Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Weird Breathing Symptom Help!!

I have had anxiety for years and it went away for 6 years.
Lately I am having this weird lung thing going on.
I m not hyperventilating I know very well what that is!

It feels like when I inhale the air going in just stops and I get a weird funny tingling feeling in my lungs. It happens alot at night when I am laying down. Then the panic really sets in and I am ready to go the the er!
I still exercise and gfeel very healthy. I just feel like there is something weird in my chest almost like some sort of lung spasm??????

Any ideas???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 26th, 2005
Go and see your local gp. It could be an infection in the lungs, a nerve thing, it could also be nothing. Its better to be safe than sorry. I was having real trouble breathing one day and ithurt to eay so I went to the doctors thinking its just anxiety again and found out I had an inflamed trachea (the pipe we breather through). I was prescrived something to help the swelling and was better in 2 to 3 days.
|

replied September 26th, 2005
Thanks
I went to the hospital today it was so bad. I tried to make appointment with my dr they told me late october!
I had all of the tests done! Blood, ekg, you name it. All good. I hae an appontment with a pulmonologist thursday.
This definitely isn't anxiety. It sure is causing me to panic again though!
If it is anxiety it's a brand new sympton ive never had.

My lungs kind of hurt some days though.
|

replied October 19th, 2005
Remember don't panic. I went though a problem with breathing like you are. I was diagnosed with asthma. Just try not to dwell on it too much. It usually makes your symptoms worse if you are constantly thinking about it. I should listen too my own advise, because I am having some serious panic issues!
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Maybe look into this?
You might consider asking your doctor to do a sleep test. I was having attacks at night where my lungs would suddenely paralyze and once for over a minute I wasn't able to draw in air or exhale. (I passed out and fell off the bed and appetently in knocked the wind back on me- so I'm told,) while the dogs were trying to figure out why... ( they orig though my baby was kicking me as I was 9 months pregnant) but of happened again while I was on the hospital after delivery, and no one on the unit knew what it was or how to help, so I got CPR... Which is weird if your actually conscious. They sent me for a sleep study and discovered I have sleep apnea. (although the lung paralyzis is said not to be related, and none of my dogs have yet figured it out.)

Ok ok so where's my point? The combo of allergies and sleep apnea reminds me of your complaints. Espec the way you mention it occurs at night but your fine during the day. I use a machine that ensures air goes all the way in my lungs and since I feel great! Anxiety will make it worse and at some point a doc may say that's the cause although it's actualy a result of this mess. Sleep apnea is still relatively new. Most doctors don't even consider it unless there's a drastic reason to. I've had it since at least high school and they kept telling me my syptoms were stress treating me with every mental and psychosis coctail imaginable... But it wasn't
Umtill they final did a sleep test that they found I had sleep apnea and oxigen levels dangerously low at night. Untreated it can lead to hormonal imbalance, heart disease, basicly without your brain getting oxigen it can't properly regulate your system, glands, and organs. So! Ask your doc to tell you why you shouldn't have a sleep apnea test. At least you can rule sleep apnea out, and it beats a stress test, all you do is sleep LOL.

Cheers
|

replied March 26th, 2009
My dogs
I apologize profusely! Don't trust running spell check on an iPod touch. You might end up talking about your dogs instead of your docs! I couldn't contain my laughter on that pathetic first paragraph. My dogs, wind knocked
On me, and a kicking baby.....

SORRY!!!
|

replied March 29th, 2009
Your dogs
LOL Hgrimm.
|

replied November 7th, 2009
It actually could be anxiety I have an anxiety disorder and I get the same thing it normally happens if I an worried or even thinking about getting sick. I try to do somthing to take my mind off of it or take a nap haha it goes away. But I agree it is a very unusual feeling and uncomfortable I have even thought about seeing a doctor for it but I figured they would do what they do for every thing I have tell me not to worry so I wont. I hope that this helps.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...