I was gonna try to put this topic under the baby shower catagory but not many people respond there and I need some help ladies.

I am still a ways away from my bundle arriving but I need some ideas on how to do this whole baby shower thing.
So if you ladies could shed some light or maybe even share your ideas or what you did for your baby shower, that will help out so very much.

What food did you eat? What games did you play? Etc.....

So share your baby shower stories and ideas....
Thanks fellow mommies.

Sheena
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 5th, 2005
Experienced User
Is anyone going to help you? Usually someone throws a baby shower for mama (like your mom or best friend or sister)

but if you're doing your own...

Invite all of your friends, family, daddy's family (if you can stand them), and co-workers. You register at the baby store (or stores) before you send out the invitations. And when you send them out, give atleast 3-4 wks notice so everyone can shop. You gotta note where you've registered at so they can go and get what you need. Registering is really important, because other wise you might get a lot of doubles in gifts. (like two bath tubs, etc etc)

if you want to play games, there's tons of them online that you can get ideas from. A common one is the toilet paper game. When everyone tears strips of toilet paper to guess how many it takes to go around your tummy.

Most baby showers are held during the day, so if you're not into serving a meal, have the shower after noon. Serve finger foods and refreshments. Baby showers aren't really for eating anyway. Unless ofcourse you want it to! Lol

i served o'duervs (sp?) like fresh fruit, cheese, crackers, all sorts of juices, and cake.

They last usually about 2 hours, and most showers aren't for kids or men.

It's really for you to be able to meet with everyone close to you for the last time before baby comes. Then again... A lot of mommies have baby showers after baby as well.

Either way it's your deal, make it what ever you like :)
|

replied October 5th, 2005
Experienced User
Thank you so very much for the break down. I think you nailed everything. Lol.
Im gald @least one person was able to help me out.

This is oing to be a mutual effort...Im hoping all goes well. I mean I get along with his family for the most part but right now his mom is acting really odd. She gives me that fake smile like she blames me for this. Maybe im just paranoid!

Anyway, I still would love for her to be involved...Id hate for the edges to get rough between us. I know it would mean alot to him if his mom was involved. She hasnt really made an effort ever since we gave her the news. But maybe thats just her way.

Anyway, back to the real point of this .... I really appreciate you responding back to me.

Hopefully more moms will follow in your footsteps.

Thanks again...

Sheena
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2005
Community Volunteer
Hee hee I had 2 showers, one with my family and friends and one with my bf's family. At mine we had all my favorite foods, fried chicken, oysters, shrimp, just a weird array of food. At my bf's family one, we had finger food, sandwiches, chips, cake. We didn't play any games at my fam's one cause we said--nah but at my bf's fam one we did. People had to guess the weight, birthday etc... (my bf's cousin won a huge gift basket once my son was born) but like bugz said, there are tons of ideas on the web! Good luck and have fun. Have your shower early enough too that you have time to go through everything and get it all ready for the baby. Washing all the new clothes and setting up the things that need to be put together (crib, stroller, changing table, etc....) I had one at 32 weeks and one at 34 weeks!
|

Experienced User
lil_blaze2004 wrote:
hee hee I had 2 showers, one with my family and friends and one with my bf's family. At mine we had all my favorite foods, fried chicken, oysters, shrimp, just a weird array of food. At my bf's family one, we had finger food, sandwiches, chips, cake. We didn't play any games at my fam's one cause we said--nah but at my bf's fam one we did. People had to guess the weight, birthday etc... (my bf's cousin won a huge gift basket once my son was born) but like bugz said, there are tons of ideas on the web! Good luck and have fun. Have your shower early enough too that you have time to go through everything and get it all ready for the baby. Washing all the new clothes and setting up the things that need to be put together (crib, stroller, changing table, etc....) I had one at 32 weeks and one at 34 weeks!

o0oh blaze!!! I wish I could have gone to your baby shower lol
|

Extremely eHealthy
For my wedding my sister and I had a baby /bridal shower (she is pregnant I am not ) well instead of playing abunch of games we made scrap book pages for our future scrap books. The girl who hosted the shower brought all the supplies and put them all out on a table and then during dinner the girls all made us up a page. I absolutly love my scrap book now and it means so much to have all the women in my life who I love to have played a part in it. It was really special and we had so much fun doing it together and giving each other ideas.

Just thought that id put that out there because I had never seen that done that before my shower
|

Experienced User
That's a really cool idea vanessa! Did everyone bring pictures and stuff?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah they had a big basket where people could look through and go crazy. But a lot of people just decorated the page with no pictures, just places to insert them later on. It was amazing how different each page looked. My book turned out great and I didnt have to worry about putting one together later on.
I just hate playing the same old games and found that this was something useful to my sister and I both later on.
|

Experienced User
Wow. Ive enjoyed hearing all about your stories and ideas...Hopefully more will join in on our chat.

I thought about having all the food iv been craving. But boy would that buffet table look funny. Lol

i love the idea of the scrap book pages. I am planning on having two baby showers as well. One before and one after, the one before is for all my friends and little family I have here. The second will be in brownsville where the most of my family is.
Hopefully I can find ideas to entertain 20 or more people lol

keep those stories comin ladies....
|

Experienced User
Right now chicken wings sound good.

...With ranch sauce ;o
|

Experienced User
This saturday I am having a baby shower. All we are doing is eating food and drinking beer or pop or whatever people want. The guys are coming, like my boyfriend and his dad and his brother in law and my grandpa....Close people like that...I decided not to have any games because most of them sound really boring and the last baby shower I went to all we did was sit around and eat and talk and do whatever and there were lots of guys and kids there.
|

Experienced User
rae_06 wrote:
this saturday I am having a baby shower. All we are doing is eating food and drinking beer or pop or whatever people want. The guys are coming, like my boyfriend and his dad and his brother in law and my grandpa....Close people like that...I decided not to have any games because most of them sound really boring and the last baby shower I went to all we did was sit around and eat and talk and do whatever and there were lots of guys and kids there.

i think that's cool :) are you going to register anywhere? Wusup with the gifts?! Keep us posted :d
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...