This is my first posting.
I have had chronic pain in my upper spine, shoulders and chest wall for 3 yrs. Following a fall when a beach chair collapsed. I felt the pain from my bottom to my neck. Had mri's and nothing can be pinpointed.
Have tried elavil, neurontin, topomax and now today was given cymbalta to try. I am afraid of so many side effects of all these drugs.
But am so tired of the constant annoying pain.
Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Peeved
|

replied August 22nd, 2006
Re: Cymbalta For Chronic Pain
beje wrote:
this is my first posting.

I have had chronic pain in my upper spine, shoulders and chest wall for 3 yrs. Following a fall when a beach chair collapsed. I felt the pain from my bottom to my neck. Had mri's and nothing can be pinpointed.

Have tried elavil, neurontin, topomax and now today was given cymbalta to try. I am afraid of so many side effects of all these drugs.
But am so tired of the constant annoying pain.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

after three hip surgeries, including a replacement at the age of 25, I sustained severe nerve damage in my hip/buttock.
I was taking 2400mg's of neurontin a day, plus handfulls of oxycodone- which left me more stonned than a zombie.
I told my dr that I would rather live in pain, that not be able to "function" because I was so "stonned".
He told me he had just heard of a new drug, cymbalta, that was an antidepressant that was found to help nerve damage.
I started on 20mg's, twice daily.
Wow!
It knocked my chronic nerve pain down to a constant 6-8, to a more bareable 4-6. (look, to me, that is alot- it improved my quality of life drastically)
i am now on 30mg twice daily and like the results even more.
I have absolutly zero side effects from cymbalta, other than "slight" tiredness, but not drowsy, or stonned feeling.
Best thing that i've found, other than thc, to help nerve pain.
Good luck!
|

replied August 23rd, 2006
Jack,

many doctors prescribe cymbalta for nerve pain. It is also an anti-depressant. It was originally intended for people with diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain. People that have used it have found that it does help with nerve pain. Hope you have tried it since it does not seem to have the same side effects of the other drugs prescribed for nerve pain, neurontin, lyrica, and topamax. Neurontin and topamax both seem to cause brain fog, (memory loss) and other undesirable side effects.

I have used topamax though and have found some pain relief with its use. It does take a few weeks though to get through the brain fog, hence the nickname, dopamax. Each person seems to have different reactions to these type drugs, so you really cannot go by anyone person's reaction to this drug. You have to try it yourself, since what I might find tolerable, you find intolerable. Also, neurontin, topamax and lyrica ( another new drug very similar to neurontin.) were originally prescribe for epileptics.

|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...