My orthapedic doctor sent me to have an mri on my rotator cuff. Having never had an mri of any kind before, I did not know how this would affect me. When I was put into the open mri, I immediately knew (10 seconds) that I couldn't handle the fear that had come over me and ask them to take me out. I was told by the technicians that some people can't do this and perhaps my medical doctor could give me a sedative like valium. I don't know how the valium would effect me or if it would allow me to go through this procedure or not. I can only tell you this was the most terrifing experience I have ever went through. My doctor won't treat me if I don't have this procedure. Please tell me how I can get through 45 minutes of this ordeal.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
Hi ihad to have an mri not so long ago of my neck and my brain and it was scary at first. I was in hospital trying to find out what was wrong with me, and I had to have this done as it was the most important scan that I had to be done. I was so scared of it but when I went in it was actually ot too bad. I`m not claustrophobic but the thought of going in that machine scared me so much.

Anyway I started panicing just before I went in but luckily for me there was a lovely nurse who volunteered to stay in the room with me. I went in the machine and I started to panic so they took me out and I think it was sheer determination that got me through it. I just thought to myself I need to do this, it`s the only way I will know for sure whats going on. It is uncomfortable and scary but well worth it. You have nothing to fear, easy for me to say, but I found talking myself through it positively really helped. I refused to take any valium as I know how addictive they can be.

It might help if you can go in and out, I did this after every scan they took they let me out for a minute and gave me a drink of water. You will get through it, it will be uncomfortable but if you distract yourself, think of what your having for dinner, where your going on holiday anything at all to occupy ur mind!
The only other thing I can say is maybe they will allow you to take in some form of music some places already offer it. I hope you can get it done as once you`ve done it you will actually feel like you`ve achieved something.

Good luck
debs
|

replied September 22nd, 2005
Hi, im 15 years old and if I can do this you can too. I just reciently had an mri on my brain. I found that it helped closing my eyes as I was goign into it and singing a song to myself. I was very nervous once it first started because of the noise but it didnt take me very long to relax. I am currently re-doing my room and I found that it helped thinking about the color sceme and what im going to do the next day. It really helps if you think about something totally different. But if you think about it, like whats actually happening to you, theres nothing to be afraid of! You can get out anytime and nothing bads going to happen. Its good, it leaves no radiation in your body and theres no pain or anything. Once you get through your first scan you will feel more and more confident and as soon as your out you feel so happy with yourself and relize that it really wasnt very bad at all. It helps if you have something in your hands to fiddle with. I had a ball of clean-x's and I found it helped. In my mri I had a mirror and I could see the woman in the other room. It was very helpful. And you can ask the person to talk to you and keep your mind off of it. But really theres nothing to be afriad of! Well good luck and you will be fine!
|

replied September 27th, 2005
You Both Are So Supportive!
I really appreciate your thoughts on my problem and i'm going to go through with it maybe with a little help with valium. The best of health to you and may god bless you.

Peggy
|

replied November 29th, 2005
I Did It!
I had the mri with a little help from xanax. As soon as I went under the open mri, I only remember a minute or two as I went fast asleep. There was no fear as I went under. Believe me if I can do it......Anybody can do it. Thanks for the encouragement I received from you.
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
Asleep from Xanax?
Souppeggy,
You fell asleep from Xanax? My first MRI I had IV sedation with twilight and 240 mcgs of fentenyl. I continued to freak out. On my second MRI they knocked me out completely. Now I need another one.(I have MS).
and my neurologist no longer has admitting rights to the hospial. They have suggested IV Valium sedation.
Anyone have experience with this?
Grandhuff
|

replied February 28th, 2012
I have never ever been able to do an MRI...Open closed or otherwise. Open would be fin except that put that thing over your head so it doesn't seem open at all. This last time they gave me Xanax an house before but I didn't start feeling the effects of till about 3-4 hours fther, which was after the MRI tech had given up.

The open MRI would have been fine if it was taking a picture of any other part of my body but with the head it just doesn't make all that much of a difference...

I'm just any extremely claustrophobic person. I'm the kind of person who has to sit on the end row of a movie theater because If I sit in the middle I tend to freak out a bit...

My suggestion if you know you're claustrophobic have the doc knock you out, not valum not xanax.... knocked out so you don;t know where you are.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...