Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

How to Take a Bottle Away From My 2 Year Old... (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
My 2 year old daughter(she will be 3 inoct.) wont leave the bottle.She really dont drink her bottle during the day maybe once or twice but at night she does .Sometimes I get up like 4 times a night to make her a bottle.Please help if you know some way.Thanks appreciate.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lalee
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
I dunno...I don't have any kids yet...But have you tried a sippie cup? Maybe get one with a cool cartoon character on it like dora the explorer...And then slowly get her to a real cup. I know my sister sucked her thumb (not kidding) until she was in the sixth grade and we had to force her to stop by convincing her that it was cool to paint her nails and if she sucked her thumb the paint would never stay (it worked)... I think maybe if you convince her that it was really cool to drink from a dora sippie cup she might wanna try it???? That might be lame but it might work...What do ya have to lose. Or you can just get rid of the bottles all together and one day start with the sippie cup or whatever...She might cry for a while but eventually she'll get over it if she has no choice (and eventually she'll forget about the bottle thing and get used to her sippie cup. I don't know if that's mean, but I don't think it would be. :d
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Experienced User
Give here water in a sippy cup, it souds like shes wanting to get up to have milk. But yeah give her watter in a sippy cup
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Experienced User
My daughter was almost three and still on the bottle and one day I just told her it was time to give it up and threw them all away together she fussed for a day or so but no big deal
|

replied November 17th, 2005
When I was a kid, my parents got me away from the bottle with a straw. You should try that.
|

replied December 6th, 2005
Too Old For a Bottle?
Just put water in the bottle and nothing else. Works realy quick.
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
To start off just take the bottle away during the day ...And let her have them at night...You dont want to cause her to have aniexty ...And that can happen when you take their bottle away at one time...Then once you have that accomplished ...Try taking it away during the night....One before bed and thats it....But if she does wake up during the night ...Sippie cup with water...And then soon she will just take that one before bed....But then when she stops waking up for that sippie cup....Try giving her water in her sippie cup before bed...And all will go well...Good luck...It worked for my friend....
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Experienced User
I am with frank. Only water in the bottle, it worked with my son. I let him drink milk and juice whenever he wanted it out of a sippy cup but the only thing he got out of the bottle was water. He lost interest really fast!

After about a week of water only bottle, he no longer wanted it at all and even helped me to throw them into the trash.

You can try the water only bottle during the day and milk bottles at night for awhile til she is totally off of it during the day and then start offering her sippy cup at bedtime and water only bottle in the crib with her (if she just needs the bottle for comfort rather than actual nutrition value).
|

replied April 3rd, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
This might not apply at all, and it's not about a bottle, but I sucked on a pacifier for a long time when I was little. Only at night, but I still did it. One night, my parents took it and threw it away, and I thought that i'd lost it. They "helped me look for it" and ultimately just made me go to bed without it. I had trouble sleeping that first night, but it was fine after that.
|

replied June 8th, 2006
Hm,

well all I can suggest is to just either put your foot down about it---if you start submitting to everything kids want this young, you're going to have one heck of a time later on! Or like the other mothers say, just give her a sippy cup.
|

replied August 29th, 2006
Re: How to Take a Bottle Away From My 2 Year Old...
Hi, just joined today......My daughter will be 2 in october and still takes a bottle and I still get up with her in the middle of the night also and the only way I can get her back to sleep is with a warm bottle. I give her a sippy cup during the day but she just likes to turn it over and bang it on the furniture till the milk runs out. Just wondering if the advice from the others helped you. Thanks...
|

replied August 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Bottles
Hi all!!

My son drank out of a bottle until he was 3! ( my girls did until they were only about 1 1/2) one day when he got home from daycare, I had hid all his bottles in the top of the cupboard. He would open up the cupboard and cry until he saw them on the top shelf. I ended up having to bag them and toss them. I did a tippy cup instead, but he cried for weeks for a regular bottle. It was hard and sometimes I actually gave in only giving him a bottle at night. Then one day, he was done all by himself. Good luck hon! It can be hard sometimes, but you can do it!

Jeannine
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2009
taking the bottle away
My daughter just turned one and Im thinking bout takin the bottle away, she has four teeth already. She sometimes needs one to go to bed but Im not sure how to do it right? Plus shes only on a med nipple, I have a few sippy cups but there so close to being a bottle, she doesnt know how to gulp or sip yet either, any ideas what I should do ? Should I just stick to the cup im using that only comes out when she bites and suck?
|

replied October 19th, 2009
Take the bottles away! You are only reinforcing an infantile sucking pattern that will make their teeth cray when they are older! It will totally suck for a couple of nights...but then you are done. And you will be much happier without the bottles!
|

replied December 29th, 2009
hi all. my daughter is 2 and a half. she still has a bottle about 5 times a day she just wont eat so ive taken 2\3 bottles away in the day i hid all the bottles.but still not eating properly. so now its bottle in morning 1 at nap time and 2 at nite.! just took her soother away bout 3 months ago. through it in the bin but said she "lost" it so got her to help look 4 it. lol really worked lol!! so will try a sippie cup this week. thanks
|

replied January 12th, 2010
18 month old still wakes up for bottle
i am going through the same thing with my 18 month old, without her bottle in the middle of the night i dont know how to get her back to sleep...sometimes she just cries and cries until she is wide awake...so i usually give in and give her the bottle so that i can go back to sleep...please help, i need advice that will not be too cruel to her. it breaks my heart when she wants her bottle and i try to keep it from her!
|

replied March 11th, 2010
2/15 year old still on bottles
my 2 1/2 year old daughter wakes 4-5 times a night i have tried water in bottle cups ect an she just wont sleep without bottle doesnt eat during day im assuming because of ammount of milk drunk in night and day nitemare help please x
|

replied April 5th, 2010
need help from the bottle
i have a 19th month son i took the bottle away for a week and he stop pooping and eating and got dehydrated with a fever so i had to give in and i bought every sippy cup there is need help[
|

replied April 5th, 2010
Throw the bottles away! You are the mom, your the one in control. It sucks at first, but the child will get over it. A child should not be drinking whike lying down anyways. That can cause ear infections, and drinking milk or juice in bed is bad for their teeth. Trust me... it does suck. The child will cry and cry and beg for the bottle. You may even cry because you feel you''re a mean mom, but you need to be strong for your child and just take it away. Allot of parents anymore cater to their children and give them what they want. That is not always the best way to do things. I know it is just easier to give them the bottle, but who said being a parent is easy. If you give them the things they want when you know deep down inside you should not, then you need to go with that gut feeling and take the smart path... taking the easy path won''t be so easy later:) I have a couple kids myself. I have been through it. Good luck!!! Smile
|

replied April 5th, 2010
Re: need help from the bottle
desireewright wrote:
i have a 19th month son i took the bottle away for a week and he stop pooping and eating and got dehydrated with a fever so i had to give in and i bought every sippy cup there is need help[

Are you sure your child wasn''t just sick at the time... I have never heard of that before because of a bottle.
|
Quick Reply