Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Clomid Use And Risk of Ovarian Cancer???

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Hello, I used clomid when trying to conceive about 12-13 years ago. I used it for about 6 cycles increasing the dosage a few of those times. Never got pregnant and gave up. About 4 years after that I tried clomid again for 1 cyle, got pregnant then miscarried at 8 weeks. Never used clomid again. Went on to have 3 children in 3 years after that without the help of any fertility drugs. I am now 35 years old. What are my chances of developing ovarian cancer because of the clomid use without pregnancy. I have always had irregular periods and after my 3rd child my periods are still pretty irregular ranging anywhere from 32 days to 49 days. Some months I spot for 2 days about a week before my period comes. Why is that happening? I have also had a history of complex cyst that has resolved. How does that play into my risk?? Also I don't have any history of breast or ovarian cancer in my family. Thanks so much
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RDFITZGERALD
|

replied October 20th, 2005
Hi. I am 45 years old and had ovarian cancer in 2000, five years ago.

I used clomid for a brief period 11 years before that, in 1989. I stopped taking it because of the side effects. I only would have been taking it for three months.

We have two wonderful boys who are now 15 and 18.

I had undiagnosed polycystic ovarian syndrome, since I was 14. I hardly ever had periods. So both my boys are miracles to us.

In 2000 I started bleeding heavily when I was having a period. Also some spotting. I went to see the gyno and he recommended having a d&c to clear the uterus. I had a pap smear done at that same time.The pap smear test came back saying everything was 100% normal.

When I had the d&c however, it showed I had uterine cancer. I was immediately booked in for the total hysterectomy, which was going to mean my ovaries too and my cervix. When they were doing the surgery they discovered tumours on the ovaries as well. They took both ovaries, and the omentum as well. (that is the fatty layer that rests underneath the ovaries.) one of the tumours was the size of an orange.

So here is the wake up call. If you think a pap smear will reveal uterine or ovarian cancer, think again! This is not to you, mary, but to all who are reading posts here. Also, d&c's will not show ovarian cancer either. I guess imaging like scans would. But pap smears only show changes in the cervix.

I had six months of chemo, as a precaution. The cancer had not spread beyond the ovaries. The uterine cancer was unrelated, it just happened to grow at the same time. Which really spared my life, because without the bleeding I would not have gone to the doctor in the first place. The chemo was awful, lost all my hair and was very sick.

But, praise god, I am alive and well today after five years. No reoccurences.

I did not have a family history of o/c but my mother had uterine cancer when she was 57. She is fine today at 74. As to whether or not clomid is a risk, I do not know. Perhaps. I think having estrogen dominance over an extended time is more of a risk factor.

Please, everyone who thinks they have unusual spotting, or bloating or other vague symptoms. Don't ignore it. Go to your doctor. Have a ca125 blood test. That is the tumour marker blood test for ovarian cancer. Have a scan done. Don't ignore the signs.

My prayers are with those who have been diagnosed and who struggle through the dark valley of doubt and fear for their future. But be encouraged, pray and look to god for strength.
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Ovarian cancer clomid
I took clomid for 1.5 years, on the advice of my doctor, to try and get pregnant. I didn't get pregnant, but ended up with Ovarian cancer. As soon as I started taking clomid I started having irregularly bleeding and a lump developed in my breast. I had regularly yearly checkups before taking clomid as part of my job, with nothing abnormal occurring. I was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer approximately 8-10 years after taking it. After talking to hundreds of other Ovarian cancer victims, it is a common thread. I repeatedly find that people who have developed Ovarian cancer took fertility medication. I was given 3 months to live. Is having a baby worth that? I lost all my hair, and have medical complications for life, because of chemo. Please think twice about taking any fertility drugs. The drug industry makes billions of dollars and appears to be doing everything possible to hide the link between Ovarian cancer and fertility medications like Clomid.
|

replied December 21st, 2009
My daughter developed breast cancer at the age of 29. She is now 32.
There is no history of breast cancer in the family.
She had a lumpectomy, chemotherapy and radiation; and is on Tamoxifen.
She has had regular checks at the breast clinic; and has been investigated for rectal bleeding, uterine bleeding, and now is being investigated for an ovarian cyst and an abnormal smear test.
She has had cat scans, MRI's, PET scans, because the level of one of the tumour markers (CEA) is slowly rising.
I took clomid before conceiving her.
I can find no reference to the taking of clomid in the mother and the incidence of cancer in the offspring.
Does any one have any references about this ?
|

replied May 24th, 2011
@ sopotra:
The closest thing I can think of is a paper by Csoka et al titled "Epigenetic side-effects of common pharmaceuticals: a potential new field in medicine and pharmacology" at Med Hypotheses. 2009 Nov;73(5):770-80

It mentions accumulating evidence that Tamoxifen can cause uterine cancer via epigenetic mechanisms, i.e. by altering gene expression. (The same might be true for clomid. I am not a doctor but I asked a biology student and he said epigenetic changes can be passed on to offspring, so what you say is not inconceivable.)

Although Tamoxifen may help with breast cancer, please keep in mind that it is also a carcinogen and it increases chances of uterine cancer. It should be used with caution and only when when the benefits outweigh the risks. I don't know how your daughter is doing, but if she is still taking Tamoxifen, please consider switching to a different type of medication. Aromatase inhibitors, such as anastrazole, letrozole, etc, reduce estrogen and breast cancer without causing other cancers.
|

replied May 25th, 2011
Thank you!
Now, despite having been told that she may never become pregnant - having had monthly injections to suppress her ovaries, before chemotherapy - she is pregnant. And this happened while she was taking tamoxifen !
|

replied November 26th, 2013
Please I would need some input and clarification. My Fiance Diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer Stage III October 7th 2013.

Me and my Fiance went to a fertility doctor who prescribed Clomid for her.
Because of Insurence problems, she took Clomid sporadically for 3 cycles and stopped. First one, 5 pill dose in January 2013, then had 2nd. one by injection in March 2013, and 3rd. last one 5 pills in May 2013. That makes it a totel of 3 cycles.

October 2013 Diagnosed in Hospital ER through CT and US with Ovarian Cancer, after complaining of some abdominal discomfirt for maybe 3 to 4 months. She has had abdominal discomfort before, can't remember how long, but she has always associated it with menstrual cramps. We are together for just about 3 years now.
Can Clomid Cause Ovarian Cancer in under 1 year?

She had surgery removing one of her ovaries and GYN/ Oncologist says she needs 6 cycles of chemo now, to remove Lymph node too close to main aorta to remove it safely now, and also cancerous cells along stomach diaphragm. So if chemo doesn't completely destroy the cancer in the Lymph Node, she will have to go through another surgery to remove it and maybe the other ovary, after the 3rd. chemo treatment.

I am devastated. She is 43, never had any children. When we went though process of looking for GYN/Oncologist Doctor, We both brought up the fact she took Clomid for three cycles. Her family's history is stomach cancer through her grandmother, no ovarian cancer history in her family. Both Doctors we consulted downplayed the Clomid, one even said that he thinks the cancer has been there in one form or another for more then 1 year, but it took time to show symptoms. However, me and my girlfriend, now Fiancee, have strong feelings that it is the Clomid that caused this. When the Doctor finished her surgery and gave us the news and report on the surgery, when asked how long has this been inside, he said he estimates it has progressed in a period of 6 to 8 months. Which exactly corresponds around the time she started the sporadical 3 doses of Clomid. YET When asked directly about the Clomid causing this, the Dr. Surgeon says this is something not caused directly by the fertility medication. The OBG/Oncologist Physician is not the GYN doctor who prescribed the Clomid. The one who prescribed Clomid is another GYN doctor we originally went to for infertility, before all of this happened.

I read in article on line that Ovarian Cancer is caused by over-stimulation of the ovaries, and then improper functioning when the ovaries start ovulating after stimulatiion. By Logic and it seems it is too much of a coincidence for it to occure right in the time span that Clomid was taken. I and her are devastated. Plans are to get married, never planned it this way.

We are both devastated. Please someone give any advice.

Read more: Can Clomid Cause Ovarian Cancer Stage III in less then 1 year? - Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum - eHealthForum http://ehealthforum.com/health/can-clomid- cause-ovarian-cancer-stage-iii-in-less-the n-year-t419076.html#ixzz2lmrkJYZQ
Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter
|