Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Natural Cures For Depression

Many dont realize, but there are several natural cures for depression.

Herbal remedies for depression:

-2 parts st-john's-wart (hypericum perforatum)

-1 part oat (avena sativa)

-1 part lavender (lavandula officinalis)

-1 part mugwort (artemisia vulgaris)

take this mixture in 5ml servings three times a day.

Edit
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 12th, 2005
I think it is good to try out alternative medicinces but be careful what you tell people because a) nothing straight out cures depression, there is no miracle drug/cure and b)st john's wort can screw you up if you're on some anti depressant medications. Mine included.
|

replied November 19th, 2005
Same worked extremely well for me, too; but 5-htp didn't. I didn't try st. John's wort because it takes 4 to 6 weeks to show an effect, and I didn't want to wait that long. You do have to be careful about drug interactions with herbs (but of course also drug-to-drug interactions).

I believe that there is something in the natural arena out there that works for everyone, but you do have to experiment and put together your truly personal program. Mine also includes omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil. It's especially important that the omega-3s be from fish oil if you have any heritage of coastal people -- I happen to have some scandinavian in mine -- because some people in those groups lack the capacity to convert plant-based omega-3s (e.G., from flax oil or walnuts) to a form the body can use. I also get lots of natural light (vitamin d in higher doses (>400 mg) is proven to help with depression), and some exercise.

Sorry about the length of this post, but there is one more point I have to make: just becoming "undepressed" isn't enough -- you have to learn how to be happy once you are no longer depressed (simply being undepressed is definitely not the same as being happy). That's where a whole number of potential emotional/cognitive approaches come in. The modern approaches are much faster than convetional therapy (which in my opinion is close to pointless for anything but short-term problems). If you're interested in those approaches, let me know, I didn't want to get overly long here.
|
Users who thank smvr for this post: UnOccupied 

replied November 20th, 2007
St.johns Wort How?
Hi! I am trying to start curing my depression (which I just found out I have although I have probably had it for years) with natural remedies. The info provided in this thread is very relevant to me because I am a coastal person myself and also lack sun exposure for I moved to a cold climate state, etc. I also have psoriasis which interesting worsens with the lack of sun and in the winter months. Upon research I have found I probably need seriously to clean my liver and to detox and totally change how I eat.
How do I get the St. John's wart. I went to my herbs store and the herbalist prepared a tea mix for me but I think I need more of a powerful dose? The recipe listed here, would my herbalist make it for me in capsules, or do you recommend for me to purchase the herb and prepare it myself? Also, I found on a site St. Johns wort extract in capsules guaranteeing 0.3% of Hypericin- which is said to be the agent mainly responsible for curing depression? My thoughts are scattered and hard to read but any help is greatly appreciated.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I'd suggest that you start in small doses and then build. Where do you live? what do you mean by herb store? What about a natural foods store? Maybe there's a nutritionist or expert you can consult there.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
.... is it safe to eat lavender??

I wouldn't concoct anything on my own, always consult with an expert or you may end up making something dangerous. [removed by admin], nutritionists, herbalists, all are good resources for natural rememdies.

IF you EVER are on prescription medications of any kind, don't take any natural rememdies until you check with a doctor or pharmacist first.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
The best natural remedy of all...exercise.
|

replied February 3rd, 2008
Natural Depression Treatments That Have Worked For Me
I had bad experiences on elavil and celexa. I did not want to go through either again - plus, I had awful hair loss, (as a woman - no fun) and just did not want to risk it. In addition to 20 min exercise per day WITHOUT fail and yoga, meditation, I've found a natural supplement that has worked for me. I was researching amino acids as a treatment for depression and came across a supplement that has worked for people with depression called Max Amino 1200

It's very inexpensive - and it takes the edge off of my depression very effectively along with my exercise. No bad side effects. I've even lost some weight and sleep better. I hope this helps someone. Depression really stinks.
|

replied February 8th, 2008
currently off med
I've been medicated at least 5 years, but currently off trying to get pregnant again, it helps if you can't do it alone, and I still go to counseling that helps talking it out, finding ways to rethink how you think and see things, it all gives you a clarity you don't have in deep depression. But for now, getting out, walking outside, with my baby and walking my dog even for half an hour a day really helps, its not vigorous excercise, but still gets you out and going, which for me is alot when I still have days I can hardly get out of the bed. For me stjohns did not work or anything over the counter even for sleep aids for insomnia, yes excercise is a huge factor to help, and I believe a really well balanced diet, heard omega 3 ( fishoil) will do wonders. I haven't tried that supplement yet, but I never felt better than when i was on my pregnancy diet, not really a diet but healthy eating. So go out, get some sun go for a walk or jog at least 30 min a day if you can, and eat as healthy as you can, okay to splurge a little every now and then though if it will help you feel better.
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
depression
depression is not a scientifically measurable disorder, it is simply a low energy level which can be caused by so many factors that to claim that any substance or mix can cure it is absurd.

you have to look at the underlying causes that are causing you to feel depressed in the first place, and resolve them, otherwise whatever solution you chose will eventually become another layer which is only masking the things that bring you down in the first place.

Best wishes to all!
Daniel
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Natural treatments for Depression
I have really found it helpful to turn on the radio to upbeat music and sing along. It is very hard to feel bad when you are singing a happy song. It seems simple, but it really lifts your spirits. Even if it is only momentarily, use it as a treatment whenever you feel the blues really coming on strong.

|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Re: depression
danielv wrote:
depression is not a scientifically measurable disorder, it is simply a low energy level which can be caused by so many factors that to claim that any substance or mix can cure it is absurd.

you have to look at the underlying causes that are causing you to feel depressed in the first place, and resolve them, otherwise whatever solution you chose will eventually become another layer which is only masking the things that bring you down in the first place.

Best wishes to all!
Daniel

Actually, it's not just low energy. Low energy can be solved the way you described, depression can't be solved so easily. It's a complex combination of emotional, neurological, and physical causes. Some people do really well on drugs, others don't.
|

replied March 24th, 2008
Home Remedies for depression
* Take a long warm bath, add a few drops of jasmine oil to the water and lie in it for 30-40 minutes. Close your eyes and relax.
* Drink Melissa tea when you are feeling down.
* Drink warm chamomile tea to relax your mind and feel better.
* Put lavender oil in a burner to make the room full of its scent, this will make you feel more uplifted.
* Eat oatmeal daily to make you feel better.
* Exercise daily to prevent depression.
* Slice apples into small pieces, add 1 table tablespoon of honey and eat daily to get your mood uplifted.
* Drink warm mint tea, take small sips and try to relax.
* Treat depression with rosemary tea: Boil 1 cup of water, add a few rosemary leaves, stir well, and let it stand and cool for a few minutes. Then drink a cup of tea. You can also add sugar or honey to the tea to make it sweeter.
* Eat spinach when you feel down.
|

replied August 26th, 2013
Depression is a state of mind which is caused because they may feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, helpless, guilty, irritable, hurt or restless. Essential oil is nature’s gift to mankind. Using essential oil will help you relieve from depression and balance your emotions. The three main essential oils which will help you boost your mood are jasmine, lavender and Neroli. Its fragrance is incredibly relaxing and will boost your confidence. One may take an aromatic bath or an aromatherapy massage with essential oil every day. (useessentialoil.com/category/emotional-he aling/)This blog will help with the method of preparation of essential oils for aromatherapy.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 18th, 2018
Hi,

Great post.Here are some natural ways to cure depression:-

1. Do exercise regularly
2. eat healthy diet
3. Get enough sleep
4. Take on responsibilities
5. Challenge negative thoughts
6. Try something new
7. Try to have fun with friends or family

Thanks!!
|

replied February 26th, 2018
Experienced User
Eat healthy: There is no magic diet that fixes depression. It's a good idea to watch what you eat, though. If depression tends to make you overeat, getting in control of your eating will help you feel better.
|

replied April 10th, 2018
Experienced User
Depression is a mood disorder characterized by persistently low mood and a feeling of sadness and loss of interest. Herbal depression treatment promotes healthy dopamine and norepinephrine levels. These are neurotransmitters involved in the manifest of healthy dispositions and sleeping patterns, as well as feelings of well being.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....