Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Painful Knot On Back of Neck~ Any Suggestions?

For the past 5-6 months I have had this knot on the back of my head proximity of where the occipital bone/gland is. At first it was hard but movable and didn't hurt then it started giving me localized headaches, now it hurts. Its a burning pain and it feels raw. I have been so weak and fatigued for months and I am not myself. I get emotional over every little thing and quite frankly I find life depressing. Now my husband is afraid that this could be something like hodgkin's. Great more depressing stress! (my mom was dx with breast ca in may and my grandpa is having kidney failure, life bites) anyone have any suggestion or similar symptoms? I work at a hospital but i'd feel so stupid going up to the docs and saying "will you feel my head and tell me if i'm going to die?"
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cryschapm
|

replied August 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
Unfortunately, I can't tell you much. From what you have described, your knot is most likely a benign tumour. I don't think your depression is because of it...I mean it is possible to be caused by you continuously worrying about it.

However, the pain and the headaches signal that your tumour must be taken seriously. So, please put aside your feeling "stupid" about going to the doctor because you have no reason to feel this way. Everyone needs a doctor now and then and the fact that you work in a hospital doesn't mean you don't have to. If you really can't get over this feeling of embarassment then go to some other hospital where no one knows you. Whatever your choice, please go see a doctor. As time passes by, chances are your condition will worsen. Don't risk your health and life because of a silly thing...It is not worth it.

Good luck!
|

replied February 22nd, 2009
i'm experiencing the same thing
did you ever find out what it was?
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi cryschapm, did you ever find out what your knot/lump was? I have something similar on the back of my neck.
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....