Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Low Fat, Low Carb, High Protein Diet

My daughter is very overweight. She is 95kg's and big. She is miserable as she is only 22 years old and battles to find clothes to fit her, and then gets depressed. I desperately want to help. I was wondering about the low car, low fat, high protein diet. Does anyone knowm where I can get a diet like this for her to try. I will be mopnitoring her closely.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 26th, 2005
Experienced User
I would not advice anyone to take on any diet without the aid of a dietician. Most ed's - be in anorexia, bulimia, compulsive over-eating etc, are a lot more complex than just the food. There is always an emotional distress underlying this. I would suggest seeking the help of a counsellor as well. This does not make her any less of a person. It takes someone with strength to go through the counselling process. I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, but it would be foolish of me to suggest any diet without knowing your daughter.
|

Thank you .... I appreciate your advice and input and you are absolutely right. I will get in touch with a dietician.

Thank you again
|

Extremely eHealthy
Buy the atkins book at any book store and then have your daughter read it and decide for herself if it is the right approach for her.
You cant just put her on a diet. It needs to be her choice and she needs to devote herself to it. No one can do it but her.

Good luck
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....