About a month ago, I had a roughly 12-hour spell of diarrhea accompanied by hours of foul belching and general stomach discomfort. The next day, though, I was feeling much better and dismissed it as something bad that I ate.

This past sunday the same exact thing happened -- 12 hours of diarrhea and foul belching.

With both episodes, the bowel movements became increasingly painful.

A litlte background may help: during the week, I don't eat much, and on the weekends I tend to eat much more, both good food and fatty desserts. I've eaten this way for a few years. During the four weeks between episodes, however, I ate in my normal pattern -- not much during the week and a lot on the weekend -- with no ill effects.

Aside from this problem, i'm a healthy, 38-year-old male, 5'8", 145 pounds.

Thank you so much for any insight you may have into my situation.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 20th, 2009
Similar Experience
Several years ago, I had a very similar experience, except that the belches were not foul. My wife came down with the same thing a day or two later, and then I went through it again. Often it's a bit difficult to stay warm. It never lasts more than 24 hours and always seems to conclude with sweating. It happened again about a year later, and has happened every year or two since then.

I came down with it again today, and just went through the sweating. I have no insight into what causes it.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Stomach issues
I have had the same problem for 2 Years now.I always start out with foul belching then by night I have diarrhea and vomiting then I'm ok.Mine started at the end of my second pregnancy and happened once a week.Then after I had my daughter it happened once a month.I was so sick I was in and out of the ER.I had my gallbladder removed and it went away for a year.Then all of a sudden it returned : ( I need a diagnosis!!!
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....