Help

I hope someone here can advise me, because i'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Since I have returned to college and work after the summer holidays, I have begun to experience intense feelings of sickness and lightheadedness when I venture out - usually on the way to college or work. I also find it hard to breathe properly and am scared of embarrassing myself in public and often have to find a place to sit down to try and compose myself.
I suffer from asthma and migraine and this has worsened both.
Thus I do not even want to leave the house and even thinking about it makes me feel ill.

I felt fine all summer. I've only been getting these symptoms since the return of a stressful schedule. I thought that as I got used to it, the episodes would die down in a couple of months.
They started to go away a bit but now they've started up again, just as I thought I was beginning to get better.

I usually feel ok once I have reached wherever I was going.
Just walking along the street is the worst time.

I really need help here, because i'm beginning to skip college and therefore have fallen behind with work because of it all.
I keep crying when i'm alone because I don't think i'm ever going to get over it. I'm beginning to break down.

I'm going to book an appointment with the doctor but i'm scared of actually travelling to the surgery in case I get another one of these episodes on the way.

Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
Contrary to popular beliefs anxiety attacks are usually caused by an overproduction of adrenaline which is a stress hormone.

This may be due to a hypoglycemic condition that can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet.

Please read:

beating anxiety

jurriaan plesman, ba (psych) post grad dip clin nutr
for more articles see
Hypoglycemia.Asn.Au
|

replied November 4th, 2005
Experienced User
Hello
Hi there,

it definately sounds like anxiety that you are suffering from and every one of your symptoms can be explained and are perfectly normal. I suffer from the lightheadedness and many other symptoms the best thing to do is ignore them ( easier said than done)!

If you want any more info or advice please feel free to contact me as I would like to help and you shouldn`t have to pay to get that help! Also medicines are not always the best approach to this kind of problem.

Debs
|

replied November 6th, 2005
Jurplesman - thank you, but your link seems to be broken

pinksalter - many thanks! I really need to talk to someone about this who is going through it as well.
|

replied November 7th, 2005
Experienced User
I have been in the same boat you are in. There were times when I would go out with friends and feel so lightheaded, I would have to hang on to something so I wouldn't fall. I've also actually gotten physically sick (vomitted) as a result of anxiety. My anxiety makes me lose my appetite. I'm on medication now and haven't had anything to that extent for years. But, I know exactly what you mean. It's the scariest feeling in the world. I'm here if you need to talk.
|

Hey there,

if you would of asked me a few years ago how to describe my symptoms I would of written it word for word what you just did.

I felt fine for my oh... Some 21 years of my life then all of sudden I felt dizzy, etc... I thought I may have developed vertigo. Anyways the good news is these are (in my opinion) classic anxiety symptoms, you are fine.

However, I recommend you go see your doctor, you'll often see/read that when you do develop these types of symptoms is to first rule out anything else, such thyroid gland problems, anemia, etc.. If anything else it'll give you piece of mind.

I know it might seem tough at times, I remember stopping myself from going out, thinking to myself "what if I pass out?, what if I make a fool of myself?", I know alot of people can relate. If I can suggest anything is don't completely stop doing anything, but don't jump right back in either, take your time, you might want to talk about it to close friends or family, you'll find that what you have is more common than you think. If you're an active individual, there's nothing better than getting some exercise in, even just a good brisk walk.

You can always contact me if needed.
|

Thank you for your replies everyone :)
knowing that i'm not alone and that the symptoms signify classic anxiety makes me feel a little better at least.

On the way to work today I began to feel the symptoms coming over me again, but I held my head high thinking "i will get through this" and managed to feel better after a few minutes of positive thinking.

If anyone wants to send me a pm sharing experiences that'd be great!

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Wish me luck!
|

replied November 8th, 2005
Experienced User
Quote:
finally managed to get the link to work. You typed it wrong - the 'h' in 'html' must not be capitalised.

the trouble is that I cannot get to write in bccode in this web site.

Most words that should be capitalized are not, and those that should be 'lower case' are capitalized at this site.

I cannot work out why this is so?

Jurriaan plesman, ba (psych) post grad dip clin nutr
|

replied November 10th, 2005
Ok so, the doctor put me on prozac after realising how awful this thing was making me feel.

Who's had experience with prozac?
|

Supporter
Prozac
Did he start you at a low dosage? I have been taking prozac for a long time and it is a wonder drug for me. Just make sure not to take too much. If you stop caring about anything and everything, the dose is too high. I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you the amount to take, but I take 20 mg and you should probably take less. The other side effect is that it might make you very tired. To combat that, I took it at night all these years before bedtime and never had any problems.

I think you will find the med helpful. Don't let anyone put you down for using prozac. All it is in simple language is a seratonin regulator which is a chemical in our bodies that helps how we feel. We all have seratonin. Some of us are just a little unbalanced. :) (really, no pun was intended there.) let us know how you do with the med.

Take care and god bless...
Carol
|

I've been put on 20mg a day too.

I'll take it at night as you suggested if there's a possibility it'll make me tired - I also take a med for my migraines which can also cause tiredness, so I take that at night too.

Apparently it's not too hard to come off prozac when needed unlike some anti-depressants, which is comforting at least.

I'll let you know how I get on :)
|

Supporter
Great! Remember to watch your mood. If you start to get like "i don't care," ask the doctor if you can reduce it to 10 mg. That happened to me at the beginning.

Also, don't just stop taking prozac. It should be weaned off but you can do it pretty quickly in just a few days of so.

Carol
|

Extremely eHealthy
This could be severe "society anxiety disorder". My daughter has it, but not so bad. Maybe look it up on internet!! Any severe type of anxiety makes it hard to breathe and if you have asthma already it will make ssymptoms worse when your anxious.

Good luck hon
|

replied March 10th, 2010
Feel nausea whenever going out or planning to go out too
hi,

ok, i know this was dated 5years ago, but i searched on google for this and this site came up, because everything you are saying i feel exactly that right now, the only thing i get is nausea though, i want to just stay at home and dont want to go out, it gets worse if i know im going somewhere far, but im absolutely fine when im actually there and kept occupied by whoever im with, i had check ups done 2months back because my nausea was not limited to just going out, i got it all the time even at home, so docs ran tests on me which came back all clear, thought it was an ulcer so gave me meds for that which didnt work, then they put me on cyclizine, which is used for travel sickness too and that helped me for some time until i finished the medication, and after that i did get better, but it is still pretty much there, but now only when im going somewhere, or even plan to go out somewhere with friends or whoever i feel nauseous, infact just the other day i was asked by a friend that we should meet up sometime and go somewhere and i instantly felt the wave of nausea set in, but politely responded that we should go somewhere, even though i know i will cancel if any plans do get made because i know how id feel just before, and maybe even when im there, so i dont really know what to do, i've even tried 'self-therapy' telling myself positive things but its really hard, hasnt done the trick, please help, any advice would be much greatly appreciated...Thank you.
|

replied April 20th, 2011
I have been feeling the same as you for about 9 months now, i have had severe anxiety, i have been put on all sorts of medications and after months of trying, still got worse. I was at my wits end, started thinking id rather not be here because i couldnt handle these feelings. I decided to go to a Naturopath and also an acupuncturist, i was given a natural herbal medication which i can come off without any side effects, and i get acupuncture once a fortnight, so far its the best thing i could have ever done. I have been feeling really great up until a week ago, now when i go out or even talk or make plans to go out im so crook i feel like vomitting i have to go to the toilet all the time etc...when i pick my kids up from school and childcare i cant wait to see them but im still so sick. It seems like every place i go each stop and destination i have to make im sick and have to re-adjust to being in that place, then its time to leave or go to the next destination and im sick again, this could happen several times per day. Im starting to not want to go out or even make plans to do anything so to avoid feeling anxious and sick. currently split up with Fiancee as it wreaked havoc on our relationship, living with parents till i get better. Am going to continue with the natural approaches to my Anxiety, as i dont trust Dr's as i feel its all too easy to just throw some meds at you and off you go, i want to understand why i have these problems and deal with them an a more natural level and then hopefuly deal with them all on my own. I dont want to be on meds the rest of my life, it makes my anxiety worse knowing i had to take them everyday. My mind is getting stronger and stronger and ive learnt how to be more positive and really believe i can get through this, I dont get sad anymore i get angry at the anxiety when it happens i am so damn sick of it, and getting angry at the anxiety helps me to get over an episode more quickly. I feel for everybody who has had or is having anxiety problems, i find it DEBILITATING, it holds me back from living my life. I know how hard it is but dont give up, keep fighting and get the help or treatment that you feel is right for you....we can beat this crap!!! xxx
|

replied April 15th, 2010
I''m so glad you''ve written this because it is identical to how I feel. I struggled when I was a child/teenager with this and then I seemed to grow out of it but now its back with avengance! I''m planning to see the doctor tomorrow to see if there is anything I can take to stop the nausea as its really getting me down. I really hope someone has an answer for us!
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Hi. I have exactly the same thing 2 years ago i had food poisoning and i vomited all night ever since then my stomach hasnt been the same. The doctors think its anxiety because i have a fear of vomiting. For 2 years now i have had a knot in my stomach and get nauseous often i never ever go out without my nausea pills and migrane pills if i do forget them i panick until i feel sick. My attacks have become more frequent, i start to feel nauseous and my whole body shakes i cant swallow properly and i feel dizzy. I am on prozac which does nothing the only thing that has helped during an attack is ativan which is a tranquilizer it calms me down so definitely recommed that! Im now going to start seeing a psychiatrist because this has taken over my whole life. I dont feel like my true self with this problem. If anyone comes up with a solution please tell me! Oh and i have been for every test possible so its definitely not an illness
|

replied April 20th, 2011
I know what you mean (its taken over ur life) it feels like its still you in there but your smothered by it, i feel like a prisoner within my body and mind and would love to be set free. Thoughts are with you Smile
|

replied June 24th, 2010
Hi all.

Its amazing when looking on the net to find this site and see that what I'm going through is 'normal' to a certain degree. I have been feeling all these symptoms for about 4 months now and I've really had a hard time. Went to doctors for all kinds of test and, as most of you, they couldn't find anything wrong.

Now what I would like to know, and I hope someone will be able to help me here, is if there are any over the counter drugs one can buy that might help with this problem. I've looked at the post and seen a few different drugs mentioned, but they all seem to be subscription only.

Please could someone advise if they know about an over the counter drug that might help.

Kind regards
Dex
|

replied March 10th, 2011
Well Im about 5 years late for this post. But Ive been struggling with anxiety for about 3 years now. It has taken its toll on me mentally. It was much worse when it first started, I actually passed out a packed subway on my way to work, from that day on I've never been the same person I was before, sadly.
About 2 years in they started going away and I felt a bit better, but now I can feel the anxiety coming back with vengeance. But it only happens on the subway, obviously my trigger, but the only way to get to and from work. Morning are worse and i feel very nauseous on the train, no matter what I do I feel as if I will throw up, which in turn triggers a rapid heartbeat and yada yada anxiety. Mind over matter my ass, im sick of people saying this...it does not work! Whats even worse is I do not have health insurance and cannot afford to see a doctor to get medication.
Anxiety has killed me emotionally as a person compared to whom I use to be, I am now extremely introverted and turning into a hermit, and I can see no light at the end of this tunnel. Ive done everything to exercise to changing my diet, but Im haunted daily by this damn anxiety. This God damn anxiety... Im glad to see prozac helps...and I hope one day to get on some medication. I want my life back!! Sad
|

replied March 10th, 2011
Experienced User
trust me your not along here i have posted lots of comments on here in the last 2 weeks or so.. yh when i had mine about 2 month ago now i went out on a night drinking woke up wid pains in my head and numbness .. whitch triggered a pannik attack and ever since that day iv been worse but now geting better ISH. feel ditached from the world asking your self y ?? feel dizzey a lot. struggle sleeping. its not at all good but this is constant for me i dont belive iots anxiety i think its something worse 2bh but after about 10 doctor trips i can see its anxiety but i dont do what i used to do anymore. ie go out having fun the most things drinking at weekends havinbg a good time . dont at all do it any more becuase i think it will mangle my head up.. but i darnt take a chance and try it. horrible.. but yh i am on medication and it does help a little bit. i take it your from USA ?? i get mine free atm but dont want to be on meds all ma life now way but i also can not see light its horrible,. do you feel like this yh ?
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
The best thing to remove anxiety without taking any drugs is meditation/Yoga or breathing exercise.
Keeping yourself busy with sporting activity, gym, swimming can also remove anxiety at great percentage.
Sweat often release natural anti-depressant chemical within ur body during sporting exercise. keep the habit of getting up early in the morning and sleep early.
Eat more crunchy vegetable and citric fruits.
Avoid eating junk food like burger, pizza , softdrinks etc.

The drugs will give you temporarily relief and often give u addiction when ever u have anxiety attack.
It certainly has got worse side effects and will tends to severe neurological problems.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...