I have a large birthmark on my chest (rough approx. 10cm by 10cm) and I have been advised by my doctor that I will need to have a skin graft if I want it removed (there is also the option of laser treatment, however I have tired that without success). Hence my question today do skin grafts scar real bad or is there any links to websites which may help me?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper birthmark-skingraft
|
Users who thank birthmark-skingraft for this post: aarielalmeida88 

replied September 13th, 2005
Just refreshing everyones memory
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied September 26th, 2005
There are many good surgeons for this.

Edit and look at skin category.

If you want me to get you some recommondations in thailand drop me a note.
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2009
can u answer me
i want to know how the scar looks like?i might be getting skin graft done soon pleassee anyone let me know if u know anything
|

replied July 24th, 2009
Skin graft appearence
I had skin grafting done after having a bad third degree burn near my elbows on both of my arms. It has been 18 months and the scars are still there.

At first, they lie flat and are really red and dark brownish, then overtime they change to more of a normal skin color, yet in my experience never fully change back to a normal color. they itch pretty bad for the first few months, and every once in awhile they can sting. Now, 18 months later, they have fully healed yet are slightly raised in the middle of the skingraft site, about a centimeter high. This bothers me, as it is very noticable and I get asked about it all the time, so i am planning on having a scar reduction surgery where they go under the scar and take out some of the scar tissue.

I went to a really great surgeon to begin with so I know its not because of lack of skill from my inital surgery. Everyone heals different, and this is just how my scars healed. The scar will be different depending on the thickness of skin grafting your getting done, i had to have a split level graft, so someone who had to have only a very thin layer of skin applied might have a smaller scar later on.
|

replied June 17th, 2011
Skin graft scar
OMG I have the same problem for over 20yrs now. I never wear short and it's very hot all the time. Where did you have it done? I am looking into fix this problem too.
|

replied June 17th, 2011
Hi Zasna, see my reply below.
|

replied June 17th, 2011
Skin Graft Surgery- 4 YEAR update
I went to a plastic surgeon in Thousand Oaks, California. I had only one arm done at the time, and it helped reduce the length, thickness and intensity of the scar. It has now been almost four years since the skin graft, and two years since the scar surgery, and I am pleased with the results. I am planning on going in for reduction surgery a second time this Winter and am told that after this surgery, all that will remain from the once 5 inch long, 4 inch wide keloid scar, will be a straight thin line.
|

replied June 17th, 2011
Thank for replying. But I live in Louisiana.
And how much/ how long does it take for the procedure?
|

replied April 20th, 2019
The risks will be explained by the surgeon when they ask you to sign the consent form for the operation.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....