Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

20 Year Old With 4 Years of Chest Pains

I am 20 years old, 6'2 and 350 lbs. I am trying my best to loose weight.

In the past 4 years, I have been in the er about 5 times due to chest pain, and shortness of breath. The first few times I went to the er spent a few hours and then I was fine. 2 years ago I had the same problem and was fine. In the past I have had ekg's and x-rays as well as blood and urine work every time I am in the er. 2 years ago I decided to go to the er, in october. It will be 2 years this coming october. I had another ekg or ecg an echocardiogram, a stress test as well as wearing a halter monitor for 24 hrs. All of these tests came back negative and I was deemed a healthy guy.

In 20th of august of 2004 it happened again, I went to er and they ran the ekg, chest x-ray, blood and urine. All came back fine and then I started school and was fine for 1 year.

In the 20's of august 2005 I has the same exact thing almost 1 year later. The whole prior year was fine with no problems. I went to the er and they ran the same tests and I was fine.

The pain I am having is right about 75% of the way from the left nipple to the center of the chest. I also then get pain on the of my body, 100% to the left from the nipple, though this pain is sharper and doesn’t stay. The pain in chest from a scale to 1-10 is about a 2. I also get pain in my left arm. I also get random headaches which don’t stay. They just move around.

I went to my general physician or primary care doctor today sept 13th. I had a full physical and he did the ekg. All was fine. A few times in the hospital, 2 dr's. Told me that it was gerd or acid reflux disease. Somehow I don’t beleive that it’s gerd or something with my digestive tract.

I know it’s either the heart or something circulatory, or maybe im just crazy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 30th, 2005
Llama-
you may want to get tested for what is called pericarditis. This causes mild to severe chest pains that worsens when lying down. Your heart may beat more rapidly than usual. I went to the er on sept. 26, 2005 with serious chest pains. I thought I was having a heart attack. I had shortness of breath and my chest and upper part of my back hurt like heck!! I have sle lupus so this is a symptom of that. They treated it with steroids and I am fine now. I am doing more research on the condition because it is very new to me and it's something that I don't want to worsen because it is very painful. Please get that checked out by seeing a cardiologist and have them perform an ekg and an echo on you. Take care
|

replied September 30th, 2005
ladyt wrote:
llama-
you may want to get tested for what is called pericarditis. This causes mild to severe chest pains that worsens when lying down. Your heart may beat more rapidly than usual. I went to the er on sept. 26, 2005 with serious chest pains. I thought I was having a heart attack. I had shortness of breath and my chest and upper part of my back hurt like heck!! I have sle lupus so this is a symptom of that. They treated it with steroids and I am fine now. I am doing more research on the condition because it is very new to me and it's something that I don't want to worsen because it is very painful. Please get that checked out by seeing a cardiologist and have them perform an ekg and an echo on you. Take care

i just had a echo---stress test---echo yesterday,

everything seems fine,i will look into pericarditis
|

replied July 11th, 2010
llama , i too feel the same symptoms as you feel , i am a 23 yr old guy , and am slightly overweight too.
i do lots of exercise sometimes and no exercise for days.drs have informed me that these symptoms might be of some muscle strain or GERD or they feel i being a paramedic student am having a psychological problem , but i can feel the pain .it has either something to do with cardio vascular disease or specifically artery block somewhere.i had my all routine tests like ECG , echo , treadmill stress test , thyroid hormone checked , even my triglycerides levels are under control. but something is not right in my body . so i will now start walking and exercising regularly every morning and wait for anything acute to happen to me so that i can actually get to the root of it and eradicate it if possible..anyways i will take my care u take urs...
felt good that someone somewhere is having the same problem i am not alone.
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2010
Thanks ladyt for the valuable and helpful information, and i would like to say that Llama should go to a good cardiologist for checkup and further treatment.

Thanks
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....