Okay, I am one of the unlucky women who has just gotten the call that my pap smear is "abnormal", and I must come back in for a biopsy and the scope procedure. After crying for two days solid, I have come to my senses and decided to find out some more info on "abnormal" pap tests.

My appointment for follow-up, is, however, two weeks away. And I will most likely be insane with worry by then.

My question is this: can I call back and ask the nurse to tell me specifically what type of abnormality was found? (such as, dysplasia, etc.) I know from reading that those things are on the test results. Can she refuse to tell me? She offered no such information on the first phone call.

I would just like to be more prepared and informed for my visit. Not to mention i'm kinda freaking out. My mom died of breast cancer which makes this situation even more difficult for me.

So, do you think I can call and ask more information? Will they be able to tell me?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 14th, 2005
If it's really upsetting you this much then yes I say call back and express your worries. Whatever the answer it might be better for them to tell you now then making you wait. I don't believe they should be able to keep your own medical health from you.
|

replied August 14th, 2005
Thanks for the reply. You are right. I want to know more. I think i'll call first thing in the morning and ask what exactly makes my pap "abnormal"!!!!!
|

replied August 15th, 2005
Glad I could help and I hope its nothing serious. A lot can make a pap test abnormal. I've been told that before just because they didn't collect enough cells.
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...