Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Swollen Neck Gland?? I Get a Cold Once a Month

I have a problem where my gland swells up and down on the left side of my neck. Sometimes when it swells the most it is uncomfortable. My immune system seems to be awful also. I get a really bad cold/ virus once a month with a slight sore thoat and extreme nasal congestion. I have muscle pains and fatigue along with the other symptoms. I taken blood tests and they come out negative for anything. What could this possibly be, it is really interfering with day to day life not to mention my job. I feel quite unhealthy most of time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 1st, 2004
Colds
Polojesse, you mentioned that you have been to see a doctor to have blood work performed - but have you been to an endocrinologist yet? If not, go!

I am the poster child for pneumonia, colds, bronchitis, sinus infections and allergies. Everytime I would go to see my gp, he would prescribe enough antibiotics to kill a horse.

It wasn't until I started researching online after being diagnosed with hashimoto's did I read that individuals with low thyroid function "do" have more respiratory infections than others.

In my case, having the hashimoto's/auto-immune disease, my body doesn't know good cells from bad, or which ones to fight off.

So, i'd go see an endo and mention that you also are a poster child - of course with any other symptons you might have.

Reallady
|

replied June 1st, 2004
Experienced User
Swollen Gland
You have something going on with your thyroid. A swollen neck is a goiter. You need to see what the level of your thyroid is. Coldness is due to hypothyroidism. A thyroid that is inactive.
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with viral tonsillitis. I would suggest you Tylenol for symptomatic relief.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.