Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety / Stress Or Is This the End of Me?

Hi everyone,

well I have been reading over these forums for the past day or so, and I think it's great that forums like these exists.

I'm a 29yr old male. Who used to drink a lot and smoke a lot - little to no excercise - however still maintained a decent weight / body build. (maybe a bit of a belly, but nothing that I was concerned about)

here is my story:

one saturday night, I was at home playing some online computer games (hanging out with some friends, chatting over voice communication programs, drinking more then I should have, eating greasy food which was ordered in and next thing I know... I have either a heart problem / anxiety problem / digestive problem / or something that no one knows)

like I said... I was playing an online computer game for hrs upon end with friends. I had consumed a fair amount of booze that night, however I do tend to drink a lot while playing computer games with friends... It's kinda the equivlant of us back in the day going to night clubs. I also smoked a lot - almost 3/4 pack a day.

Anyhow I ordered in some food, and ate most of it - chicken finger and wedges (i ate the wedges and I think I had about 2 fingers)... All seemed normal, I had a few more drinks, was feeling a bit tired but I kept on going with the boys.

I guess it was about an hour after I ate, I had a sudden chest pain - it was sharp - fast and felt like someone was removing a knife from me (which I don't know what that would feel like either, but I would guess it would feel some what similar) after that sharp pain that lasted about 3 seconds, I grabbed my chest, my body must have gone into shock or something because I became dizzy, started sweating, kinda sick to my stomach as if I was about to throw up - which I did not, my stomach blew up like a balloon... And... **yes I thought I was having a heart attack, I quickly called my girlfriend from the other room and told her what was happening and she called 911* I was so weak I could not even walk.

The paramedics arrived finally, which it felt like 20 minutes, they did a few tests, figured it was a panic attack and not a heart attack. The paramedics walked me to the ambulance and drove to the hospital.

In the hospital I had an ekg done, and it showed normal. I believe they also did a blood test - results normall. I was released shortly after that.. The doctor thought it was a panic attack.

The next day I had the same chest pains, same stomach reaction, dizzy etc.. I was concerned, I went to another hospital and they had another ekg done - results normal, and a blood test - results normal. I was released and on my way home (worried about the release)

2 days after that, I had the exact same symptoms again, I figure what the heck, something is dead wrong. So back to the hospital I go... I waited there for about 4hrs, seen a doctor that spent a whole 30 seconds with me, in his words "this is a classic case of an anxiety attack" and released me.

I was in and out, in and out... The next few days went as follows...

In to the hospital - ekg done again - results normal, chest x-ray - results normal, ecg done - results not sure as of yet since they are being sent to my family doctor but the Dr. Who did the test explained everything was ok. I also had some stomach test done - results will be going to my doctor witihn the week.

I have 2 more tests that will be coming up shortly - 1 is a scope and the 2nd is an ultrasound of my stomach.

However on a daily basis *this is not every moment of the day though* I feel tired, I have chest pains (some sharp, some dull, some burning), I have had pains throughout the entire left side of my body, including my arms. My left ear went numb, and now that the numbess is gone it's aching like mad. My nose was numb for a few days. Lump in my throat, dry moulth, the feeling that there is very poor circulation within the body.

I can hold my arm up in the air, and it almost feels like it goes numb. (or the feeling you get when you sleep on a body part) my entire body hurts, and I just feel terrible - damn I even cried the other day which my girlfriend of 8 years has never seen *so it freaked the hell out of her*

i quit smoking and drinking - so im not sure if there is anxiety from that stuff, but I sure the hell do not like it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening,

unknown.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 24th, 2005
Experienced User
Well your story sounds a lot like mine apart from mine turned out to be a viral illness which caused all the anxiety and which I am now trying to get rid of.

Like you I was in and out of hospital for weeks and I was just told it was stress which of course I did not believe, I was right in a way cos there was a viral illness which affected my nervous system but the anxiety was as my doctor put it self induced! I mean how would they react if it was them that was thinking they were going to die!

Anyway I had horrible symptoms, heart palpitations, sweating, chills, shaking, my left side of my body went numb espacially my arm, my muscles ached so much, and the ones I found really horrible were when the right and left side of my face started drooping, god I thought it was a stroke!

All the symptoms you have can be from anxiety as it will be your bodys way of saying " I need a change". I`m listening to my body more than ever now, believe your doctor when your tests come back negative, I was into all sorts before my anxiety started but its never too late to change. I`m now going down the homeopathic line to see what I can get done to help me. I`ll keep you all posted if I find something that helps.

Good luck
debs
|

replied September 24th, 2005
Experienced User
The only thing I can say that kind of relates to you is when I was a kid and for a few years after, I had a sharp pain in my chest right over my heart. It would just come on where you breathe in and it hurts the more you breathe. Very sharp and you think you're having a heart attack. The doctors never knew what the hell it was and I eventually knew of two other girls and a guy that had the same thing. Never been explained yet. All tests were done that you mentioned and nothing with all of us. The two girls never had anxiety or the guy. The funny thing is I was the first to get it, so i'd calm them down through it. An anxiety spaz telling other people to breathe slowly.....Lol.

The best thing you can do with any symptom in your body is not stress right out. Don't have a zillion thoughts of impending doom when it might be absolutely nothing. In most cases that ends up being true and even if something is life threatening, if you relax your body....You have a better chance. Relax man, it may be nothing other than a scared feeling you're focussing on too much.

Be well, and let us know what happens with the tests. Don't get stressed out, I was a basket case with my chest pains but it ended up being nothing.
|

replied October 3rd, 2005
I have the same feeling in my chest sometimes. I just lie down and try to relax and not breathe too deeply, but slowly. Don't panic too much it will only make it worse.
|

replied October 8th, 2005
If this happens after having a meal with a lot of fat, it is probably acid from you stumach coming up your throat. It can be very painfull, i've had it myself a few times.

Sorry for my bad english :)
|

replied October 8th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I am sorry to say but it sounds liek your blood pressure which affects your heart or your heart itself. The blood pressure effects if its from the smoking and drinking could get better with refraining from these things, bbut that heart could continue for years before it shows up for them to see.

I had pains for 9 years off and on. Kept telling me I was too young. Well, low and behold 9 years later after 3 visits to the er in ambulance, I had full miocardial infartion--heart attack. I had 22 episodes in 5 days before they said my heart. I was airlifted to phoenix and rushed into cath lab for angioplasty and stent inserted. I had the highest heart enzyme test in the whole phoenix heart hospital ward. I was 31 when it started and 40 when I had heart attck. My major artery was completely stopped up.

I hope you get better--but I know it is scary to be afraid for your heart. I will pray you get better.

Jo
|

replied October 10th, 2005
Chest Pain Vs Anxiety
Umm sounds like you need to get your gallbladder checked out by chance does this tend to happen after eating fatty foods or drinking??? Also most heart related cest pain is not sharp or stabbing usually more crushing with shortness of breath also described as an elephant on your chest hope I could help thanks nursechick
|

replied October 10th, 2005
Sounds like all my symptoms when I was having chronic gallbladder trouble... :shock: lots of very strange symptoms.. That are gone now that my gb is gone... All my tests were normal for gb and no stones... Just a poorly functioning gb... Terrible sharp pain in my chest and dizziness... Finger on my right hand went numb and my arms would go numb at night while sleeping... Read somewhere that a swollen inflamed gb can press on your vagus nerve and cause lots of heart symptoms...

Just a thought...
|

replied October 27th, 2005
It sounds like a panic attack. I used to get them quite frequently when I partied, and then they put me on medication. This was about 10 years ago. It freaked me out. Same thing, er, ekg, etc... Then I realized that I didn't want to be addicted to medication either. You need to take deep breathes, through your nose, hold in your stomach. Your brain is not geting enough air, and you will hyperventilate. I didn't have them for like 10 years, then they came back. Good luck. I know it is sooo scary. Then it becomes all you think about because you are afraid you are dying or something, or that the doctors are wrong. Xanax used to help, try some htp5, it is natural or some valerian root. I am sure at the health food store now a days, they have so much. Good luck. You will be okay. Tara
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...