Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

What Kind of Skin Mole Is This?

I have this skin mole under my armpit. It looks like extra skin and it's growing bigger and longer. But, at the tip of it aboout 5 days ago it was purplish red and now it is black and rock hard. Just the tip. I'm not really sure what happened. The mole has been groing on for about a year now. There is also a raised brown mole next to it. I am really worried about this though. Can someone tell me what kind of mole that is. I cant find anything on it. Thank you :)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Experienced User
Mole
Well, without seeing, it's hard to tell what kind of mole it is. Because it has changed recently, I would see a dermatologist. I caught a malignant melanoma on my hip early and am one of the lucky ones. Since it's a recent change, chances are if it's anything dangerous, you can take care of it early. Early detection is the key. Most likely, it is a benign nevus (mole), but just to ease your mind, I would see a professional and have it checked out. Good luck!

Crystal
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Experienced User
A lot of moles start out as red and turn to brown. Moles under the armpit are so annoying i've had 3 removed. I say go to the dermatologist and get it removed and have a biopsy done on it!
|

replied September 14th, 2005
Just had a melanoma removed from my back. I couldn't see it, so I didn't know it was there. I was lucky, it was stage ia. At stage iii they start to worry about it spreading to the lymph nodes.

What concerns me about your description is the change in the mole. Go to a dermatologist.

The abcds of melanomas (signs)
a - assymetrical
b - irregular border
c - color, varied
d - diameter (bigger than a pencil eraser)
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....