Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Cervical Dysplasia Non-surgical Alternatives (Page 1)

Hi. I have just been diagnosed with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (cin1) (which I think is just another term for mild cervical dysplasia) after a pap smear.

I have read that several studies indicate, the development and progression of cervical dysplasia may be related to certain nutritional deficiencies, including folate, beta-carotene, and vitamins a & c. And i've heard a few stories from women who have taken nutritional supplements and this has helped the immune system get rid of the abnormal cells.

I would really prefer to try and let my body treat itself at this early stage, rather than having a possibly 'uneccessary' surgical procedure.

I am still waiting to see a gynecologist, so i'm not sure what he will reccommend for me yet, but I would love to hear anyone's advice or experiences.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jessilou11
|

replied November 7th, 2005
Experienced User
I read something ages ago about magnesuim supplement which is spose to be good and helps in some way but cannot not remember how. You could go to your local health shop and ask about that they tell you more than docotrs sometimes.
|

replied November 11th, 2005
Dysplasia Healing Holistically
Hi there, i've gone down the same route as you. My first pap was carcinoma in situ and the doctors wanted to do immediate leep surgery but I refused and started researching holistic & natural methods of treating this. I've read the same as you, that cin 1 can reverse itself on it's own also there is no medical proof that dysplasia will ever become cancerous. I spoke to a lady in america who healed herself of full blown cervical cancer by following the macrobiotic diet (vegan) and doing castor oil packs & garlic suppositories. Two subsequent paps came back at cin 1 but the doctor pressured me so much in the end I agreed & had the leep. It came back with unclear margins but the whole biopsy specimin was low grade. Because they had taken such a big biopsy they say that I now need a hysterectomy. I think that is such a drastic move for a low grade neoplasia that may never become cancer. So I told them I wanted 6 months to try & treat this holistically, they did not agree but I did it anyway. I've been vegan (apart from the cottage cheese part of the budwig diet) i've followed a macrobiotic diet & made daily juices of organic beet & carrot juice, I take folic acid, vitamin b, selenium & mega doses of vitamin c also I take spirulina, chlorella, kelp & alfalfa. When I went for my latest pap the nurse said, well you've tried the alternative stuff now if your pap comes back with dysplasia then you must go for the hysterectomy, I agreed but i'd already decided that if the pap is still low grade at cin 1 or 2 then i'll carry on with what i'm doing but my pap came back at cin 3! After all the natural healing & the diet (i've completely given up sugar but I have had the occasional red wine so maybe I just haven't followed it properly as alchohol is really bad for cancer & dysplasia) now they want to do the hysterectomy but i've refused again. I'm now doubting the truth of my pap result & thinking maybe they have just said it is cin 3 to get me to have the hyterectomy, maybe i'm being paranoid but something doesn't feel right about it, anyway i'm going to do the beta mannan for three months & then go to a private clinic for my next pap, if that is cin 3 then I suppose i'll have to go for the hysterectomy. But i've spoken to other people & the nutritional/vitamin approach has worked for them so definitely try it & put off surgery til the last minute. I've had dysplasia for 2 years now but it hasn't turned to cancer, I believe in nutrition as the way forward to prevent disease. I hope all goes well for you.
|

replied January 26th, 2006
Follow Up
I finally had my colposcopy. It was totally pain free for me. I couldn't even feel a thing. I did, however, faint afterwards. I just felt really dizzy when I stood up to get dressed, and then fainted. She said its not that common, but some women do faint. I have often fainted with needles and have a queasy stomach sometimes, so I guess its just me!

So, the gynecologist did another pap smear aswell as a biopsy. The results were: pap smear - cin1 and biopsy - cin2. So I am not very happy about the results.

She recommends I have the lletz procedure within the next month or two. I have said yes to this.

I have also made an appointment to see a naturopath to discuss my health and try to prevent the dysplaisa from progressing to a higher grade in the future.

Still keen to hear everyone's experiences and advice...
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied March 24th, 2006
Folate And Dysplasia
Folate has been suggested to be deficient in women with dysplasia.

This does not mean however that fixing your folate levels will always resolve the dysplasia. By all means increase your folate intake by eating green leavy vegetables but never skip a proper diagnosis.

Your doctors/nurse would never 'invent'a result. They have your best interest at heart.

If your dysplasia does not resolve, you have to stick with conventional treatment. This does not mean you cannot keep up with the alternative treatment at the same time; just do not let it make you doubt your diagnosis.
|

replied October 14th, 2006
Its Happened Again...
Hi everyone, I didn't realise how long since I posted, sorry!

I had my leep (called lletz in australia - large loop excision of the transformation zone) in march 2006. I had a general anestheic, so I was in hospital for the good part of a day. Everything went well, I had no pain or even discomfort and very little bleeding afterwards.

Six months later, however, I have just had my follow up colposcopy and biopsy, which have resulted in cin2 again. I am quite upset - more than the first time. The first time, I was upset, but thought once it was treated, i'd be fine. Now I realise I could be going through this time and time again, so i'm devasted. I also realise the more procedures I have, the less likely I am to have a 'normal' pregnancy, and I haven't had any kids yet.

Has anyone had kids or is anyone pregnant after having one or more leeps or cones etc?

I am on a waiting list for another leep within 3 months. I have also seen a naturopath who has put me on the below herbs and supplements to help boost my immune system and better my general health.

Mediherb methyl factors 1 tablet twice a day: each tablet contains 6.25g camellia sinesis, 300mg choline bitartrate, 50mg pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), 800mcg cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12), 500mcg folic acid.

Metagenics zinc drink 2ml in 200ml of water twice a day: each 1ml contains 50mg zinc sulfate, 11.3mg equiv elemental zinc, 20.8mg magnesium cloride, 2.5mg equiv elemental magnesium, 2.5mg pyridoxine hydrochloride.

Chinese herbs 8ml in water or juice twice a day: catsclaw, astragalus, st. Mary's thistle, red clover. Yellow dock.
|

replied February 27th, 2008
read my blog about how I reversed cervical dysplasia
|

replied July 25th, 2008
detox patchas
i don't' know may be it's a coincidence but since I've been using DETOX PATCHES my cervical dysplasia has disappeared.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
dhea helped me
i've tried betamannan it didn't help much, was taking vitamins, no vain I took DHEA and pregnenolone for depression, and my cervival displasia was gone then i read online that dhea helps to treat cervical dyspasia
|

replied March 7th, 2009
I've since had a normal pregnancy
Hi there,
Someone asked if anyone has had a normal pregnancy since having the loop incision. I had CIN2 cells removed about 5 years ago through the loop incision procedure. I now have a beautiful 13 month old boy. My pregnancy was completely normal with no complications and I was able to give birth naturally with no interventions.
My personal opinion is that cervical dysplasia (and many other disorders involved with the female reproductive system) stems from emotional blocks. Many people try and fail with dietary supplements and herbal interventions, but unless they get to the root of the imbalance, these issues will persist.
I've had 3 pap smears since my procedure that have all been completely normal. I believe this is a result of me clearing some unresolved issues steming from my child hood.
Good luck everyone!
|

replied August 7th, 2009
You can heal yourself - just believe it!!
Hello

Six months ago I was diagnosed with CIN III and had a colposcopy. At the time I was trying for a baby and didn't want to have any medical interventions so decided to try to heal naturally. I went to a naturopath and also my counsellor, I treated the emotional cause and physical causes. Physically my immune system needed boosting and I took "five mushrooms - chinese herb" and lots of zinc, folic acid, B12 and 6. Cut out alcohol and had a juice most mornings (carrot, ginger, apple, beetroot, lemon). Cutting out sugar as much as possible is vital, although I have a slight penchant so wasn't completely strict with this. I also did hypnosis cd each night by Rick Collingwood - healing body and mind. I've read that cervical dysplasia is brought on by a feeling of helplessness. I delved in emotionally to why I created this problem and think I resolved that.

Yesterday I had a follow-up colposcopy after six months of my healing mission and the doctor said there is nothing there - I just about fell off the bed!! Although I had belief that I could beat it - it was still amazing to hear I had!! It just shows how much determination and committment can actually have a fantastic result. By the way I'm 33 years old and my doctor was very pessimistic with this regressing because of my "old age".

I hope that everyone will give natural therapy a go first, before just opting for medical intervention. The body is wise, and can heal itself - if you allow it.

With light, Claire
|

replied November 19th, 2009
I will heal myself!
I am so glad to have found this site and many others like it.

My pap test 6 months ago revealed LSIL and my doctor said lets watch it for a few months quit smoking and come back. So...i quit smoking for about a MONTH..thought "that should do it" I had no real information and just assumed it would clear. Few months down the road i had another pap...2 weeks later the secretary at the docs office calls and says "you have an appointment at the hospital to see dr. xyz at 5am please arrive 10 mins early and make sure ure not on your period.

WHAT THE HELL? No call from my doctor indicating to me whats going on...NOTHING. I was really sad and depressed didnt kno what to do..so i started researching. LONG STORY SHORT. I am taking a vitamin b complex, vit C, a chinese mushroom supplement, I eat Cabbage and Kale and carrots, and LOTS of greens and lots of fruit every single day. I am going to join a yoga class and make use of my dusty old treadmill in the evenings. I will fight this naturally
|

replied September 24th, 2010
What is the truth?
Just a thought for everyone. Why for so many decades there has been so little info about HPV and cervical Dysplasia but now all of a sudden just about every woman out there has a case? Not only that but also the push for invasive like LEP procedures? We are told it is a sexually transmitted disease which if not treated will lead to a horribly invasive cancer which will kill. So SHAME and DEATH. And adding to it all why is there a vaccine for women under 26, but not women over 26? I would say most women get sexually active and have most sexual partners between ages of 18- 25. Does this make sense to anybody? Or is the reason because we can pay out of our pockets for the procedure? Because we are told HPV happens to us because of our promiscuity so we are SHAMED. SHAME on doctors who are in cahoots with the PHARMACEUTICALS,emptying pockets of embarrassed women. Time to ask questions, get 2nd, 3rd , 4th opinions, ask until the facts come out and there is a solid explanation and proof.
|

replied November 10th, 2010
I have had 2 LEEPs now. They want me to have a third!
I tried natural methods after my 1st LEEP (including herbal vaginal suppositories) and the results showed the cells were normal after 6 months. Unfortunately, the abnormal cells came back again. So, I had the 2nd leep and they are back again!!
I really think it has to do with stress levels affecting the immune system. So, if that means getting more vitamins to boost your immune system do it! But, if you continue to stress out, your body will not absorb them. You really have to consider this from the whole body/mind approach.
I am going to a counselor now too, to clear emotional blocks or behavior patterns that may be leading to the reoccuring abnormal cells.
I am angered by the medical profession's lack of finding a cure for this or having a non-surgical option at least! I think it really needs attention and we need to explore all our options for healing instead of just do what they tell us. Especially if we are in our childbearing years!!
Good luck to everyone and be strong : )
|

replied January 8th, 2011
EStrogen is bad
I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia about 6 weeks ago. My doctor did not tell me what grade/stage the dysplasia was. He wanted me to have the LEEP procedure done immediately. I refused and told him that I want to be given the chance to fix this naturally. He baulked at this reply but said that he would give me three months and to ocme back then for another PAP and we would go from there. I am now taking Biogetica's Deliverance from cervical dysplasia, pre-natal vitamins with minerals and 5,000 mcg of folic acid, vitamins C, D, A, and E, along with mushroom complex, Indol-3-Carbinol, Probiotics, and natural progesterone cream. I have also stopped taking the birth control pill because numerous studies that I have read say that synthetic estrogen is a HUGE factor in causing cervical dysplasia and ultimately cancer. Doctors, big pharma, and the government would like everyone to believe that HPV is the main cause of cervical dysplasia but it is not. Estrogen dominance is also a HUGE cause. We need to aviod xenoestrogens at all costs in order to beat cervical dysplasia. Estrogens basically block folic acid and we need folic acid to have a healthy reproductive system. In order to do this we need to neutralize the estrogen in our bodies with progesterone. It cannot be synthetic progesterone. It has to be natural in order to work. I am going back to my doctor at the end of April, 2011 to get another PAP. I will then inform of my results. The way that I see it is that we need to make the natural healing methods that we are using a way of life basically forever. We are obviosly deficient in vitamins and nutrients and have to keep them at optimal levels in order the stay healthy forever. Love, Light, and health, Meghan
|

replied March 1st, 2011
I was diagnosed with High grade CIN 3/carninoma in situ 2 years after a completely healthy pap. My doc pressured me to get a LEEP. I researched it on my own and decided that I am young, healthy, not a smoker and I can make some good improvements on my diet/lifestyle. In addition I went to a wonderful naturopath. I started taking 5mg Folic Acid (very high dose) and B vits, Vit E, Selenium, Beta Carotene, pro biotics, and a whole bunch of daily herbal teas (dandelion root, cats claw, astragalus, licorice root, nettles, red clover, calendula) as well as vitex tincture and natural Progesterone cream to help w/ estrogen regulation. I started excercising more and practicing yoga daily. I did castor oil packs every night and drastically reduced the alcohol and caffiene intake. Sooooo....about 6 months later I went back to my doc and got another colposcopy. She was very uncomfortable with my taking my health into my own hands (I hate how they say "they" will give you such and such time.....it is MY body, my reply is I will give MYSELF this much time and take responsibility!) the results came back with some CIN2 and some CIN1. So even though it was a small step....it was a step in the right direction. I also started seeing a new doc who agreed (or at least respected and understood) with my decision to wait and watch carefully. She told me that the protocol when it comes to cervical dysplasia is to push LEEPs right away because so many women will just not come back to have follow up paps because of fear. I am not that kind of woman. So I have another colposcopy scheduled for this month, we shall see how it goes! Don't let docs push you around! It is your body, do what feels right. Make INFORMED decisions! <3
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2011
The pill is behind of this
Hi girls,

I am going for my second pap next month. In October last year my first pap showed CIN2. I had a conisation that went fast and wasn't really painful. Now that the day of the second pap is approaching I am starting to wonder if I did wrong listening to the doctor. I thought I could heal myself and he was almost laughing at me when I proposed him that. Another thing I didn't like is when I asked him if the birth control pills could be responsible of my cervical dysplasia. He said "certainly not" is no possible. And I did believe him so all this time I have been on the pill not even hesitating. But now that I am reading more about the subject I did discover that the pill is a HUGE factor in this. How he could lie in that way? So I throwed the pill to the bin and I am really hoping all these months on the pill didn't make the problem worse. Girls, they are lying to us, the pill is making this problem worse and nobody want to say that.

I would like to know how many of you who got cervical dysplasia were on the pill before. It would be very useful for me to know.

Thanks and good health to everyone
Emma
|

replied November 4th, 2011
alternative to LEEP
I would like to share my experience. my biopsy showed CIN2 and probably 3. I looked at alternative treatments and took vitamin C 1000 tablets and aloe vera gel in capsule 1000. I had so much pressure in having the leep that I ended up having it a month and a half after the biopsy. The problem is that I should not have had it because they could not find any CIN in what they took away. I had healed from CIN 2, probably 3 in 1 month and a half. I have a generally healthy diet, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't drink coffee. But I have been on contraceptive pill for ages and I am wondering too if it is not a factor which triggered CIN at the first place.
|

replied March 24th, 2012
All of you who have been treating yourselves with natural or alternative methods, thank you for posting the specific regimens you're following. It's been great to find this thread and read about women who are practicing some healthy skepticism and taking responsibility for their own choices.

I'm going to find out my ECC results on Monday, but so far my story is 1st abnormal pap 2 months ago, HGSIL, Colposcopy showed one "suspicious" area (a polyp) which was removed and biopsied and came back CIN2. My doctor feels strongly I should have the LEEP procedure done, solely on the basis of the unsatisfactory colposcopy; in other words, even if the ECC comes back negative and I have negative pap smears from now on, and even though the only abnormality he saw was the polyp which has been removed, he still wants to do the LEEP just because he can't see the transformation zone on my cervix. And I really don't like that idea. I just don't like the idea of pieces of my cervix being cut out without laboratory evidence of a good reason for it. And, no way am I ever going to have a hysterectomy, sorry, that's not on the table for discussion.

But what I will do, aside from watching and waiting and going for regular pap tests, is treat my dysplasia with nutritional supplements, Chinese medicine, better diet, lowering stress, etc. So it is reassuring and refreshing to see that others are making similar choices, and being able to learn what kinds of things may be beneficial to try.

Thanks again, to all of you!
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
DIM worked for me!
I had CIN I in 2009 at age 24. My doctor said to come back in a year, that because I was a nonsmoker and healthy it should go away on its own. Never mentioned that I could start taking folic acid, vitamin C, or beta carotene to help its clearance. I went back in 2010, had another colposcopy and it had progressed to CIN II/III so they recommended LEEP. I read about LEEP and did not want to do it because I have never had children and did not want to experience complications in the future. I also know it takes a long time for it to progress to cancer. So I did more research. I had been taking oral contraceptives for about 4 years. I stopped taking them and started using condoms. I also got fitted for a cervical cap and mixed some liquid beta carotene with green tea extract and applied it to my cervix once or twice a week for 8 weeks. I purchased Source Naturals DIM (diindolylmethane) from amazon.com and took 400 mg per day every day. I saw a local naturopath who recommended I take 5 mg folic acid in a liquid form 2x per day along with 4,000-6,000 mg Vitamin C daily, as well as a beta carotene supplement twice a day. I followed this routine for 6 months and requested a follow-up pap. It came out normal! Now it has been 1.5 years and I have had normal pap results ever since. If you try this and it does not work after a year, instead of having LEEP, I would highly recommend finding a doctor who offers laser excision as it is more precise in removing abnormal cells and preserves more of your healthy tissue, minimizing reproductive complications. I also would like to mention I have a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics---do not underestimate the power of micronutrients!
|