Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Cervical Dysplasia Non-surgical Alternatives

Hi. I have just been diagnosed with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (cin1) (which I think is just another term for mild cervical dysplasia) after a pap smear.

I have read that several studies indicate, the development and progression of cervical dysplasia may be related to certain nutritional deficiencies, including folate, beta-carotene, and vitamins a & c. And i've heard a few stories from women who have taken nutritional supplements and this has helped the immune system get rid of the abnormal cells.

I would really prefer to try and let my body treat itself at this early stage, rather than having a possibly 'uneccessary' surgical procedure.

I am still waiting to see a gynecologist, so i'm not sure what he will reccommend for me yet, but I would love to hear anyone's advice or experiences.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2006
Dysplasia
I too was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia. I had moderate dysplasia. There is mild, moderate and severe dysplasia before it turns into cancer. All cervical dysplasia and cancer is caused by the virus hpv. There are over 100s of different strains of this virus. Some are low risk that cause warts and some are high risk that cause pre-cancerous cells to form. It is very true that vitamins can aid your immune system in getting rid of the virus. In most women, the body clears itself of hpv in about 2 yrs. I decided to have laser surgery to have the abnormal cells removed because I did not want to take any chances. The procedure was non invasive and I went home right away. I have never had surgery before that and I was really nervous but it was a really easy thing and I healed very quickly. Since then my paps have been normal. I definately believe that vitamins are a must for women with hpv. I take centrum, vitamin c, and folic acid daily. The choice is up to you if you will have surgery or not but I think that if you have moderate to severe dysplasia, don't take any chances with your body. I hope all goes well for you and don't forget to take your vitamins!
|

replied January 26th, 2006
Follow Up
I finally had my colposcopy. It was totally pain free for me. I couldn't even feel a thing. I did, however, faint afterwards. I just felt really dizzy when I stood up to get dressed, and then fainted. She said its not that common, but some women do faint. I have often fainted with needles and have a queasy stomach sometimes, so I guess its just me!

So, the gynecologist did another pap smear aswell as a biopsy. The results were: pap smear - cin1 and biopsy - cin2. So I am not very happy about the results.

She recommends I have the lletz procedure within the next month or two. I have said yes to this.

I have also made an appointment to see a naturopath to discuss my health and try to prevent the dysplaisa from progressing to a higher grade in the future.

Still keen to hear everyone's experiences and advice...
|

replied October 14th, 2006
It Happened Again...
Hi everyone, I didn't realise how long since I posted, sorry!

I had my leep (called lletz in australia - large loop excision of the transformation zone) in march 2006. I had a general anestheic, so I was in hospital for the good part of a day. Everything went well, I had no pain or even discomfort and very little bleeding afterwards.

Six months later, however, I have just had my follow up colposcopy and biopsy, which have resulted in cin2 again. I am quite upset - more than the first time. The first time, I was upset, but thought once it was treated, i'd be fine. Now I realise I could be going through this time and time again, so i'm devasted. I also realise the more procedures I have, the less likely I am to have a 'normal' pregnancy, and I haven't had any kids yet.

Has anyone had kids or is anyone pregnant after having one or more leeps or cones etc?

I am on a waiting list for another leep within 3 months. I have also seen a naturopath who has put me on the below herbs and supplements to help boost my immune system and better my general health.

Mediherb methyl factors 1 tablet twice a day: each tablet contains 6.25g camellia sinesis, 300mg choline bitartrate, 50mg pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), 800mcg cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12), 500mcg folic acid.

Metagenics zinc drink 2ml in 200ml of water twice a day: each 1ml contains 50mg zinc sulfate, 11.3mg equiv elemental zinc, 20.8mg magnesium cloride, 2.5mg equiv elemental magnesium, 2.5mg pyridoxine hydrochloride.

Chinese herbs 8ml in water or juice twice a day: catsclaw, astragalus, st. Mary's thistle, red clover. Yellow dock.
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Hi I know it's a long while ago I've just read your post and it sounds the same as what I am going through now. Have u had any children and how did it affect you? Also I've not been recommended vitamins do you think that it worked for you? How did your second treatment go?
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....