Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Abortion At 37 Weeks? (Page 1)

Ok I was browsing some boards, and was disturbed when someone posted that at 37 weeks they got an amniocentesis to check for down syndrome (anyone know why theyd wait so long?) anyways, her doctor told her that if she tested positive for ds, she could have an abortion! This is legal!? I'm just disturbed by this, so if anyone has any information let me know.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper clbernadetteh
|

replied August 31st, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes its true, in the uk anyway, in the usa I believe it is still legal to get an abortion for any reason even durring birth in some states.
|

She said in the uk anyway,
i had thought there was a pba ban in 03.. Isnt it still in place? And at 37 weeks how else would it be done?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Abortion is legal in the uk up to the 24th week of pregnancy. However, if there is a substantial risk to the woman's life or if there are foetal abnormalities there is no time limit.
|

pcforme wrote:
seksihily wrote:
she said in the uk anyway,
i had thought there was a pba ban in 03.. Isnt it still in place? And at 37 weeks how else would it be done?

i don't believe a ob would do it in the uk.

Nope... Guess not. It is only in place when the republicans need votes.

ahh the all knowing !**@! is back,who gives a shyte what you believe silly !**@!.
|

She didnt abort her child, her doctor offered to abort her child if it had ds, which it didnt, the girl was appalled at even being asked.
|

replied September 1st, 2005
pcforme wrote:
jlee77 wrote:
oh, ok. I'm glad to hear that. Why would her doctor even mention abortion then? Ick.

first, if the case is true, he is required to give her all her options. Are you against doctor's giving out information? Or just against information you don't like?

Second, the case is fake.

proof that it is fake,no ... Thought not,you really should stop taking the drugs
|

Extremely eHealthy
seksihily wrote:
she didnt abort her child, her doctor offered to abort her child if it had ds, which it didnt, the girl was appalled at even being asked.

what is the point of doing an amniocentesis to check for downs syndrome if you would not abort in any case?
|
Users who thank oopoop for this post: Moo 

User Profile
Experienced User
poopoopoo wrote:
seksihily wrote:
she didnt abort her child, her doctor offered to abort her child if it had ds, which it didnt, the girl was appalled at even being asked.

what is the point of doing an amniocentesis to check for downs syndrome if you would not abort in any case?

as skar said people like to prepare for things like that.
|

Theres so many false positives tho...
|

Ahhh your right, I was thinking of alternative tests, I know there is one that has a pretty high rate of false positives.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
37 weeks is full term so would that not be murder??
|

replied April 26th, 2012
i had my baby at 37wks alive,and to think of his brain being crushed and brain bein sucked through a tube is murder ,anyone involved shud rot in hell.a baby is a life no matter how many wks it is
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
Of course, if the fetus is anencephalic, there is no brain to suck out.

Get a grip, people, the only abortions performed at 37 weeks are because the fetus has no chance of life, or to save the life of the woman. Stop pretending that this has anything to do with discussing abortions.
|
Users who thank oopoop for this post: Moo 

replied June 15th, 2012
Well, at 37 weeks an abortion is never necessary. Terminating the pregnancy at that point would just mean delivering the baby since, more likely than not it would live. In the US abortions are legal to 24 weeks for elective reasons and up until birth for health reasons. A viable fetus is 22 weeks. Why then would it be necessary to kill it after it could survive outside ofthe mother's body? So many pro-choice persons deny the fact that late term, unnecessary abortions happen. But they do. One only needs to look up Dr. Martin Haskell. He is a very popular late term abortionist. He himself admits that 80% of his abortions are late term. In the 23-28th week. Only 20% of those are for health reasons. The rest are purely elective, voluntary abortions
|

replied July 30th, 2012
Experienced User
i dont understand why the doctor would be willing to do an abortion if the baby had downs. thats crazy!
|

replied August 14th, 2012
Why is it crazy?
|

replied August 15th, 2012
Experienced User
well its crazy because first of all its a full term pregnancy and second of all just because the baby has downs syndrome that is no reason to abort it
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
jesuslovesu wrote:
just because the baby has downs syndrome that is no reason to abort it

Maybe not in your eyes, many people do feel that aborting on foetal health issues is a perfectly valid reason.
|

Experienced User
i can understand if a baby had a life threatening disease and it wouldnt live very long after it was born but downs is not a life threatening disease. its a genetic disorder.
|

Down children can have serious physical issues. My best friend had a Down child who had a heart defect. He died at age 4 or 5 and she had a nervous breakdown. Guess what? She's very much pro choice even though she herself would never abort.

I seriously question whether the situation in the OP even happened. If someone is going to have genetic testing done, they do it long before 37 weeks.
|
Users who thank msrosie for this post: Moo