Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Strange Eating Habits... Need Advice

Ok so heres the deal:

i am a 23 year old college student and I have very strange eating habits. I eat no meat at all (beef, chicken, seafood, nada lol) I also have almost no fruits or veggies in my diet (yea thats right all I basically eat are carbs) just the taste or texture of anything but makes me so nauseated that I run to the closest bathroom and yak. I have been like this pretty much all of my life. My docs say that everything bloodwork wise looks fine, and said as long as I feel ok... Not to worry. And I do physically feel ok, but its really starting to bug my boyfriend because we're starting to talk about marriage and kids and stuff, and obviously I need to eat better when I am pregnant.

So I need any help/advice I can get to get over this issue. I really want to eat like a "normal" person. Help!!

Meg
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 9th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi
Is there a reason why you eat only carbs? Is it part of a diet or something?

If you feel compelled to eat only the foods you eat, there may be a psychological factor in this...You might be doing this to stay skinny? :?:

if you just eat carbs b/c other stuff makes you sick, they maybe that's just the way you are. Try eating other foods like fruits sand veggies in small amounts and in the way you want it. Put fruit in your ceral. Just make sure you like it...Then you may start to like the taste better.

I hope I helped you a little, take care.
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Non-specified Ed
You and I have some things in common. I have some questions for you though, if you don't mind...
Would you consider yourself a "picky" eater?
Are most of the foods you eat cruncy and you like the way they feel as opposed to mushy foods?
Try to think about why you don't eat certain foods. You mentioned texture, but could it also be the way they look, how they are made or where they come from?
Basically I am trying to figure out just how similar our problems are. I am 27 now and I have been trying to get help for about 7 or 8 years now. I have done many hours of research online trying to find a name for what I consider my extreme pickyness. Recently, my husband and I have also been researching the nutritional aspect of me getting pregnant. The one difference in us that confuses me though is that you throw up. I haven't ever thrown up but have been really nauseated if a family member or friend continually insists that I try a new food. When I eat it I have to eat a very tiny amount. I wouldn't classify my disorder with the purging, belimia, and anorexia. I watch my weight as I feel most women do, but my problem was not started and does not continue because of wanting to lose/gain weight. I just don't like foods. I eat simply because I know my body needs food. The problem with my age/health is that I don't know if I have enough nutrients to sustain pregnancy. Doctors also tell me that I am healthy. Some things for you to research might be obsessive compulsive disorder a psychological thing where you are worried about the germs that come from the ground and are on the vegetables, or sensory integration disorder which deals with the textures of foods which I feel is my problem however, unless you have good doctors in your area you will be discouraged with the sensory disorder because most websites deal with children's symptoms of this disorder. I was actually on here looking for some answers to this. Write if you have any questions for me.
|

replied April 20th, 2006
Similar Eating Habits
Megalicious, I am a 43 year old male and I have very similar eating habits. I eat almost 100% carbs. Pizza, pasta without sauce, crackers, chips, pretzels, bread etc. When I was a child I vomitted at the thought of a teacher making me eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Jim m
|

replied March 27th, 2008
ok i have like the same extact problem, im 19, and its like all i can eat is kid-like foods like french fries mac n cheese bagels cookies cake donuts macaroni and im even picky about that, i wont eat a single fruit or vegtable, barely any meat, if i actually do i have to pick it apart be4 i eat it, and if someone tries to get me to try as food, even if its a normal food like corn i freak out, i never thought of it as an eating disorder until only acouple months ago and i despritly want to change but i cant ill buy myself good foods but wen it comes down to eating it i freak out n i cant do it, and due to the extreme lack of nutrtion im always sick. i never throw up the food, because i cant even get it in my mouth. im 19 yet i feel like im 50 sumtimes always so tired no energy nothing. i dont know wat to do
|

replied April 19th, 2008
I have always been a picky eater, and ever since I was little my parents (and others) have told me, "You don't eat enough to keep a bird alive."
I, too, eat mostly (I'd say 99.8%) carbs (pastas, potatoes, etc)... but I will occasionally eat fruit. I like bananas, grapes, and strawberries, watermelon, and (some) cantaloupe - although like I said, I hardly ever eat the fruit. Oh, and I really like chicken.

But most of the time, I can eat a few bites, and feel full. Sometimes it even gets to the point where I feel like if I put another bite of food in my mouth I will throw up. I even get a (sometimes very severe) gagging sensation in the back of my throat.

And like mecs1010, I am young (22) but feel quite old at times, have no energy (I have been known to sleep upwards of 20 a day), I have constant headaches (to the point where I feel strange if I DON'T have one)
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Hey You All,
Yes your eating habits are abnormal. Didn't Mom and Dad tell you so? If they didn't they were afraid you wouldn't like them if they did. You're adults now, and you'll likely know that not eating 'good stuff', including not eating protein to build and maintain your muscle and bones will eventually do you harm - big time! If you decide to go to the 'dark' side - your hair will start falling out, your bones will shrink, your brain will start telling you're better off dead...ooops, I am dead. Hello, wake up and eat! Enjoy life. God, or whoever(read superior being) designed you to be an eating, defecating, social human being, who should take every moment to suck in your breath and exhale and say 'Im lucky to be alive' would be offended. Go live life!
|

replied February 1st, 2010
strange eating, eating habit, eating, food habits, junk, junk fo
I am 20 years old. I only eat junk food. My diet consists of the following. Saltine crackers, ritz crackers, doritoes, cheetos, cheeze-its, goldfish, all chocolates, cookies, candy, honey nut cheerios, tostitos, ice cream, popcorn, pretzels. That is it...does anyone else eat similar to me and if so, have you been cured. I am in perfect shape, all my bloodwork is always perfect, but i am nervous that it may catch up to me.
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
Does anyone have odd eating quirks that lives in Los Angeles?
I'd love to hear more from people with unusual eating quirks who live in Los Angeles. I'm working on a new food docu-series, and we're looking to chat with people who want help from our experts when it comes to heir unique issues. If anyone is interested, please get in touch with Jessica, ASAP.
|

replied June 15th, 2010
I eat only foods that are dry and easy to eat, nothing that drips.
|

replied February 11th, 2011
I eat the same way, I'm 22 and I can't eat fruits or veggies.. I can eat certain meats like chicken, fish, and pork but they have to be fixed a certain way, I can't eat skinless chicken breast. I also can't "mix" my textures . I can't eat fruits or veggies whole because I'll puke (think the exorcist) but I have learned that I can eat them in smoothies or dehydrated (because they are crunchy not squishy), I have invested in a dehydrator and a margarita/smoothie blender. I also take vitamins daily. I hope this helps Smile
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....