Help! Looking for ways to combat extreme fatigue! I suffer from ra and take 20mg methotrexate weekly and just can't function day of dose and day after. And the rest of the week still feel exhausted in general. Don't know where to turn - no-one seems to understand that a 'good nights sleep' isn't making a difference. Does anyone have any ideas that will help me get my life back. Wondering what's worse - joint pain or fatigue from meds?!

Take care, steph
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper THukee
|

replied October 24th, 2005
I take methotrexate (20mg/week) along with plaquenil and just recently started humira. My ra doc and primary doc have me on 1cc of vitamin b12 each week and I am feeling better. I give myself the shot which is the same size as an insulin needle.
|

replied October 25th, 2005
Sleeping problems used to plaque me. I found that my problems were getting worse because of a condition that most doctors don't test for, leaky gut syndrome.

I have an awesome meal planner sheet that gets you back on track and gives you an energy boost.
|

replied March 7th, 2008
Need to know
I have been taking methotrexate for 3 months and am starting to experience severe depression. I have post traumatic stress disorder and cannot tell if this is just an abnormally serious flare up or if it's being triggered by the medication. I am desperate to know if anyone else is experiencing these same side effects.

Thanks!
|

replied May 21st, 2008
methotrexate
I also take 20mg. of methotrexate weekly, and am very fatigued the day I get the needle, I am not too bad the day after, but I am tired all the time, my ra Dr. is having having blood work done to see if my b12 is low. I know how you feel I could sleep 24\7, although I have to work part time so I do have to get up and get moving when I have to work. I also have fibromialga, I am not sure which is more painful, I think the fibro. may win. Take care and hang in there!!!
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
It's great to come across this post. I have not been diagnosed with anything as yet, but suspicion of Crohn's. i am on 25mg Methotrexate and could sleep 24/7 and am just not coping, especially being a sole parent. i am wondering how you all have coped with this side effect. I want to get off the meds so that i can get back to being able to function reasonably well during the day without sleeping all day and then seeing lots of chores that need to be done but don't have the energy. Help!
|

replied August 7th, 2011
RA and Methotrexate
Hi, i like to know how can anyone work full time with RA? how do you deal with daily flare ups and fatigue at work? i was diagnosed with RA last year. i am taking 25mg Methotrexate injections, 20 mg of Arava with Folic acid i was also taking 400 mg of plaquenil but had to stop when it effected my eys. i feel like i have been hit by the train the day after Mathotraxate i couldn't get up all day, my eyes swell badly no one seem to know why right now my left eye is swollen and this happened right after the MA injection i thought if i sleep it might get better but 24 hours later it is still swollen sometime it looks purple in color i suspect the RA drug caused it . does anyone know anything about it?
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Methotrexate andFatigue
I work full time and work out 6 days a week with RA. I'm on 20mg prednisone as a bridge therapy to help with the Methotrexate 20mg each week and folic acid daily. I've only been on Methotrexate for 3 weeks now. The second week went really well, but the first and third were tough. Not sure why it was good the second week, but I do try to work out even when I don't think I can. It helps my RA to do low impact elliptical and weights. As soon as I try to run or use the treadmill again my knees, ankles, hips and feet hurt again. The fatigue is tough the day after, but it would take a LOT for me to miss work. It just isn't an option for me on most days to allow RA to stop me. I was diagnosed 8 months ago and refuse to let it stop me. Accepting that I would be on Methotrexate was difficult and I still consider stopping, but I just don't want to regret the opportunity to slow down the disease early on. I take a lot of vitamins and eat healthy. I feel worse when I eat badly so I try to eat as healthy as possible even when my stomach hurts. I also try mind over matter as much as possible. Believe me...it's not easy, but the mind is a powerful thing.
|

replied May 27th, 2012
I have been on a low dose of Methotrexate 10 mg/week for about 2 months. I just keep getting progressively sleepier. I can easily sleep most of the day and then sleep 9 hours at night. I am behind on routine house chores because I just cannot seem to find the energy. I work 30+ hours/week and am a single parent to a 7 yr old. I just began to wonder if it is the methotrexate contributing to my fatigue. It seems like others are having similar problems. I take 1200-1500 mcg of folic acid daily. Any suggestions?
|

replied February 16th, 2014
It's the same with me and I get grouchy, too. I don't work, thank heavens. I'm retired.
|

replied July 16th, 2012
Hi there,
I have been on 25mg Methotrexate for nearly 2 years now and still, just, managing to work. I have been on many combinations with it including plaquenil, which made me really itch and bad eyes, 20mg prednisone, Arava and now injecting Enbrel. I still take Arava & folic acid with the methotreate but since the Enbrel 3 months ago I am able to stay awake passed 9pm and have more energy. I still don't like taking all the meds as my skin is becomming very crepe like and I'm only early 30's - does anyone else have very dry crepe like skin??
|

replied September 28th, 2012
Using Exercise to Combat Fatigue from Methotrexate...
I've been on 25 mg Methotrexate (and everybody's favorite, Prednisone) for RA for about 9 months. Sounds weird, but to combat fatigue, I swim, bike, sauna, walk, and lift weights as much as possible. I also try to stay away from caffine and sugar, eat healthy, and try to get eight or more hours of sleep.

I'm lucky in that my RA was diagnosed early and is not too severe (although the first couple of months was excruciaiting). Seems like a charged up metabolism helps me pull out of the fatigue (that feels like being in a pit) that occurs the first few days after my weekly dose of methotrexate.

During these couple of days, I force myself to swim/walk/bike but I don't overdo it. I always feel better than if I did nothing. Also, doing even a little throughout the day (morning, lunch, and evening) seems to keep your metabolism raised. Then, on the good days, I pick up the pace which helps on endurace and overall feeling of well being to prepare me for next week's dose...

Nothing is easy with RA but this is what works for my milder form of RA. FYI, a few months ago, I got off my routine (especially the swimming) and noticed that my symptoms and fatigue came back with a vengence. Good luck to all of you...
Chas
|
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....