Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Sex desire on birth control

I have been on OCP for about 5 years. I just stopped taking them. I am noticing that my sexual desires are higher off of them. I had a low sex desire on the pill. Has this happened to any of you? Maybe it was the hormone balance. Thanks for any advice! Cool
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 6th, 2003
Hmmm
That's weird I was just about to ask if being on the pill has ever increased desire...I have been taking the pill for almost 2 months...And ever since a bout a week after I started taking them I have been craving sex all the time....And while i'm typing...How accurate or safe is the pill? I once knew but I forgot and I cant find my paper work....Does anyone know?
|

replied August 10th, 2003
Experienced User
I noticed that my sex drive was lowered when I went on the pill as well. I do not know exactly why this happens, other than the fact that it has something to do with the hormones in the pill itself. Each pill is different, and each person reacts differently to it. My best friend found that the pill actually increased her libido. My boyfriend and I find that foreplay usually does the trick to compensate.
|

replied January 9th, 2004
Low Sex Drive
I too experience a low sex drive while taking the pill. I take min-ovral which a stronger version of... I think everybody is different but you are still messing with your hormones when you take the pill.

Allsmiles4rmme: the pill is about 97% effective. Maybe more. You don't want to smoke while your on the pill though. Regular checkups with your doc should calm your nerves.
|

replied January 12th, 2004
Experienced User
Increased..
My desire increased, and I enjoy sex more... Smile
i dont know if thats better for me or my boyfriend

allsmiles: I was always told it is 99% effective if taken properly!
Sarah:!:
|

replied January 21st, 2004
Experienced User
I Too Have a Low Sex Drive
I also have a low sex drive... But I now think that I am pregnant and my sex drive has skyrocketed.... Its awesome!!!!
|

replied February 1st, 2004
-decreased-
I have noticed a decrease since I got on the pill. And I too heard that its 99% effective when used correctly...And I think condoms are 97%
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2004
Advanced Support Team
I also noticed a lower sex drive and I am on ortho-tricycline.

~sara~
|

replied December 16th, 2004
Out of curiosity, those of you who mentioned getting an increased sex drive.... Which pill are you on? I'm about to start birth control after not being on it for two years and my sex drive isn't that great to start with so I don't want to kill it totally by taking the pill.
|

replied December 16th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi! I've been on 2 different kinds of the pill, and in both cases my already high sex drive went even higher. I think it's different for everyone and it varies upon an individual's body chemistry.
|

replied December 17th, 2004
Are you just on birth control or have you also been put on depression medicine . If you have not been on depression medicine then it is the birth control. First you have to make sure any other meds you are are not interfering with the birth control. I have been on just birth control and not my depression medicine first pills made me lose my desire, also made me bleed too much. It depends on your body type when I was younger I would bleed all the time even on pills so my doctor put me on depo . Well while I was doing sports the depo did not bother my weight. I had my fisrt baby they gave me depo after that I lost most of my weight but not all of it I was underweigt with my first babt I gained 85 pounds I lost 65 wnich before I had my baby made at the weight I should have been at normally. My second baby I did not gain that much weight but after the birth I gained more weight . He is three now I stopped taked depo in oct and I have lost 15 pounds with out even exercising. I guess it just depends on your boby with every birth control
|

replied December 17th, 2004
Experienced User
Ok, guys I have a lowered sex drive and I am on ortho-tricyclene (the generic one of it though, don't know the name) and zoloft for anxiety/depression. Does anyone have suggestions of something else I can take to make my sex drive normal again?????
|

replied October 29th, 2008
extended use of the pill
Hey guys:

I have been on the pill since I was 17 and I am now 26. I just got off of the pill last month in order to prepare for trying to get pregnant. When i was 17 I was a VERY sexual person. I was with my now husband at that time as well.

On the pill, every year, I got less and less sexual. I changed from Ortho to Yasmine, to Mircette trying to change the lowered desire but nothing worked. I am also on Zoloft. When i talked to my gyno about my sex drive she said "your married get used to it". Which is stupid since I am only 26.

LET ME TELL YOU! I have been off the pill for a month and can hardly sleep at night because I am thinking about sex ALL THE TIME. Its like I am 17 again. Ha. It has to be the fact that I have been off b-control for a month now. Its awesome! (The periods are horrible though....)

So, take it from someone who has been on b-control for way too long and is enjoying the fall-out:-)
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...